• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things couldn’t have set up better for Tepper and Rhule

mcsmoak

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I agree. IF we could get him for a future 3rd, I wouldnt be mad. 

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. But I think Baker would net at least a 1st. Potentially more. Possibly a lot more. We traded a 2nd, 4th, and 6th for the statistically worst starting QB in recent NFL memory. 😂

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. But I think Baker would net at least a 1st. Potentially more. Possibly a lot more. We traded a 2nd, 4th, and 6th for the statistically worst starting QB in recent NFL memory. 😂

I've read 2nd round picks would get the deal done, and that Derek Carr would be the more attractive candidate this offseason. Whats wild is that the following QBs can be acquired this offseason:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Russell Wilson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Baker Mayfield
5. Jimmy G
6. Derek Carr
7. Deshaun Watson*

We have never seen this many QBs on the block in a single offseason. Its crazy.

There are no shortcut quarterbacks we can acquire from another team to bypass that. - @frankw

See above.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I've read 2nd round picks would get the deal done, and that Derek Carr would be the more attractive candidate this offseason. Whats wild is that the following QBs can be acquired this offseason:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Russell Wilson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Baker Mayfield
5. Jimmy G
6. Derek Carr
7. Deshaun Watson*

Yeah, big time marquee QBs could potentially drive the price down. A perceived weak QB draft class could potentially balance that out though. We'll see. Baker is a guy I could roll the dice on. Rolling the dice on Darnold was a joke.

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, big time marquee QBs could potentially drive the price down. A perceived weak QB draft class could potentially balance that out though. We'll see. Baker is a guy I could roll the dice on. Rolling the dice on Darnold was a joke.

Darnold was hope, not rationale. Even Joe Brady said he didnt even watch film on the kid because he wanted to start with a blank slate. Which in hindsight was foolish. 

The QBs that are available this offseason though, thats a different story. They are franchise gamers. The cardinals went back to back season of drafting QBs to find their fit. We shouldnt rule that out since the first trade didnt work. I just think we bring in more scouts to help this time, or even ask Ben his opinion. 

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Russell Wilson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Baker Mayfield
5. Jimmy G
6. Derek Carr
7. Deshaun Watson*

I think Wilson ends up staying put and Rodgers stays put or retires. 

The only possible scenario for Rodgers might be San Fran but then why did you trade the farm for Lance?

Carr may stay put too. If they get some smarter people in that building, I think they will see Carr isn't the problem.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

no. No Im not. 

Well you can fear drafting a Mayfield instead of a Burrow but we still need to draft our own quarterback and so far Matt Rhule and staff seem keen to avoid having to deal with a rookie QB at all costs to the point that PJ Walker is once again under contract.

5 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Russell Wilson
3. Kirk Cousins
4. Baker Mayfield
5. Jimmy G
6. Derek Carr
7. Deshaun Watson*

There are no shortcut quarterbacks we can acquire from another team to bypass that. - @frankw

See above.

Just because they can be acquired does not mean it will be us and the cost will not be insignificant. I would rather draft our own guy but I assume this staff will dig us deeper in the hole.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

Darnold was hope, not rationale. Even Joe Brady said he didnt even watch film on the kid because he wanted to start with a blank slate. Which in hindsight was foolish. 

The QBs that are available this offseason though, thats a different story. They are franchise gamers. The cardinals went back to back season of drafting QBs to find their fit. We shouldnt rule that out since the first trade didnt work. I just think we bring in more scouts to help this time, or even ask Ben his opinion. 

The whole staff just treated him like a rookie and talked about him like he was a rookie. It was the most insane thing I have ever seen.

Even worse, so many of our fans bought that line of BS. "Oh he's only * years old! He's basically a rookie!"

Uh.....watch tape. He sucked and still does. This isn't new. Yet all these people didn't do that.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I think Wilson ends up staying put and Rodgers stays put or retires. 

The only possible scenario for Rodgers might be San Fran but then why did you trade the farm for Lance?

Carr may stay put too. If they get some smarter people in that building, I think they will see Carr isn't the problem.

I dont know. I really do see Rodgers ending up in Denver. The packers have to go into rebuilding mode this offseason, and A-Rod doesnt want to be apart of that. I expect Den to throw a couple firsts and mid round picks to land A-Rod this offseason.

Saint are probbaly going to go big on Russ. Sean Payton is threatening to leave them, and if they want to retain him, they will need to get him a a capable QB. Otherwise, that franchise will be heading into a full on rebuild. 

The Carr piece is interesting, because I never understood why they would want to move on from him. However, it will be a new regime with Carr's 3rd GM and HC.... they didnt pick him, so there is always that possibility they will want their own guy. Especially if Harbaugh comes in. Id expect them to move on from DC if that is the case. 

• Pie 1

For those who want Mayfield, why not trade back in the first and go after Howell (if he stays lower first Rd projection)? 

They are very similar.

Drafting Howell = acquiring more picks + cheap contract for years

Mayfield = trade away more picks + expensive contract

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

For those who want Mayfield, why not trade back in the first and go after Howell (if he stays lower first Rd projection)? 

They are very similar.

Drafting Howell = acquiring more picks + cheap contract for years

Mayfield = trade away more picks + expensive contract

One is a higher risk than the other. Baker has proven he can win in the NFL (with a mediocre franchise). Howell is unproven.

Baker's next contract will be extrememly manageable. He isnt going to big money. Id expect him to get a Goff type of contract but less franchise crippling.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 2

36 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Anyone who still believes a QB requires an excellent OLine to succeed needs to go watch the Bengals play.  Burrow was absolutely under siege all day, heck all season.  Dude is a baller.

I was a Burrow doubter, looked like a one season wonder.  I was wrong.  Something obviously just "clicked" for him that last year in college.

All you have to do is watch the Superbowl last year to see you can have a great QB and a horrible offensive line brings him down.  You don't need an excellent offensive line, but you aren't going to win with a shitty one no matter who the QB is.

1 minute ago, parker said:

All you have to do is watch the Superbowl last year to see you can have a great QB and a horrible offensive line brings him down.  You don't need an excellent offensive line, but you aren't going to win with a shitty one no matter who the QB is.

Absolutely but you also aren't going to win when even with time in the pocket your quarterback has happy feet and lobs picks into triple coverage. That's why you don't trade for another teams failure. And now we are trying to talk ourselves into Mayfield 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, parker said:

They made it to the Super Bowl with that line. You get there and mission has been accomplished from a team building perspective.