• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A few answers from The Athletic's mailbag

Mr. Scot

Some excerpts from Joe Person's latest (link)

On Rhule's job security...

From what I’ve been told, Rhule is handling the OC interviews himself, which would seem to be an odd task to give a guy you were about to fire. I also don’t think the Panthers would have Rhule make a couple of appearances on Charlotte sports talk radio last week if he were on his way out.

On the deafening silence from David Tepper...

My sense is Tepper doesn’t feel like he has anything to say. Obviously, he’s not pleased with the results. But even before he hired Rhule, Tepper referenced Rome not being built in a day — then hired a coach known for methodically rebuilding broken programs. I’ve asked the PR staff about making Tepper available and will continue to do so. But I wouldn’t read too much into the silent treatment.

On possible options at QB...

If the Watson sweepstakes get too rich or the former Clemson QB wants to play somewhere else, the Panthers could pivot if another proven passer becomes available. But with Sam Darnold under contract next season at $18.9 million, the Panthers have to be sure they’re actually upgrading — Derek Carr would qualify; Jimmy Garoppolo, not so much — or else they’re back in the same boat as last season when they arguably would have been better off keeping Bridgewater.

The draft is a possibility, and Rhule’s ties to Pickett can’t be ignored. 

On the likelihood of Haason Reddick getting an extension...

Barring some creative solutions from salary-cap manager Samir Suleiman, the Gilmore vs. Jackson debate figures to be an either/or proposition. I’d probably lean toward Jackson — he’s four years younger than Gilmore — as long as his price doesn’t get too steep.

With Fitterer and Rhule making it clear the priorities are offensive line and quarterback, that might mean Reddick gets squeezed out...

The Panthers value Reddick as a pass rusher and a leader, and there’s a natural fit in Phil Snow’s defense for the former Temple player. But it might not make financial sense.

On what position Brady Christensen ends up playing...

Rhule and Fitterer both said nice things about Christensen and left open the possibility that last year’s third-round pick could be the left tackle of the future. But they also made sure to point out Christensen’s versatility, with Rhule saying he’s confident Christensen will start … somewhere. But given what we’ve heard from Rhule previously about Christensen’s arm length and the fact that this is a draft loaded with talent at the tackle position, I’d bet they draft a tackle high and slide Christensen inside to guard.

On potential trades for draft picks...

The rest of the Panthers’ draft inventory includes a fourth, two fifths, a sixth and a seventh. It’ll take some draft-weekend magic for Fitterer to take that chicken slop and make chicken salad. It could mean moving players.

A personnel official with another NFC team said the Panthers’ top four trade chips are Christian McCaffrey, receiver D.J. Moore, defensive end Brian Burns and linebacker Shaq Thompson. And though Fitterer said he’s not looking to trade McCaffrey, he indicated he would listen to offers for everyone, the All-Pro running back included.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1