• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does David Tepper gravitate to NFL outsiders?

hepcat

It feels like the Panthers have been pushed outside the NFL circle since David Tepper bought the team. I have a feeling the other NFL owners don’t really respect David. He’s the newest owner and he came from more humble beginnings. He blew up the coaching pay scale when he hired Matt Rhule and I can’t imagine the other owners were happy about that. Jerry Richardson was the opposite, having been an NFL player and bringing the Panthers to life in the first place, he was well liked by the other owners. Tepper seems to gravitate to NFL outsiders, and maybe that’s not by choice. Matt Rhule had one year experience in the NFL, as an assistant offensive line coach. Most of the coaching staff under Matt Rhule had minimal NFL experience. And now Ben McAdoo becomes the offensive coordinator, and guy who spent several seasons out of the NFL entirely after being fired by the Giants. He was a guy who couldn’t even get a QB coach position on the Panthers after the disaster that was the 2020 Jaguars offense. For better or worse, the David Tepper owned Panthers don’t seem to be running in the same circles as the rest of the NFL. It’s gonna take a long time to fix this mess. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Ben was gainfully employed by the Jag’s in 2020 and the Cowboys in 2021.

He was a terrible HC for giants 2015-16, out of nfl 2017-2019, bad at jaguars in 2020, a consultant in 2021. Lol barely employed in 6 years to becoming an OC . Dude maybe u should read up on peoples background like you do psls, because you don’t know sh@t!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Not buying what you're selling. Basically Tepper is still trying to figure it out. The current state of the team has nothing to do with a conspiracy and everything to do with allowing an inexperienced NFL head coach make bad decisions. It's on Tepper, and not the league. 

As for Ben McAdoo, he's not an outsider, he just wasn't a very good HC. He's a decent hire,  considering our options, who should make our offense at least functional based upon his NFL experience alone.

And lastly, owners can pay coaches what they want. There really is no scale per se. Tepper didn't "blow up" anything (except possibly the Panthers' status as a serious destination for the top coaches and free agents, but that's another story).

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Not buying what you're selling. Basically Tepper is still trying to figure it out. The current state of the team has nothing to do with a conspiracy and everything to do with allowing an inexperienced NFL head coach make bad decisions. It's on Tepper, and not the league. 

As for Ben McAdoo, he's not an outsider, he just wasn't a very good HC. He's a decent hire,  considering our options, who should make our offense at least functional based upon his NFL experience alone.

And lastly, owners can pay coaches what they want. There really is no scale per se. Tepper didn't "blow up" anything (except possibly the Panthers' status as a serious destination for the top coaches and free agents, but that's another story).

I would hold the phone on the "functional offense" idea. Even if McAdoo was good as an OC, he has his work cut out for him with what we have currently and that's assuming our roster doesn't get worse this offseason. 

I definitely remember plenty of people saying after 2020 that the OL couldn't possibly be worse. Rhule/Fitt said "hold my beer."

• Flames 3

29 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I would hold the phone on the "functional offense" idea. Even if McAdoo was good as an OC, he has his work cut out for him with what we have currently and that's assuming our roster doesn't get worse this offseason. 

I definitely remember plenty of people saying after 2020 that the OL couldn't possibly be worse. Rhule/Fitt said "hold my beer."

Our offense was ranked 28th with inexperienced guys that never held the position and frankly shouldn't have been OCs. Hell, you had a writer who seemed to understand some concepts better than they did. That's what inexperience gets you.

Sure, McAdoo has his work cut out for him, but he had his work cut out for him before and the Giants made gradual improvements. I don't expect us to be in the top half of the league this year, but I think that we can certainly get out of the bottom 25 percent with the weapons that we have on offense, notwithstanding our O-line. 

As for McAdoo being an outsider and unemployed, he was anything but according to his article.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-coaches-panthers-oc-ben-mcadoo/

Sure, he didn't have a traditional role, but just the fact that he was respected for his knowledge by McCarthy and Quinn should tell you something. And though they ultimately failed (thank goodness 😄), the Cowboys had the most prolific offense in the NFL this season. We don't know how much of that can be attributed to McAdoo's pre-planning but he was employed for a reason.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

As for McAdoo being an outsider and unemployed, he was anything but according to his article.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-coaches-panthers-oc-ben-mcadoo/

Sure, he didn't have a traditional role, but just the fact that he was respected for his knowledge by McCarthy and Quinn should tell you something. And though they ultimately failed (thank goodness 😄), the Cowboys had the most prolific offense in the NFL this season. We don't know how much of that can be attributed to McAdoo's pre-planning but he was employed for a reason.

He was out of the NFL for two years in 2018-2019. He was QB coach on the 2020 Jaguars who went 1-15. He interviewed for the QB coach position on the Panthers in both 2020 and 2021 and did not get it. 

Let’s keep putting lipstick on this pig and polishing this turd though. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Our offense was ranked 28th with inexperienced guys that never held the position and frankly shouldn't have been OCs. Hell, you had a writer who seemed to understand some concepts better than they did. That's what inexperience gets you.

Sure, McAdoo has his work cut out for him, but he had his work cut out for him before and the Giants made gradual improvements. I don't expect us to be in the top half of the league this year, but I think that we can certainly get out of the bottom 25 percent with the weapons that we have on offense, notwithstanding our O-line. 

We will see. I am not particularly hopeful.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

He was out of the NFL for two years in 2018-2019. He was QB coach on the 2020 Jaguars who went 1-15. He interviewed for the QB coach position on the Panthers in both 2020 and 2021 and did not get it. 

Let’s keep putting lipstick on this pig and polishing this turd though. 

Damn... two years ago Rhule deemed this guy unworthy of a position coach job and now he's hiring him as OC. That's about as concrete of proof that you've gone from choosing to begging in your hiring process. Has McAdoo even been considered for other OC jobs in the meantime?

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Damn... two years ago Rhule deemed this guy unworthy of a position coach job and now he's hiring him as OC. That's about as concrete of proof that you've gone from choosing to begging in your hiring process. Has McAdoo even been considered for other OC jobs in the meantime?

This is exactly my point. The Panthers have positioned themselves outside the regular NFL circles. Rhule doesn’t have many NFL connections outside of one season he spent with Tom Coughlin and it’s hurting the team. Tepper seems to actually LIKE hiring NFL outsiders from Pennsylvania.

• Pie 1