• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

55 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

Not a Heels fan, but I’ve watched Howell play a good bit. If he doesn’t learn to slide in the NFL, he won’t make it a year. 

That goes for any of these players

Well done @LinvilleGorge you already know I agree with you on Sam Howell.

Again…Sam Howell walked on the scene at UNC and made the offense very dangerous right away.  Some ups and downs but he pretty consistently produced as well.  None of these other dudes can say that.

Edited by Shocker

Howell's QB style won't work well on the NFL level. He limits an offense with what they can do. He needs to spread out a defense and have speed receivers to throw to in lanes.

Pats the ball too much. His height plus his wind up into his release will be too easy for NFL edge rushers. He won't be able to utilize his running style in the NFL without concussion protocols.

He doesn't translate well to the NFL, and the type of limited offense you'd need to build around him doesn't do well in the NFL.

Mack Brown loves a Colt McCoy type QB and track meet WRs.

• Pie 1

Take the UNC homer blinders off. If this draft class didn’t suck when it comes to QB talent, Howell would be getting a 3rd round grade. If he has a great combine and pro day he could push himself up into the second round. Can’t see him as a first rounder unless a team gets desperate.

Russell Wilson was a great college QB and checked all the boxes but dropped all the way to the 3rd round because of his size. Howell isn’t that much bigger.

• Pie 1

55 minutes ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

Not a Heels fan, but I’ve watched Howell play a good bit. If he doesn’t learn to slide in the NFL, he won’t make it a year. 

I think he’s good, not great. I wouldn’t draft him at 6, but I’d wouldn’t hate it if we traded back and picked him. 

This is 100% fair assessment on his sliding - he has got to slide in the NFL. He rarely slid at Carolina. Almost like he enjoyed getting hit. 

1 minute ago, Eazy-E said:

Take the UNC homer blinders off. If this draft class didn’t suck when it comes to QB talent, Howell would be getting a 3rd round grade. If he has a great combine and pro day he could push himself up into the second round. Can’t see him as a first rounder unless a team gets desperate.

Russell Wilson was a great college QB and checked all the boxes but dropped all the way to the 3rd round because of his size. Howell isn’t that much bigger.

Glasses are off. Wilson is a big reason why there's less height stigma around QBs in today's NFL. I don't know that guys like Mayfield and Murray go #1 overall pre-Wilson.

You kinda betrayed your motivations a bit with that particular name drop. 😉

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

And it was a mistake for Wisconsin legend Wilson to drop to the third round. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Howell's QB style won't work well on the NFL level. He limits an offense with what they can do. He needs to spread out a defense and have speed receivers to throw to in lanes.

Pats the ball too much. His height plus his wind up into his release will be too easy for NFL edge rushers. He won't be able to utilize his running style in the NFL without concussion protocols.

He doesn't translate well to the NFL, and the type of limited offense you'd need to build around him doesn't do well in the NFL.

Mack Brown loves a Colt McCoy type QB and track meet WRs.

Might wanna watch the two previous years when he had weapons to work with. You might be surprised.

I've seen a lot of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Howell. I'm a UNC fan but I didn't fall in love with Howell. I think the analysis of his faults at risk/reward analysis are dead on (except I think he makes too many mistakes when passing too). He is a great competitor and i like that a lot.

I would not be upset if we bring him in somehow with a late 1st round pick, but not at the expense of beefing up the OL in a BPA scenario.

Edited by Michael G