• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell

LinvilleGorge

Tried to keep an open mind and I'm honestly coming around a bit.

I've kept wanting to love at least one of these QBs and I just can't.  HOWEVER, Howell was viewed so highly going in for a reason and his stock drop was a bit of a farce.

I'm really trying to like either Corral or Willis, love their upside, but they both have big question marks. I still see a lot to like about both.  

Then Pickett has the hands deal and rather iffy decision-making issues that he got lucky with a lot.  Still, he balled out and has a pretty pass on the run.  He could still be something pending Senior Bowl & combine.  

But overall, Howell really is the most SOUND prospect.  Like a mini-Big Ben fused with a Baker Mayfield but with a good personality and potato head.  Accurate, good on the run, mobile but not gadgety, goes through progressions, and had to succeed behind an awful, maybe the worst OL in ACC history.         

I'm a Hokie alum so have no dog in the fight college-wise.  

My rankings are changing but still give Corral/Willis 1A/1B designation due to sheer upside.  And have cooled on Ridder after a deeper dive. Same with Strong.

1A. Matt Corral

1B. Malik Willis

2. Sam Howell

3. Kenny Pickett

4. Bailey Zappe

5A. Carson Strong

5B. Brock Purdy

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, davos said:

Tried to keep an open mind and I'm honestly coming around a bit.

I've kept wanting to love at least one of these QBs and I just can't.  HOWEVER, Howell was viewed so highly going in for a reason and his stock drop was a bit of a farce.

I'm really trying to like either Corral or Willis, love their upside, but they both have big question marks. I still see a lot to like about both.  

Then Pickett has the hands deal and rather iffy decision-making issues that he got lucky with a lot.  Still, he balled out and has a pretty pass on the run.  He could still be something pending Senior Bowl & combine.  

But overall, Howell really is the most SOUND prospect.  Like a mini-Big Ben fused with a Baker Mayfield but with a good personality and potato head.  Accurate, good on the run, mobile but not gadgety, goes through progressions, and had to succeed behind an awful, maybe the worst OL in ACC history.         

I'm a Hokie alum so have no dog in the fight college-wise.  

My rankings are changing but still give Corral/Willis 1A/1B designation due to sheer upside.  And have cooled on Ridder after a deeper dive. Same with Strong.

1A. Matt Corral

1B. Malik Willis

2. Sam Howell

3. Kenny Pickett

4. Bailey Zappe

5A. Carson Strong

5B. Brock Purdy

I honestly think non-ACC fans struggle to comprehend just how bad UNC's OL play was this year.

1 minute ago, davos said:

You could say he'd be the one prospect who wouldn't be shell-shocked coming into our OL. 

That’s one of the reasons I think he is the best fit for us. He can perform with bad OL play. I don’t think Strong (mobility) or possibly Picket (always seemed to have a good pocket) can. Willis also had a terrible OL, but he really needs to sit a year like Lance and Rhule doesn’t have a year to wait. I think Corral gets hurt trying to make a play behind our line. He is tough, but has a small frame. Corral and Willis really need a coach that knows what he is doing ( something we don’t have). 

10 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Tribisky played one season Howell has three good years.

With solid WRs and RB he'll be an effective QB in the NFL.

He is trolling. It goes back to my original point that most huddlers don’t like Howell because they don’t like the UNC basketball team. 

There isn’t a less qualified fan base in NC to discuss NFL prospects than Safety School U in G-Vegas. 

38 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

He is trolling. It goes back to my original point that most huddlers don’t like Howell because they don’t like the UNC basketball team. 

There isn’t a less qualified fan base in NC to discuss NFL prospects than Safety School U in G-Vegas. 

I was gonna say... the numbers, circumstances, and play on the field couldn't make that comparison look more lazy and uninformed. Two completely different players and evaluations.

Edited by Icege

5 minutes ago, Icege said:

I was gonna say... the numbers, circumstances, and play on the field couldn't make that comparison look more lazy and uninformed. Two completely different players and evaluations.

Just curious but do you think that all of these scouts and analysts that have him as the 4rth or 5th in the rankings are not watching his film and they don’t know his circumstances this season?

Edited by mrcompletely11

25 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Just curious but do you think that all of these scouts and analysts that have him as the 4rth or 5th in the rankings are not watching his film and they don’t know his circumstances this season?

To be honest, I think that there are just certain things that people tend to look for when evaluating anything in life, QBs not being an exception. Some might focus on physical assets, others might focus on intangibles, etc. I like to look at what a team's needs are based on their situation. Then I look first at general stats for prospects before drilling down to advanced stats to see if I can get a "blueprint" for what to expect when I watch them play. I'm also looking at their entire career and game logs because I want to find possible trends and concerns to explore. Did their numbers drop due to losing NFL-bound teammates that weren't replaced? Was their one hit wonder year due to a new OC and strong recruiting class? Was there a nagging injury that caused their Y/A to tank for 3 straight games? Their OL allowed 9 sacks in their worst game, is that why they threw the most picks they had all year then?

That's me though. I like to DEEP DIVE on stuff to see if it can help me predict what happens next (or, more often, understand why something else happened). Somebody else might prefer Kenny Pickett due to his prolific senior year, Desmond Ridder due to having the more prolific career, and/or Bailey Zappe for putting up those video game numbers. From the numbers (I've still got to watch Ridder + Zappe's games), I think that it's abundantly clear that Howell is the better prospect.

Edited by Icege

9 minutes ago, Icege said:

To be honest, I think that there are just certain things that people tend to look for when evaluating anything in life, QBs not being an exception. Some might focus on physical assets, others might focus on intangibles, etc. I like to look at what a team's needs are based on their situation. Then I look first at general stats for prospects before drilling down to advanced stats to see if I can get a "blueprint" for what to expect when I watch them play. I'm also looking at their entire career and game logs because I want to find possible trends and concerns to explore. Did their numbers drop due to losing NFL-bound teammates that weren't replaced? Was their one hit wonder year due to a new OC and strong recruiting class? Was there a nagging injury that caused their Y/A to tank for 3 straight games? Their OL allowed 9 sacks in their worst game, is that why they threw the most picks they had all year then?

That's me though. I like to DEEP DIVE on stuff to see if it can help me predict what happens next (or, more often, understand why something else happened). Somebody else might prefer Kenny Pickett due to his prolific senior year, Desmond Ridder due to having the more prolific career, and/or Bailey Zappe for putting up those video game numbers. From the numbers (I've still got to watch Ridder + Zappe's games), I think that it's abundantly clear that Howell is the better prospect.

Well I am asking you, dont you think the dudes that get paid for this (Brugler, Kiper, Rappaport etc) are doing deep dives on these guys and they are still coming up with him being the 4rth best?   I mean all of those guys are not going to be lazy and simply look at the stats.  They are watching film, talking to teams etc. 

17 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Well I am asking you, dont you think the dudes that get paid for this (Brugler, Kiper, Rappaport etc) are doing deep dives on these guys and they are still coming up with him being the 4rth best?   I mean all of those guys are not going to be lazy and simply look at the stats.  They are watching film, talking to teams etc. 

I think that they're watching a lot more film than I do, for sure. As far as how they leverage stats though, I don't know. I have my method (stats first, games later) because it helps me with identifying what games + situations to watch when I get the time to do so. All I can do is cite the data itself and provide my interpretation of it (as well as what I've seen from watching the actual games when able).

But I also don't think a Huddler that says that Howell is, "a poor man's Trubisky," has a clue as to what they're talking about. 

Edited by Icege

1 minute ago, Icege said:

I think that they're watching a lot more film than I do, for sure. As far as how they leverage stats though, I don't know. I have my method (stats first, games later) because it helps me with identifying what games + situations to watch when I get the time to do so. All I can do is cite the date itself and provide my interpretation of it.

But I also don't think a Huddler that says that Howell is, "a poor man's Trubisky," has a clue as to what they're talking about. 

I am strictly talking about the rankings.