• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our future QB?

rmoneyg35

4 hours ago, Dory said:

I'm pretty sure Mac Jones did not have even one TD to a member of the 2020 Patriots

And that's where you go wrong.  Just a quick glance shows me at least five.  I would encourage you and other folks who want to make arguments like this to actually do some research and understand what you're saying.  It's easy to have an opinion.

The Patriots are a better team this year, clearly.  But just as clearly, Mac Jones was part of that improvement.  Better football minds than you or me looked at the situation there and made that exact analysis.  

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

When you started talking about Jay Gruden, I was expecting the conversation to be about Kirk Cousins.

Yeah but to be fair I don’t think we have the money to get him. Where as Dalton would be affordable. It’s not that I want Dalton as much as I think he makes the most sense and considering how we always sign the players we don’t want then I think it’s a high probability we get him, of course only if we sign Gruden. I would love Cousins but how can we afford him and what would we have to give up for him? Why would Minnesota get rid of a  good qb?

2 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Yeah but to be fair I don’t think we have the money to get him. Where as Dalton would be affordable. It’s not that I want Dalton as much as I think he makes the most sense and considering how we always sign the players we don’t want then I think it’s a high probability we get him, of course only if we sign Gruden. I would love Cousins but how can we afford him and what would we have to give up for him? Why would Minnesota get rid of a  good qb?

Fair point that Dalton would be more affordable, though I don't necessarily think Cousins next contract is going to be quite as lucrative as his prior one.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Fair point that Dalton would be more affordable, though I don't necessarily think Cousins next contract is going to be quite as lucrative as his prior one.

I find it funny how some people think I’m some horrible person for saying this. I don’t want Dalton but he makes a lot of sense considering the circumstances. We need a good vet back up and Dalton can be that for a good price and would be familiar with Grudens system. If we keep Darnold I would rather have Dalton as our back up than PJ Walker, Dalton is better than Walker and has way more experience and can offer veteran help that Pj couldn’t offer. I would love cousins, I would love Minshew but I just don’t see us getting him and let’s be honest the front office is known to let us down so Dalton being the vet qb they end up getting makes sense.

12 hours ago, mc52beast said:

If Gruden is our OC next season Darnold could be expendable. Gruden’s system is based on timing and Sam sucks at that.

I don't necessarily think Darnold is going anywhere for obvious reasons, but I can get behind a system based on timing routes and getting the ball out quicker. Perhaps I'm still suffering from the post traumatic stress of it all, but I don't remember seeing many timing routes under Brady (or Nixon). I certainly don't think Darnold can do it, as he's lost in the headlights somewhere, but I'm not sure about Dalton either.

14 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't necessarily think Darnold is going anywhere for obvious reasons, but I can get behind a system based on timing routes and getting the ball out quicker. Perhaps I'm still suffering from the post traumatic stress of it all, but I don't remember seeing many timing routes under Brady (or Nixon). I certainly don't think Darnold can do it, as he's lost in the headlights somewhere, but I'm not sure about Dalton either.

There's a couple of different possibilities here...

Gruden's a bit of a control freak (no shock) and his system is a tad rigid sometimes. That could actually be to Darnold's benefit.

What the Gruden version of the WCO is also known to be though is complicated. As far as that benefiting Darnold, not so much.

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Agree. You either go draft or wait. Anything else will just be a continuation of the Teddy/Darnold disaster train.

You know it...how many times are you going to try the same thing and it doesnt work till you at least try something different... draft is a crap shoot but dang, quit picking these worthless qb's and runnin up the dead cap money..

5 hours ago, davos said:

I'm still bracing for Kenny Pickett come draft time.  Their whole acknowledgment of the crap OL only after the season was over is typical BS from them.  Rhule is going to want Pickett and get him.  

The whole Rhule / Pickett thing bothers me.  Like, bad.

Here's the thing: If you can bring yourself to look objectively at Pickett without the lens of connection to Rhule, he's actually a pretty good prospect.  But the whole Rhule being in charge thing just makes me scared.  I don't have confidence in his objectivity.

Pickett might be a franchise QB.  And if I knew that Rhule was going to be completely uninvolved in evaluation and drafting, I'd be ok with us taking him.  If our SCOUTS think he's a franchise guy.  But with Rhule involved and employing PJ Walker, I can't have any faith in the objectivity of our staff.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:41 PM, Skack25 said:

They booed Dalton because Nagy refused to play Fields.  We don't have that luxury here.  I would still not touch Dalton with a 10 foot pole.  Sadly, we are going to have to make Sam earn his money.  He's going to be the starter next year.

If he gets us the 2023 no. 1 overall and a franchise QB. He earned that money. In fact, we probably should have paid Jimmy Clausen more

8 hours ago, BrianS said:

The whole Rhule / Pickett thing bothers me.  Like, bad.

Here's the thing: If you can bring yourself to look objectively at Pickett without the lens of connection to Rhule, he's actually a pretty good prospect.  But the whole Rhule being in charge thing just makes me scared.  I don't have confidence in his objectivity.

Pickett might be a franchise QB.  And if I knew that Rhule was going to be completely uninvolved in evaluation and drafting, I'd be ok with us taking him.  If our SCOUTS think he's a franchise guy.  But with Rhule involved and employing PJ Walker, I can't have any faith in the objectivity of our staff.

Yeah nooooo!! Even with the Matt Rhule failed Goggles!! Kenny Pickett would be a bad prospect in a suspect QB class..