• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1/22 Game Thread: Canes @ NJ Devils Puck Drop: 7PM

Anybodyhome

10 minutes ago, Lets get it Canes said:

Hahahaha ok man. 7-4. Jersey scored a TD against us. We got walked. Bull poo in Freddie not playing.  He didn’t really get that much work last night. If anything raanta should have played. Leaving today…they are pros that get paid to play. Lose 3-2. Fine. Lose 4-7. That’s bad goalie and team play. Top to bottom they got worked. And it’s was one game??? It was against the worst team by a mile in the division.  5 games ago we lost to Columbus 6-0. I’ll give that one “it happens”. This one was trash. Need to be better. 

You can lose 7-4 and not get dog walked… 4 of New Jersey’s 7 goals would have probably been stopped by an NHL tender. Did we play our best no… but this needed to happen so that we can address our needs prior to the trade deadline.

Your thinking is way too shortsighted. Just imagine a scenario where we make the playoffs and then both Freddie and Raanta go down… we would have then had no choice but to put LaFontaine in.

The Canes now know that LaFontaine needs time in the AHL and they can address the need for a third goalie via trade. Jaroslav Halak, Martin Jones, and Anton Forsberg are all pending UFA’s and should be available.

• Pie 2

As bad as the goalie was, we were tired too. You could see it. Like Tripp said you don’t go straight to sleep after a huge win over a top team in your division, also most likely the uncertainty of do they fly that night or in the morning probably threw off routines. By the second period the fresh devils were skating with us and by the third they were skating circles around us.

I don’t like putting Lorentz up with the ones, he generated no chances for Aho or Jarvis. Not knocking him but I don’t think he fits the Aho line, at least not without a practice. He’s much better on the 3-4 or maybe two. We should have broken up two and put Svech or even Necas or Fast up there before Lorentz. We needed first line generation in the third and got none. 

Edited by Harbingers

In my opinion, RBA probably had several reasons for playing Laff. Raanta may not be back to 100%, Freddie was not ready after a late night and there was probably a belief the Canes could beat a bad NJ team despite the back-to-back, late night, screwed up travel, etc.

But starting a rook in his first game has its own challenges. The most important being his time in net. I get it- you could forever screw his head up after he gives up 5 and you pull him. Sometimes you just have to let him get his initiation and go through this, win or lose.

Today, we're 2 points behind the Rangers, but they have 2 more losses and we have 4 games in hand. 5 games in hand with Tampa Bay and 3 with Florida- both of them are at 61 points.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Hopefully Raanta is good to go know. A friend of mine sits in the box right next to Dundon and overheard him telling an individual that Raanta was out due to getting hit in the head with a puck in practice.

It would not surprise me. Ever since he charged that puck I feel like he’s been dealing with concussion symptoms. I figured he was out due to lingering symptoms(ala TT last year)/not being that good recently. 

• Pie 1

Had a strong start, petered out.

This is where I wish we'd've kept Ned for a couple more seasons and see if there was any growth as a starter.

Never been too big on AR, Freddie is mostly good but leaky, The Man Who Laffs is just not ready for the big league yet and Lyon isn't great on the big stage yet either.

If only we hadn't used Ward so much all those years...