• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A dose of optimism and why Matt Rhule is great for Tepper

Snake

All NFL teams have their blunders and while some never recover most learn and move on. While Tepper has turned us into a toilet bowl team and optimism is at a all time low the process of pain and learning is happening right now to Tepper. He at first was at the podium non stop year one and two talking about a multitude of things. This year though he's Hitler in the bunker. Hoping to turn around a situation he caused and still look like a genius. He thinks he knows more than fans and the media and will reap what people can see. Just like a guy that won't believe his girlfriend has great ho energy he's not hearing anything but himself. 

The good news is pain brings change and Tepper will be feeling that pain and this situation will more than likely never happen again. Just like drafting a completely horrible QB round one teams learn not to do that. Unfortunately for the current time being we just have to deal but after I see us hiring a guy who actually had good coaching skills and a solid staff. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

It certainly does take guts/brass balls to stay the course after enduring this horrific season.  The odds that it pays off are not in his favor. 

Every decision that was made seemed to end in disaster or disappointment.  If that was the plan then it 1000% was a success.  Could things possibly get worse?  I guess we will have to tune in to find out. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 2

Ok, so optimism.  Got it.

When Rhule fails next season:

1.  Tepper must accept he is not the smartest guy in the room.  Not even close.  Hire a GM you trust to build your team, starting with the coach.  Let your football guy (the GM) tell you who the hire should be.  Challenge him, of course, but let him choose and hold him responsible.  Prior to which, Tepper needs to ask trusted NFL sources their opinion on Fitts.

2.  Tepper must accept that rebuilds don't take seven years . . . or five years . . . or even three years in the NFL today.  Yes, after seven years of success you can say you've changed the culture to one of winning, but you don't need to change the culture first.  In fact, you can't.  Change the success, and culture will follow.

3.  Tepper must accept that there is value in NFL experience.  Seeking outsiders at times can be helpful, but tempering those outsiders with NFL experience is critical.

These are the best things that can come out of keeping Matt Rhule another year.  It's certainly optimistic to think that they will all happen, but these are the things that I can see as positives.  In 2023.

• Pie 4

44 minutes ago, BrianS said:

1.  Tepper must accept he is not the smartest guy in the room.  Not even close.  Hire a GM you trust to build your team, starting with the coach.  Let your football guy (the GM) tell you who the hire should be.  Challenge him, of course, but let him choose and hold him responsible.  Prior to which, Tepper needs to ask trusted NFL sources their opinion on Fitts.

2.  Tepper must accept that rebuilds don't take seven years . . . or five years . . . or even three years in the NFL today.  Yes, after seven years of success you can say you've changed the culture to one of winning, but you don't need to change the culture first.  In fact, you can't.  Change the success, and culture will follow.

3.  Tepper must accept that there is value in NFL experience.  Seeking outsiders at times can be helpful, but tempering those outsiders with NFL experience is critical.

These are the best things that can come out of keeping Matt Rhule another year.  It's certainly optimistic to think that they will all happen, but these are the things that I can see as positives.  In 2023.

None of that matters. Only a franchise QB matters. Get a top 10 QB and the huddle turns from doom and gloom to everything is happy, regardless of the damn owner of the team or the coach.

We had the league's best offense with JERRY RICHARDSON AND MIKE SHULA of all people.

Edited by amcoolio
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Snake said:

All NFL teams have their blunders and while some never recover most learn and move on. While Tepper has turned us into a toilet bowl team and optimism is at a all time low the process of pain and learning is happening right now to Tepper. He at first was at the podium non stop year one and two talking about a multitude of things. This year though he's Hitler in the bunker. Hoping to turn around a situation he caused and still look like a genius. He thinks he knows more than fans and the media and will reap what people can see. Just like a guy that won't believe his girlfriend has great ho energy he's not hearing anything but himself. 

The good news is pain brings change and Tepper will be feeling that pain and this situation will more than likely never happen again. Just like drafting a completely horrible QB round one teams learn not to do that. Unfortunately for the current time being we just have to deal but after I see us hiring a guy who actually had good coaching skills and a solid staff. 

I like to think this is how it is.  I'm still a little skeptical but am willing to open my eyes to take a broader view.  Thanks for being honest and open

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

None of that matters. Only a franchise QB matters. Get a top 10 QB and the huddle turns from doom and gloom to everything is happy, regardless of the damn owner of the team or the coach.

We had the league's best offense with JERRY RICHARDSON AND MIKE SHULA of all people.

I generally agree with this sentiment, but look at the Lions with Matthew Stafford or the Texans with Watson. The QB matters tremendously but you also need a minimum level of competence in the coaching and front office as well. With an elite QB, you can skate by with average in the other areas.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

It certainly does take guts/brass balls to stay the course after enduring this horrific season.  The odds that it pays off are not in his favor. 

Every decision that was made seemed to end in disaster or disappointment.  If that was the plan then it 1000% was a success.  Could things possibly get worse?  I guess we will have to tune in to find out. 

It did seem like everything they did back fired.  That generally doesn't happen, not even if you try.  

Wish I could say anything with any sense of confidence.   

Maybe it is because we're a black cat....

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, BrianS said:

you think FItt is gone too?

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

you think FItt is gone too?

I don't know.  I think Tepper needs to ask some real NFL people what they think of Fitts.  I don't like a situation where Rhule had anything to do with who was hired as GM.  If the consensus among NFL decision makers is that Fitts is a good GM, great, keep him.  But you must make him the real GM.  Give him the power to hire and fire the coach and set the roster.  Then get out of his way and let him run the team.