• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer on the Panthers quarterback options

Mr. Scot

This all comes back down to having Rhule in a lame duck situation. If Tepper would have fired him and started all over, at least free agents would know that there is stability for the next couple of years. No signifiant free agent would want to come here under this HC situation, it's even bad for any rookie QB. Gets drafted only to have the HC get fired, it would ruin his development in his early pro career. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

This all comes back down to having Rhule in a lame duck situation. If Tepper would have fired him and started all over, at least free agents would know that there is stability for the next couple of years. No signifiant free agent would want to come here under this HC situation, it's even bad for any rookie QB. Gets drafted only to have the HC get fired, it would ruin his development in his early pro career. 

It's one reason I could see us drafting someone like Pickett or Corral.

No veteran QB is gonna want to be part of this sh-t show.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's one reason I could see us drafting someone like Pickett or Corral.

No veteran QB is gonna want to be part of this sh-t show.

And I worry that it would ruin the young QB's development and set us back for many more years giving them time to develop only to flame out. They need a good HC and consistency to succeed. 

Even Lawrence who is supposed to be a generational talent had a horrible rookie year and is setback with poor coaching. He is no where near what Joe Burrow is given the situation. 

Edited by CarolinaRideorDie
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't draft Willis higher than the third or fourth round, and then only as a developmental prospect.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

If he really wows it out during the next three months, I could see a two or three. 

Hes getting some 1st round fluff here and there, if he shows out in interviews, combine/proday, and especially in the senior bowl where 5 out the top 6 will be on display......He could ride all that "upside, big arm" stuff into a 1st round lock. Senior bowl is key, everyone is on the same field, same ball, and same players.......If hes shows hes a couple levels above and able to run pro plays, well he will be a 1st round lock. 

Edited by Basbear

1 hour ago, Dory said:

Obviously you missed the thread that disproves that.

That thread really doesn't disprove anything if you're honest with yourself.

Cam threw for more than 2800 yards and only 8 TDs with 10 INTs. His completion percentage was 65.8 with a passer rating of 82.9.

Garropolo threw for more than 3800 yards with 20 TDs and 12 INTs. His completion percentage was 68.3 with a passer rating of 99.6 (regular season).

Now I'm sure if we get into some more advanced metrics, it will make for even more of a stark difference. 

Of course Cam can run, which is a plus, but a QB's main job is to pass, and unfortunately Cam's passing hasn't been great ever since his shoulder injury. 

I like Cam and respect everything he did for the franchise, but if he can't play any better than he did in 2020, much less 2021, then he can no longer be a legit QB1. 

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I really don’t even want a big splash vet because I think Rhule will get screwed over on the trade like he has every trade he has made. Plus a big splash vet could save Rhule’s job and no one wants that. Darnold, FA cheap QB like Mitch or Mariotta or draft are the only options I want. 

Yeah if a good Vet and random Mcadoo suddenly turn this team in a wildcard team, what's even the point of Matt Rhule? Can get any random cheerleader guy to do the press conferences. At least find someone likable at face value that the players don't mind having to listen to in meetings

5 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

And I worry that it would ruin the young QB's development and set us back for many more years giving them time to develop only to flame out. They need a good HC and consistency to succeed. 

Even Lawrence who is supposed to be a generational talent had a horrible rookie year and is setback with poor coaching. He is no where near what Joe Burrow is given the situation. 

Agreed but they wouldn't have the choice. And nobody from this draft class has enough clout to pull a power move like Elway or Eli did.

5 hours ago, Basbear said:

Hes getting some 1st round fluff here and there, if he shows out in interviews, combine/proday, and especially in the senior bowl where 5 out the top 6 will be on display......He could ride all that "upside, big arm" stuff into a 1st round lock. Senior bowl is key, everyone is on the same field, same ball, and same players.......If hes shows hes a couple levels above and able to run pro plays, well he will be a 1st round lock. 

He may be picked in the first, but if so I hope it isn't by us.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, Cdparr7 said:

Invest in the OL and give the keys to Darnold. Rhule doesn’t need to hand pick anymore QBs. Give Darnold protection and let Rhule’s job depend on it

I agree with this, but the reality is we've seen no indication this far that Rhule's power is going to diminish this season.

Until we hear otherwise, final say on roster decisions still belongs to him.