• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Athletic Mailbag, part 2

Mr. Scot

33 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Wtf on Reddick why add so many voidable years and make more dead cap. I thought this Suleman guy was suppose to be great. Damn we just hurting in so many ways

y'all really need to take a second and figure out how the salary cap works in the 2022 NFL and not base it on how your personal checkbook balancing worked in 1999.

4 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

y'all really need to take a second and figure out how the salary cap works in the 2022 NFL and not base it on how your personal checkbook balancing worked in 1999.

It's my understanding the Saints got in pretty big financial trouble using this voidable years kick-the-can-down-the-road strategy. 

9 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Yeah, we got our money's worth. The cap hit is relatively slight at around 4 mil in 2022. The voidable years are just that if I'm looking at things correctly. I don't think it's going to hurt that much at all.

Edited by top dawg

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

It's my understanding the Saints got in pretty big financial trouble using this voidable years kick-the-can-down-the-road strategy. 

They've been doing this strategy for like 10 years and it still hasn't really bitten them (although that's largely because of having a HoF QB and coach combo along with an elite all time 2017 draft). This offseason seems like the time it's finally biting them but I'll believe it when I see it.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

They've been doing this strategy for like 10 years and it still hasn't really bitten them (although that's largely because of having a HoF QB and coach combo along with an elite all time 2017 draft). This offseason seems like the time it's finally biting them but I'll believe it when I see it.

Their cap situation is probably one of the main reasons for this Sean Payton retirement rumor. They have to take some lean years and get back under the cap eventually. It made sense when they were trying to compete for a Super Bowl with Brees in the twilight of his career but the saints would probably be best served going into rebuild mode at this point. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

You know what I zeroed in on? Making Darnold an 18.9 million dollar backup.

I'd said here that FA would be tough for us because guys are choosing. I don't trust another QB trade with this Fhule headed staff.

I just feel that Cam would be the only and probably most friendly FA QB for the Panthers. Nobody wants this team to win more than THAT guy. You'd never have to question his dedication AND guys look up to him.

Is he the best FA QB? No, but again he's the one who loves you and he looked damn good coming off his couch to truck DBs and LBs. That was beautiful and something I thought I'd never see again. The arm looked live although he wasn't always in sync with his receivers and he looks to be in better physical shape than when he first left.

Make things easy, not difficult. The smartest thing to do is to ask Cam to come back and start at a reasonable price with Sam backing him up(learning how to be a professional from QB1, sorry he needs that) and try like heck to draft Strong to learn and sit behind them both.

With Cam already knowing CMC(who is moving to the slot apparently), DJ, Robby. I think he's already got a head start on any other FA, plug and play basically. Cam told them he has standards, OK now they have a real NFL OC.

We've already told these dummies how to fix this team. It's as if they read this sht and do the exact opposite to their own doom and embarrassment and failure. Let's use psychology...

Don't fix the offensive line. Don't draft Strong and don't let him sit behind and eventually compete against Sam and Cam.

Sheesh