• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A few answers from The Athletic's mailbag

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Watson would immediately make the Panthers competitive. Any other plan of action would be long term, like try to have a good team by 2024.

I don't think Rhule is going anywhere unless next season is a disaster.

If we keep Rhule after another losing season(high probability), we aren't going to be seeing meaningful success for a very long time.

But, we will have some glory years to remember in the pre-Tepper era. Technically we will be able to say we lived through the best years of the franchise. That isn't nothing.

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If we keep Rhule after another losing season(high probability), we aren't going to be seeing meaningful success for a very long time.

But, we will have some glory years to remember in the pre-Tepper era. Technically we will be able to say we lived through the best years of the franchise. That isn't nothing.

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Canes are the best team in the NHL, Hornets could sneak into being a 5 seed.

Pro sports is going well right now for NC. Don't let the Panthers dampen the mood.

Maybe Tepper is just waiting for Rhule to find the right college job so he's not on the hook for 5 more years of his contract..Dunno why else you'd let this weasel sniff around at college jobs constantly while blowing up his own staff just to buy himself some time of the inevitable. He already looked at Penn St and was interested in LSU but they weren't interested in him 

15 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Maybe Tepper is just waiting for Rhule to find the right college job so he's not on the hook for 5 more years of his contract..Dunno why else you'd let this weasel sniff around at college jobs constantly while blowing up his own staff just to buy himself some time of the inevitable. He already looked at Penn St and was interested in LSU but they weren't interested in him 

Tepper isn't waiting. That would be accidentally losing him.

I would say Tepper has grounds for termination without pay IF Rhule truly is interviewing and openly discussing these other opportunities with the team.

We don’t know if any of this is true but this would be conduct detrimental to team building and therefore seems Tepper could legally fire hire without paying the rest of the contract. 

On 1/21/2022 at 11:04 AM, travisura said:

Why would someone who loves soccer and would support an MLS team going to have animosity towards the team just because Tepper is the owner? From everything I've seen, he's had nothing to do with hiring the Manager or any roster decisions. I know people on this board can't disconnect Tepper from the soccer team, (and some of y'all are convinced he's prioritizing soccer over football) but I have a feeling most folks in the real world can divorce the Panthers from Charlotte FC and let both teams sink or swim on their own.

Charlotte and surrounding areas has a huge fanbase potential of those who have never really watched soccer, many of whom are Panthers fans. It is perfectly reasonable to expect the same standards from an owner from one franchise to another. Businesses are often associated with the owner and a substandard appearance in one will likely be associated with the same in another. 

Rhule has embarrassed himself with his comments and his coaching.  By keeping Rhule, despite the team collapsing after 3-0 start, and stating the only way for Rhule to keep his job is hire a Rockstar OC, Tepper is telling potential fans he's not really serious about delivering a quality product. And if hes not going to at least attempt to deliver a quality football product, potential fans can expect the same for his MLS team. Same owner, same standards. 

4 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Charlotte and surrounding areas has a huge fanbase potential of those who have never really watched soccer, many of whom are Panthers fans. It is perfectly reasonable to expect the same standards from an owner from one franchise to another. Businesses are often associated with the owner and a substandard appearance in one will likely be associated with the same in another. 

Rhule has embarrassed himself with his comments and his coaching.  By keeping Rhule, despite the team collapsing after 3-0 start, and stating the only way for Rhule to keep his job is hire a Rockstar OC, Tepper is telling potential fans he's not really serious about delivering a quality product. And if hes not going to at least attempt to deliver a quality football product, potential fans can expect the same for his MLS team. Same owner, same standards. 

This is just my own perspective, but I am an avid Panthers fan, and I'm going to be an avid Charlotte FC fan. I do not hold both teams to the same standard because they are both owned by the same person. I am not going to assume that Charlotte FC is automatically going to be a bad team just because the Panthers are at the moment. And I'm also not going to immediately blame any potential shortcomings on Charlotte FC's part, on the fact that Tepper is the owner. They are two different teams, with two different GMs, and two different head coaches. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah...that's a total fantasy.

Lair they went.....<checks notes>..... 4-12 during his career year!

......wait one second......

Disregard that statement, I can not edit..... At least he.... <checks notes again>... he only had two ACL injuries... Panthers fan know about Thomas Davis and his great journey, who cares he is the only player in NFL history to come back form 3. Watson got one in the bank!!! 

He surly will last behind thee great panthers OL!! Trade Burns, CMC, and three 1st!!1!1!!11!!!