• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does David Tepper gravitate to NFL outsiders?

hepcat

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

He was out of the NFL for two years in 2018-2019. He was QB coach on the 2020 Jaguars who went 1-15. He interviewed for the QB coach position on the Panthers in both 2020 and 2021 and did not get it. 

Let’s keep putting lipstick on this pig and polishing this turd though. 

This isn't putting lipstick on anything. We don't have to make up narratives that don't exist to cry and whine about Tepper making the decision to let Rhule run things.

Being out of a job a couple years hardly makes you an outsider. That's ludicrous. 

• Beer 1

Uh JR was in no way any better in this regard. He gleefully sucked off the NFL at the teams expense. Didn't stick up for the team in the face of adversity and bullshit like with Spygate which the Panthers were the main victim of btw....video taping our SB poo and in game it was obvious.

fug JR too, for multiple reasons.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This isn't putting lipstick on anything. We don't have to make up narratives that don't exist to cry and whine about Tepper making the decision to let Rhule run things.

Being out of a job a couple years hardly makes you an outsider. That's ludicrous. 

McAdoo wasn’t the right fit for the QB coach position on Rhule’s staff in 2020 or 2021 but now he’s the offensive coordinator? That doesn’t inspire me that he’s a desired coach on many other staffs around the NFL. Seems like he took the only offensive coordinator job he might ever get again. 

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

McAdoo wasn’t the right fit for the QB coach position on Rhule’s staff in 2020 or 2021 but now he’s the offensive coordinator? That doesn’t inspire me that he’s a desired coach on many other staffs around the NFL. Seems like he took the only offensive coordinator job he might ever get again. 

It also suggests that Rhule hasn't broadened his NFL circle doubling back to re-interview previously rejected candidates for bigger roles than they were previously rejected from.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Uh JR was in no way any better in this regard. He gleefully sucked off the NFL at the teams expense. Didn't stick up for the team in the face of adversity and bullshit like with Spygate which the Panthers were the main victim of btw....video taping our SB poo and in game it was obvious.

fug JR too, for multiple reasons.

I agree with everything you said. But I also recognize that JR’s last two head coaching hires took the team to a Super Bowl. Right now I’m not hopeful the team goes back to the Super Bowl until I’m a geriatric 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It also suggests that Rhule hasn't broadened his NFL circle doubling back to re-interview previously rejected candidates for bigger roles than they were previously rejected from.

This is where I wonder is it just Matt Rhule who has a limited professional network? Or is it also Tepper? You’d think Fitterer and Dan Morgan would have more connections to help with a coaching search. That also begs the very real question we’ve all wondered that who would really want to take a job on a sinking ship like the Panthers? And even moreso, why did David Tepper need to pay a mediocre college coach like Matt Rhule so much money to coach the Panthers?

None of it makes sense. It reeks of incompetency and seems like no one wants to work for the Panthers. 

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

This is where I wonder is it just Matt Rhule who has a limited professional network? Or is it also Tepper? You’d think Fitterer and Dan Morgan would have more connections to help with a coaching search. That also begs the very real question we’ve all wondered that who would really want to take a job on a sinking ship like the Panthers? And even moreso, why did David Tepper need to pay a mediocre college coach like Matt Rhule so much money to coach the Panthers?

None of it makes sense. It reeks of incompetency and seems like no one wants to work for the Panthers. 

Fitterer's and Morgan's connection don't matter here. This is Rhule's organization. Ultimately he's going to hire guys he's comfortable with out of his very limited circle.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, hepcat said:

That's possible, but that may be due to politics and making divisive decisions as HC. But, then again, he is still relatively young so the possibility of him getting another opportunity as OC (or even HC) wasn't exactly dead. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fitterer's and Morgan's connection don't matter here. This is Rhule's organization. Ultimately he's going to hire guys he's comfortable with out of his very limited circle.

Yea, it’s Rhule’s staff. But you’d hope at the very least I’d hope the other professionals in the organization would be helping him make good decisions. Ben McAdoo just doesn’t move the needle. He wasn’t a desired candidate anywhere else and it seemed like he was almost pushed out of the NFL after he benched Eli Manning, one of the NFL’s golden boys. Hence my point in the thread - NFL outsiders and David Tepper. The Panthers are  becoming the NFL’s island of misfit toys. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, hepcat said:

It feels like the Panthers have been pushed outside the NFL circle since David Tepper bought the team. I have a feeling the other NFL owners don’t really respect David. He’s the newest owner and he came from more humble beginnings. He blew up the coaching pay scale when he hired Matt Rhule and I can’t imagine the other owners were happy about that. Jerry Richardson was the opposite, having been an NFL player and bringing the Panthers to life in the first place, he was well liked by the other owners. Tepper seems to gravitate to NFL outsiders, and maybe that’s not by choice. Matt Rhule had one year experience in the NFL, as an assistant offensive line coach. Most of the coaching staff under Matt Rhule had minimal NFL experience. And now Ben McAdoo becomes the offensive coordinator, and guy who spent several seasons out of the NFL entirely after being fired by the Giants. He was a guy who couldn’t even get a QB coach position on the Panthers after the disaster that was the 2020 Jaguars offense. For better or worse, the David Tepper owned Panthers don’t seem to be running in the same circles as the rest of the NFL. It’s gonna take a long time to fix this mess. 

I have the same thoughts. I would imagine some of them  that were upset when he gave Rhule the $ contract he did are privately glad it isn’t going so smoothly in Carolina.

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Yea, it’s Rhule’s staff. But you’d hope at the very least I’d hope the other professionals in the organization would be helping him make good decisions. Ben McAdoo just doesn’t move the needle. He wasn’t a desired candidate anywhere else and it seemed like he was almost pushed out of the NFL after he benched Eli Manning, one of the NFL’s golden boys. Hence my point in the thread - NFL outsiders and David Tepper. The Panthers are  becoming the NFL’s island of misfit toys. 

We have a front office who was hired knowing that Rhule had the final say on everything football related. Now maybe they didn't realize how hard headed he'd be in terms of actually listening to and receiving sound advice. That's very possible. But good GM candidates don't take jobs as baby sitters for college coaches. Morgan likely deeply regrets leaving a solid organization in Buffalo.

11 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

So what?

Probably just wanted to spend a little time with family/friends and hunt and fish…

…you know, like Luke.

Has he come out and said it was an intentional sabbatical? Because the more likely scenario is like the NFL at large wasn’t happy he benched Eli Manning, one of the golden children of the NFL, and there wasn’t any interest in his services. He took a job on a doomed 2020 Jaguars staff, had an outside consulting role for an old colleague in Mike McCarthy which seems like a job he got almost out of pity, and McAdoo again finds himself on a doomed staff. It’s just not a situation that inspires any confidence this staff is going to put together a winning team. It feels like a collection of guys who couldn’t get jobs on most of the other NFL coaching staffs.