• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

Putting Howell in a realistic perspective.  If last years QBs were in this draft he would probably always be the 3rd or 4th guy.  It is debatable.  I think Howell is going to be that player that rises later that people overlooked.

Now…if we pick him he needs to sit…a while as we are one of those bad situations unless Fitty pulls some amazing Merlin type OL signings 

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 2

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, since most of the hot takes are likely out of the way I might as well go ahead and roll out my NFL comp. Keep in mind this comp is based primarily on playing style and competitive fire. I'm not saying Howell will ultimately come anywhere close to this as a pro (he almost certainly won't) and I DID previously say there would need to be a ⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING⚠️ attached...

ActiveThunderousHackee-max-1mb.gif

Wow…just saw this but yeah.  Absolutely a good comp.  Sam is way more reserved but toughness, arm and leadership.  Yeah

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Everyone here should know by now that I'm a big Heels and Howell fan. I was planning to do a breakdown of him as an NFL prospect, but this guy basically did it for me.

I can't find a whole lot to disagree with here so I'll just link this:

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/2022-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-carolina-qb-sam-howell/

I'll add...

Biggest strength:

- Physically, it's throwing the deep ball. He throws an accurate very catchable deep ball. Don't get triggered by these names, but in terms of the style of deep ball he throws think Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. He has an ability to throw a ball that somehow both has a lot of air under it yet doesn't get "floaty" giving safeties a chance to make a great break on it.

- Mentally, it's his competitive fire and ability to stay even keel. The guy is willing to do whatever it takes to give his team a chance and he doesn't get rattled or frustrated when the game isn't going well or the OL is getting blown up or receivers are dropping balls.

Biggest weakness:

- Physically, it's his height. He's probably six feet even on a good day. The pounding he took this season has to give you a little pause too. He took a prime Cam Newton type of pounding this year playing behind a porous OL while oftentimes being relied upon as the primary ball carrier on the ground.

- Mentally, it's his risk/reward analysis. It has to evolve at the NFL level. As a pure passer, I actually think he's there. He usually does a great job of managing risk while still taking manageable chances. It has more to do with him as a runner and a scrambler. He's built like Stephen Davis and runs like him too. You don't want your QB taking that type of pounding. 3rd down in the second half of a tight game? Do your thing young man. 1st quarter? Get down and protect yourself. Similar story as a scrambler. He has the mentality that no play is ever dead and he always has a chance to make a play. That leads to some highlight reels but it also leads to some bad sacks. He has to develop a better feel for when to push the envelope and when to toss it into the stands.

NFL comparison:

Everyone wants to say Baker Mayfield and I get it. Physically they're very similar. I think Howell is a bit better of an athlete and I think Mayfield has a bit better natural arm talent (keep in mind, Mayfield has the longest pass thrown in terms of yards in air in NFL history to his credit). The breakdown I linked mentioned Wilson as a comp and I can get that too. Mentally, I think he's a much better comp vs. Mayfield. So if you let me combine them, I say Mayfield physically and Wilson mentally. I have another name in mind specifically, but I don't want this thread to go off the rails from the get go. There's gonna have to be a trigger warning involved. 😂

Wait, you're a Heels and Howell fan?

Lol....just messing. On a serious note I am far from a Heels fan, but I keep college affiliation completely out of NFL prospect evaluation.  Howell could be the best QB prospect in this class, and if we go that route I would 100% back him as the Panthers QB because I'm a Panthers fan. Collegiate affiliate means nothing at the pro level. 

• Beer 2

6 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Wait, you're a Heels and Howell fan?

Lol....just messing. On a serious note I am far from a Heels fan, but I keep college affiliation completely out of NFL prospect evaluation.  Howell could be the best QB prospect in this class, and if we go that route I would 100% back him as the Panthers QB because I'm a Panthers fan. Collegiate affiliate means nothing at the pro level. 

Stop with the Heels fan shet.  If Brice Young was in this draft we would want him for better or worse.  Sam Howell can play.  Stop being a fuggin tard

Edit…triggered post.  lol.  Ok we good

Edited by Shocker

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

This just isn’t close to true.  Wilson was a decent college QB.  Hence he went later in the draft.  If you don’t like Howell fine but he would not have a 3rd round grade and if he did his career will probably turn out much like Wilsons in the right situation.

Howell can play and at this time has so many things he can improve upon.  He makes some throws that he makes look really easy that most QBs can’t do

Again UNC fan here.

Russ was 10 times the college QB Howell was.

Anyone that could make those farmers relative was destined to be good.

• Beer 1

Just now, Catsfan69 said:

Again UNC fan here.

Russ was 10 times the college QB Howell was.

Anyone that could make those farmers relative was destined to be good.

Prove this…no he wasn’t.  Russ was very, very average in college.  Why wasn’t he picked until round 3 again?  Because he was so great right?