• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McAdoo's x-ray vision for QBs

top dawg

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

Other than his obvious track record of markedly turning around a 28th ranked Giants' offense. Perhaps the best thing about Ben McAdoo is his eye for talent at QB. 

Most of us have heard that he wasn't a fan of drafting Sam Darnold, but Anthony Rizzuti brought us even more reason to be hopeful. 

"That keen eye was first noted back in 2017, when the then head coach of the New York Giants reportedly made a spirited push to select a fella named Patrick Mahomes. According to a report the day after 2017’s first round from ESPN radio host Anita Marks, McAdoo was said to have loved the Texas Tech product and was “very upset” a trade-up to secure Mahomes did not happen."

So, he pushed for Mahomes? Smart dude! But let's look even further. You know he wasn't a fan of drafting Sammy, but when you look at who he did want to draft it should offer you encouragement.

“McAdoo had Allen — taken by the Bills at No. 7 — at his top quarterback based on his 'high ceiling,' noted beat writer Paul Schwartz. 'His second-rated player was Lamar Jackson of Louisville, who went No. 32 to the Ravens...'"

Rizzuti based McAdoo's board in 2018 as:

1. Allen
2. Jackson
3. Darnold
4. Rosen
5. Rudolph
6. Mayfield

And as noted by Rizzuti, that's not bad. It's almost extraordinary to be honest. The two he rated highly bespeaks of a recognition of the modern NFL, as does Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes.

Between McAdoo's eye for talent and resume for turning a bad offense around, the hire is not as terrible as some are putting on. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/22/ben-mcadoos-keen-eye-for-quarterbacks-could-help-panthers/

It takes a real eye for talent to name the better performing QBs in any given year.

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Yes!  Is the Oline a problem? Sure it is, but QB is a bigger problem. If anybody needs proof just look at the Bengals. Their line is just as bad, but the difference is they have Burrow. 

There arent many Burrows around though.  Some of the qbs currently considered great would look below average behind a terrible o line.

Just now, Wes21 said:

I wonder how much of McAdoo's choices are hindsight.  However, if taken at face value it looks like he likes the guys with the biggest arms and best traits.  He assumes he can just coach the guy into being a good QB.  

None of that was hindsight.

• Beer 1

Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson sounds like he is all for the high ceiling guys not necessarily high floor. If we draft one and he has his input Willis would fit that description the most out of this class.  Not saying I’m for it or against it, but he fits the most the best. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

I wonder how much of McAdoo's choices are hindsight.  However, if taken at face value it looks like he likes the guys with the biggest arms and best traits.  He assumes he can just coach the guy into being a good QB.  

I thought Mahomes was going to be a top QB as well. I suppose I'm qualified to be an NFL level OC.

Yea this is the only hope we got...have this guy pick a QB then fire him and the rest of the coaching staff. If Tepper was as shrewd a businessman as he leads on....course thus far we all know his brass balls schtick is really deflated wrinkly balloons but here's to hopin 

13 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Mahomes, Allen, and Jackson sounds like he is all for the high ceiling guys not necessarily high floor. If we draft one and he has his input Willis would fit that description the most out of this class.  Not saying I’m for it or against it, but he fits the most the best. 

Or Jordan Love…