• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2022 QB options

ericr0319

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

With a good coach he could be the steal of the draft. If we get him Rhule will rush him out and probably ruin him…

I’m convinced Rhule could screw up a free meal. I know everyone isn’t sold on our new OC but he is competent and that’s an improvement obviously. If Rhule stayed away from the offense our next QB might have a fighting chance. 

Barring some Miracle Darnold will be on the team. I would expect competition from a FA like T. Taylor, or a low-end trade such as Gardner Minshew. It will be a new system and hopefully open competition. Darnold will look good cuz he knows he won't get hit in camp. I think the odds will be weighted against him cuz he is not popular amongst us fans. The other guy wins the gig and starts the season (hopefully with a decent recently upgraded OL) and we at least play low-level mediocre football next year. We might win 7 games and the 7 year rebuild will continue because the Process is 1000% working (0.02% of the time).

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

basically this.  GM should draft OL talent.  Make Rhule ride or die with Sam.   And Sam can ride or die with Rhule's overpaid Robby Anderson. 

Yup, no more desperation trades for win now FA's. No trading away 2023 draft picks to fix the draft mess they created themselves. Jury is still out on Fitt, but Rhule was all up in his business during the draft confidential episode

1 minute ago, joemac said:

If we're going with a vet QB, give me Cousins.  

Hate away. 

Cousins is pointless in the big picture.  Wasted cap space, cap space we could use elsewhere trying to develop players that would have a longer lifespan here. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cousins is pointless in the big picture.  Wasted cap space, cap space we could use elsewhere trying to develop players that would have a longer lifespan here. 

Its no more pointless than any of the others mentioned in this thread, outside of maybe Watson. 

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Its no more pointless than any of the others mentioned in this thread, outside of maybe Watson. 

Keeping Rhule leads to a pointless season.   So if we keep Rhule, he should just have to roll with Sam.   GM should focus on adding foundational talent in the trenches that can be here for the next HC.   No reason a rebuilding team that already knows the Rhule era is a dud.....should keep burning draft picks up on pointless QBs. 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Keeping Rhule leads to a pointless season.   So if we keep Rhule, he should just have to roll with Sam.   GM should focus on adding foundational talent in the trenches that can be here for the next HC.   No reason a rebuilding team that already knows the Rhule era is a dud.....should keep burning draft picks up on pointless QBs. 

Now this I agree with.  Personally I don't think we should go after ANY high priced retread vet from another team.  No point in investing draft capital and tens of millions of dollars just to go 6-11 with Rhule as HC next year.

I think we need to ride Rhule and Sam to a top 3 pick next year and get our true, rookie, future franchise guy in Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.  Of the 2, I prefer Stroud as he's 6'3" and has shown to be incredibly accurate and dynamic in college. 

• Pie 1

Wilson or Rodgers would be nice but they are going to be really expensive in a trade, not to mention I think both want to go to teams that want to win now.

Watson also would be very expensive, but who knows with all of the off-field issues.  

Unless we go super cheap with a FA like Mariotta I think our best chances would be Jimmy G, Cousins, or even Carr.  If Raiders get in the Rodgers sweepstakes I could see them looking to move Carr.

Honestly the safest move long term is probably just to take our lumps with who we have and preserve our draft capitol and cap space for the future.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Dory said:

Cam, it's going to be Cam

Wouldn't bet on it.

From Darin Gantt...

...there probably won't be a huge demand for Newton as a starter, with the way his year in New England went, and his passing here in 2021 (other than the Washington game).

And he's already said he'd be willing to be a backup somewhere, as long as there's winning involved. Can that be here? That's to be determined.

I'm starting to think that late-stage Cam Newton is a luxury item, a player you add on when everything else is functional, and he brings a new element. They may not be there right now.

Ask the Old Guy: What's next?

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Wilson or Rodgers would be nice but they are going to be really expensive in a trade, not to mention I think both want to go to teams that want to win now.

Watson also would be very expensive, but who knows with all of the off-field issues.  

Unless we go super cheap with a FA like Mariotta I think our best chances would be Jimmy G, Cousins, or even Carr.  If Raiders get in the Rodgers sweepstakes I could see them looking to move Carr.

Honestly the safest move long term is probably just to take our lumps with who we have and preserve our draft capitol and cap space for the future.

You guys are right but Rhule and Fit are going to try to win to save their a--. There is no way we are rolling with Sam. They will make a move...either FA, Low-End Trade, or even via the draft. 

5 minutes ago, Michael G said:

You guys are right but Rhule and Fit are going to try to win to save their a--. There is no way we are rolling with Sam. They will make a move...either FA, Low-End Trade, or even via the draft. 

Agree…desperate measures.  No way we stand still at QB this offseason with Rhule fighting for his job

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't bet on it.

From Darin Gantt...

...there probably won't be a huge demand for Newton as a starter, with the way his year in New England went, and his passing here in 2021 (other than the Washington game).

And he's already said he'd be willing to be a backup somewhere, as long as there's winning involved. Can that be here? That's to be determined.

I'm starting to think that late-stage Cam Newton is a luxury item, a player you add on when everything else is functional, and he brings a new element. They may not be there right now.

Ask the Old Guy: What's next?

"..A lot of things have to align for a quarterback to play well.." - Matt Rhule

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/16/panthers-hc-matt-rhule-doesnt-commit-sam-darnold-2022/

For Cam in 2020, and 2021 almost nothing was aligning.