• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Howell was talked about being the top pick before the season started. He must have checked a lot of boxes at the time. He dropped in ranking because he “regressed” from his crazy numbers his previous year. Even during a “regressed” year he put up solid numbers. I’ve watched some of his games and their offense was basically a one man show with no OL. Now, since his stats dropped scouts are concerned about his height? Bryce Young (the top pick next year) is the same height on a smaller frame. So these people who are concerned about his height, but want Young next year are making no sense. 

Yeah that’s how it goes around here. Young will either be transcendental next season and Panther fans will get sad realizing they passed on a QB this season for a desperate shot at the #1 overall pick, or he will regress to the mean and we’ll have to hear “it’s just not a good QB class, let’s just wait and get the top guy next year, the draft is just about coming away with a safe player.”

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Might wanna watch the two previous years when he had weapons to work with. You might be surprised.

UNC is my school. I watch and they disappoint. Not sure what you consider weapons, but the Heels haven't done well at recruiting top talent offensive weapons for a while.

Sam Howell is a good college QB. At best he's a journeyman backup in the NFL.

Well, since most of the hot takes are likely out of the way I might as well go ahead and roll out my NFL comp. Keep in mind this comp is based primarily on playing style and competitive fire. I'm not saying Howell will ultimately come anywhere close to this as a pro (he almost certainly won't) and I DID previously say there would need to be a ⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING⚠️ attached...

ActiveThunderousHackee-max-1mb.gif

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, since most of the hot takes are likely out of the way I might as well go ahead and roll out my NFL comp. Keep in mind this comp is based primarily on playing style and competitive fire. I'm not saying Howell will ultimately come anywhere close to this as a pro (he almost certainly won't) and I DID previously say there would need to be a ⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING⚠️ attached...

ActiveThunderousHackee-max-1mb.gif

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

The stupidest thing to ever come out of a human beings mouth since the dawn of time.

1 hour ago, Eazy-E said:

Take the UNC homer blinders off. If this draft class didn’t suck when it comes to QB talent, Howell would be getting a 3rd round grade. If he has a great combine and pro day he could push himself up into the second round. Can’t see him as a first rounder unless a team gets desperate.

Russell Wilson was a great college QB and checked all the boxes but dropped all the way to the 3rd round because of his size. Howell isn’t that much bigger.

From the Athletic, this scares the poo out of me from him along with his size.  He gets really uncomfortable in the pocket under duress.  Can you coach that out of him?  I dont know but its a huge concern as of right now:

Chris Burke: As you said, there are quite a few things to like – he’s got the arm to challenge all over the field, he’s dangerous with his feet, he’s tough. It’s strange, though, because I’ve come out of his film cut-ups wanting him both to speed things up and slow things down, if that makes any sense.

I’ll try to explain further, in case it doesn’t: His initial instinct on a lot of plays is to get out of the pocket and run, so an NFL coaching staff will need to get him to stick with his progressions longer. But, flip side, when he does hang in the pocket, it tends to get belabored. If you compare his footwork to that of, say, Matt Corral, everything happens a lot quicker with Corral.

So, I’m curious to see how he looks next week. Can he keep progressing as a passer? What do you think so far?

Baumgardner: His scrambling makes me nervous and his apparent instinct to bail early up the field – and not to find another space in the pocket to make a throw – also makes me nervous. I think he sees the field better than some give him credit for. Some of the offense he played in at North Carolina plays into that, as he ran a ton of RPOs and was asked to make a bunch of run reads that were tagged with pass concepts. So, he can process – it’s just a little bit different.

But … he is not comfortable in the pocket. That’s what I keep coming away with and I’m super curious to see if that, in 2021, was the result of a guy trying to do everything for a flawed team – or just something he has to overcome as a player.

I like his courage. I like his arm. All the good parts about Baker Mayfield are in there. A lot of the bad is, too. The inconsistency and lack of improv skills in the pocket from a passing sense are two things I have a hard time shaking. But I still think he’s talented. Can you tame a guy like this? That’s kind of what it feels like, right? Can you break some bad habits and get him into a good spot?

Burke: You’re gonna hear that Mayfield comparison a lot, and it’s because Howell legitimately looks like Mayfield in the pocket. The movements, the decision-making – it’s all familiar.

I’m glad you brought up the lack of improv skills, though. I pulled out this play from North Carolina’s game against Notre Dame in 2020 to touch on that point …

The first one in that video got called back by a hold, but ignore that. The bigger point is that it’s hard to find plays like this, in which Howell makes something happen out of structure with his arm. He’s usually off and running by this point, so – as you said – can you dial that back and teach him to be more patient?

The second play is what you want to see: Letting the pocket protect him, scanning through his options, delivering a strike for a big play.

Baumgardner: He’s a tricky one for me and I think the more I watch the more I land on the fact he needs to go somewhere with time. The Lions have time to offer. If they draft a quarterback this year (they don’t have to), that guy doesn’t have to start next season. Maybe even the year after, who knows. So from that standpoint, I like it – because I think, yes, in time you can adjust some of those instincts (because they come from a good place) to make that throw you just clipped far more regular than some of the bail-out runs we see where he wants to put a shoulder throw a 250-pound linebacker.

How much do I like it? That’s the ultimate question. Right now, there’s no way he’s in the conversation at No. 2 and I’m not sure where others slot him. Specifically with Detroit: Do you see a fit there?

Burke: No, not at 2. That said, I do think they could make Howell work with this offense, because he’s done a ton off RPOs and the pocket can roll wherever you’d want it to roll. Big week coming for him.

• Pie 1

The problem with Howell, or Pickett, or Corral isn't the player.  It's our own draft position.  Where we are picking this year is a place where you'd normally expect to get a CLEAR franchise guy.  All of these guys have little question marks.  But where we pick is not their problem.

I think that it's highly likely that whomever we pick at 6 is going to be viewed as a reach by some, and they may not be wrong.  The draft this year isn't always great in those places where we would ideally like it to be.  I think we are going to regret not taking a QB last year.

But this year, we need to fix the offense.  It will be criminal if we don't.  Free agency will tell us a lot about what we're thinking.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 4Corners said:

The people on the huddle who have not accepted the stonecold fact that Howell is a generational, super star NFL QB prospect need to just admit that they don’t want him simply because they hate the UNC basketball team. 

I'm a UNC fan I think Howell will be worse than Sam Darnold. 

1 hour ago, CPantherKing said:

UNC is my school. I watch and they disappoint. Not sure what you consider weapons, but the Heels haven't done well at recruiting top talent offensive weapons for a while.

Sam Howell is a good college QB. At best he's a journeyman backup in the NFL.

I dislike the Tarheels.  But I would think that if they haven't don't that well at recruiting top offensive talent, that would actually make Howell's performance more impressive.  Personally, I would rather have a guy who looked great on a subpar team than a guy who looked good on a great team.  

The only knock I have heard on Howell so far is his height.  Could be a problem, but certainly there have been great NFL qb's that have overcome that particular issue.  

• Beer 1