• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'20 Cam vs. '21 Garoppolo (and '19) (+ a Darnold tidbit)

Dory

29 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I’d like to see him with a full offseason and a line that isn’t complete trash

When your QB is under duress from the moment he snaps the ball it doesn't matter who's under center they are going to be trash.

Cam was learning on the fly and the fact that Brady had no business calling plays didn't help much. 

I hope we draft a QB and let Darnold and Cam battle it out until the rookie is ready to make his debut.   I see no reason to go out and sign another Vet when our goal should be a rookie QB.

Head to Head with a full offseason, Cam will beat out Darnold.

Does Cam want to play here again next year?

If so, what's a fair deal compensation wise for both him and the team?

I tend to agree that given a legitimate/normal training camp Cam would earn the starting job over Silver Platter Sam...

...then again it was clear TB5 would have done the same but S.P.S.'s fragile psyche wouldn't allow for some healthy competition 🤦‍♂️🤣

Well those stats are completely disingenuous:

Cam 2020 PASSING stats:

2,657 yards, 8 TDs 10 INTs across 15 games 177 yards/Game

Jimmy G 2021 PASSING stats:

3810 yards, 20 TDs 12 INTs across 15 games 254 yards/game

Cam is nothing more than a redzone threat these days. It is unfortunate, but it is the truth. 

Cam's first job as a QB is to throw the Football. He is not as good at that as he once was. Truth be told he hasn't been great at it since 2015.

We are at that point in a relationship where we have broken up, gotten back together, know there is no future between us, but still love each other so much that we don't want to let go... Even though we both know it's not going to work. 

It's time to move on. 

• Pie 6

Cam has demonstrated he is an improved passer. I don't know why anyone would think he was a better passer early in his career. Thinking people have watched too many highlight videos from the past.

Yes, Cam is a capable playoff starting QB.

He has a few more years imo. He just needs to find a coach who wants to work with him.

His issue under Rhule was coming in mid season and having to play with a limited playbook. Clearly not on the same page as his receivers. Obviously better than Darnold. Should have finished out the season, but Rhule was trying hard to prove Darnold was better with just a small success. That success never came for Darnold. Cam was the better QB coming off the couch.

Edited by CPantherKing

For how much? Trading for Jimmy G is an automatic fail. He is not good enough to shoulder this team's issues and we don't need another expensive not good enough QB. 

Cam was frank in his presser. I also saw what went on in games and what was said after games. I believe he used the words closure. I don't wish it on him so good for him.

They traded for Sam and picked up his 5th. I hope they have to eat it and end up pollisbing that turd into no Rhule and the #1.

I don't understand the Picket love but a wasted draft pick on a rookie deal is still cheaper than paying Jimmy G. 

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Cam 2020 PASSING stats:

Cam is nothing more than a redzone threat these days. It is unfortunate, but it is the truth. 

Cam's first job as a QB is to throw the Football. He is not as good at that as he once was. Truth be told he hasn't been great at it since 2015.

We are at that point in a relationship where we have broken up, gotten back together, know there is no future between us, but still love each other so much that we don't want to let go... Even though we both know it's not going to work. 

It's time to move on. 

Damiere Byrd was his #1 WR don't forget to include that and I'll let you go ahead and look up the unknowns he had at TE. Damiere Byrd, N' Keal Harry, and the unknown TE group. Sounds like a recipe for success in the passing game yea?

Lets not forget NE had the most covid opt outs of any team that year. Cam had 5 weeks to learn the system and his teammates in New England of all places, and also got Covid week 4. Still put up better numbers and got more wins than any other quarter back we've tried to replace him with

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Cam 2020 PASSING stats:

It's time to move on. 

"..A lot of things have to align for a quarterback to play well.." - Rhule

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/16/panthers-hc-matt-rhule-doesnt-commit-sam-darnold-2022/

Cam's passing last year wasn't good because he had trash to throw to. This season he had decent weapons but no time to throw. Cam is more than a RZ threat, wow.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Damiere Byrd was his #1 WR don't forget to include that and I'll let you go ahead and look up the unknowns he had at TE. Damiere Byrd, N' Keal Harry, and the unknown TE group. Sounds like a recipe for success in the passing game yea?

Like it or not, Cam hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury. Ever since then, there's been an excuse/excuses for him:

2016 - Shoulder injury

2017 - Recovering from shoulder surgery

2018 - TJ Watt Reaggravating shoulder injury

2019 - That Bitch Liz Frank (cousin of Tommy Jone)

2020 - His teammates sucked

2021 - Came in too late

Legitimate excuses? Maybe. Still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had a full season of great QB since 2015. 

That's 6 years of below average QB play since his MVP season... Injuries derailed his career. It sucks, I love Cam but it's been too long since he was good, and let's be real, it's not like Rhule and Co will actually bring out the best of him. Let him go elsewhere and prove he's still good, if nothing else than for his own sake. 

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Like it or not, Cam hasn't been the same since his shoulder injury. Ever since then, there's been an excuse/excuses for him:

2016 - Shoulder injury

2017 - Recovering from shoulder surgery

2018 - TJ Watt Reaggravating shoulder injury

2019 - That Bitch Liz Frank (cousin of Tommy Jone)

2020 - His teammates sucked

2021 - Came in too late

Legitimate excuses? Maybe. Still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had a full season of great QB since 2015. 

That's 6 years of below average QB play since his MVP season... Injuries derailed his career. It sucks, I love Cam but it's been too long since he was good, and let's be real, it's not like Rhule and Co will actually bring out the best of him. Let him go elsewhere and prove he's still good, if nothing else than for his own sake. 

'17 he started every game, led the team in rushing, led team to 11 wins in a division w/ three playoff teams, 22 pass TD (Jimmy G only had 23 this year) ... '17 Cam was great, the '17 Panthers would've won 5 games without him.

'18 .. the two weeks after the Pittsburgh debacle, Cam posted ratings of 114 and 110 .. and Cam had 24 TD passing that season .. like in '13

Your narrative is trash and wrong.

Edited by Dory
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Dory said:

'20 Cam - 21 TD, 10 INT, 15 Games

'21 Garoppolo - 23 TD, 12 INT, 15 Games

SF has been winning for reasons x, y, z - none of which have much to do with QB play

Look at Jimmy's other notable season, '19 ... 28 TD, 13 INT (in 16 Games) .. Cam's 'dismal' '20 season is only 7 TD off with one less game ..

I know it is hard for the anti-Cam crowd to acknowledge facts when they don't paint the picture that Cam is done.

Cam had 9 TD in 8 games this season. Jimmy or Carr for that matter likely have between 1-3 TD under the same circumstances.

People ask questions like what vet QB can we sign? Bringing up Carr or Jimmy G while acting like Cam doesn't exist is just idiotic.

By the way, Darnold wishes he could have a season like Cam's 'dismal' '20 because that would mean Darnold had a career year. Sam's best year is 20 TD (actually it's 21 - tied with Cam's '20)

Cam threw 9td passes?