• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If a Qb is taken early, should he sit or compete first day?

You don't draft anyone in the first round you don't plan to start day one.

You draft  a QB in round 1, especially early, you start him. Otherwise you shouldn't have drafted him. Chances are if you draft a QB in round 1...you needed a QB.

Don't be dumb and overthink it (like this chimpbraintrust here does). 

You filled a hole by drafting the guy and if he's going to be who you want him to be, you got to start him. If they aren't ready to go day one,byou got the wrong guy or you don't know what the hell you're doing.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, jackson113 said:

Wonder if Rhule will be reluctant to start a rookie QB , or try to prove Darnold is still good? Tepper will probably try and pressure to draft a Qb. 

Darnold was never good

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, rayzor said:

You draft  a QB in round 1, especially early, you start him. Otherwise you shouldn't have drafted him. Chances are if you draft a QB in round 1...you needed a QB.

You filled a hole by drafting the guy and if he's going to be who you want him to be, you got to start him. If they aren't ready to go day one,byou got the wrong guy or you don't know what the hell you're doing.

I agree with what you are saying, but there is an argument against it. Mahomes, Rodgers, Lance (verdict is out), not sure about Jackson didn’t start right away. The obvious difference is there weren’t picked at 6, had somewhat established starters and didn’t have a coach on the hot seat. If we some how trade down and draft and draft someone like Willis, I would hope he would start right away but Rhule is our coach and makes terrible decisions…

On 1/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Mr. Scot said:

I would sit him, but a coach who's trying to save his own ass likely wouldn't.

Ironically the only reason the coach is trying to save his own ass is because he didn't draft a QB and sit him. It's why I doubt we draft a QB and not pay or trade for one. Because we sure have been acting like a win now team not a rebuilding one. 

• Pie 1

On 1/29/2022 at 2:42 AM, rayzor said:

All depends on your current starting quarterback. Some teams decide to draft their existing QB’s successor while their existing QB is still playing. The Chiefs had Alex Smith to act as a bridge until Mahomes was ready to takeover. Likewise the Packers had Brett Favre until Roders was ready. The 49ers have Garroppolo to start, when healthy, to start until Lance is ready.

So it is not a wasted pick and can be a wise investment. However, I’m not certain this approach would work for us. If Darnold or Newton go into next season as our starting quarterback, and their play matched last season, it would be very difficult to ignore the calls to start the rookie and with Rhule on the hot seat he’d likely throw the kid in to try to save his job.  

20 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree with what you are saying, but there is an argument against it. Mahomes, Rodgers, Lance (verdict is out), not sure about Jackson didn’t start right away. The obvious difference is there weren’t picked at 6, had somewhat established starters and didn’t have a coach on the hot seat. If we some how trade down and draft and draft someone like Willis, I would hope he would start right away but Rhule is our coach and makes terrible decisions…

For me, if we draft someone in the first round I’d like to see them compete for the starting job. If they win it like Mac Jones in New England, great. If they don’t win it, let them sit the entire season and develop. Let the next guy up earn the position rather than gift it to him. The exception to this is when you get a generational/special QB talent.

• Pie 2