• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This explains a lot (Bills-Chiefs)

Mr. Scot

A good old screw-up in communications explains what has been bothering me since it happened.

That said, the clock doesn't start until somebody touches it after it has been kicked.  The Chiefs were probably told to down it as soon as they touched it, so he would have still had 13 seconds.  Now where that would have been is another question.  It almost always happens inside the 25, so it would have at least added a few more yards to the equation.

But, you never know if whoever gathers it in (assuming it was a Chief) disregards what has been drilled into him and starts running with it, starting the clock.

Seems like calling a squib kick and not making sure the kicker got the message is about like calling an end around and not tell the end.

Honestly tired of hearing about the kickoff. A squib kick isn't the answer either as it leaves the possibility that it is jumped on and downed in better field position than the 25 if the touch back. Clock wouldn't start in that situation either. You kick a high kick to about the 10 yard line and force a fair catch there, or the clock starts on the run back. 

The Bills messed up that situation, but the Chiefs had several blunders that almost cost them the game. If the Chiefs kicker doesn't miss on 4 points, the Chiefs don't need the 13 second drive. If the Chiefs don't run Mahomes out wide and run a stupid backup TE speed option play on 3rd and 1 inside the 20, they most likely convert and go on to score 7 instead of 3, another 4 points left on the field. Bills defense was gased at that point.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Honestly tired of hearing about the kickoff. A squib kick isn't the answer either as it leaves the possibility that it is jumped on and downed in better field position than the 25 if the touch back. Clock wouldn't start in that situation either. You kick a high kick to about the 10 yard line and force a fair catch there, or the clock starts on the run back. 

The Bills messed up that situation, but the Chiefs had several blunders that almost cost them the game. If the Chiefs kicker doesn't miss on 4 points, the Chiefs don't need the 13 second drive. If the Chiefs don't run Mahomes out wide and run a stupid backup TE speed option play on 3rd and 1 inside the 20, they most likely convert and go on to score 7 instead of 3, another 4 points left on the field. Bills defense was gased at that point.

I've always been a believer that one play does not cost a team a game.  You can always look at the game and find a string of "missed opportunities," mistakes, and points left on the field by both teams.  Then there are coaching mistakes or being a little to clever and outsmarting themselves.

The biggest factor in the tying semi-drive was that KC had all their time outs.  That is extremely rare in those types of situations.  The odd thing was the Bills acted like they were defending the sidelines on the last two plays leading to the FG when the sidelines didn't matter.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I've always been a believer that one play does not cost a team a game.  You can always look at the game and find a string of "missed opportunities," mistakes, and points left on the field by both teams.  Then there are coaching mistakes or being a little to clever and outsmarting themselves.

The biggest factor in the tying semi-drive was that KC had all their time outs.  That is extremely rare in those types of situations.  The odd thing was the Bills acted like they were defending the sidelines on the last two plays leading to the FG when the sidelines didn't matter.

Exactly!  And yes the Bills were defending sidelines, left the middle wide open 2nd level, you just don't do that when they have 3 timeouts

8 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I agree with that, though there's also the theory that games are won not always by the better team, but more frequently by the team that makes me fewest mistakes.

There are arguments to be made for the validity of that idea.

If you're a professional kicker and don't get the call, why would you not run to the sideline?

I can't imagine delay of game on a kickoff is more than just backing up 5 yards; however to be fair I don't know the exact rule for that. 

There's too many people on the staff not to be able to address that in some form or another.