• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For all the Brady Christensen fans....

kungfoodude

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m assuming it was the fact we didn’t give him a chance almost all season while shuffling him around the line and starting terrible vets over him. Brady could be a nice pick considering where we drafted him. 

Has nothing to do with it. 

To me it signifies lazy. If you don't know how to maintain pad level. Stay in a loaded position. Get in a stance by the time you get to the NFL then you are a slug.

It's inexcusable the lack of fundamentals you see across the NFL these days.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

@Catsfan69 have you literally ever made a constructive post that has actually added to a conversation? Your entire posting persona is that of a stereotypical grumpy old boomer.

He asked if moving him around kept him from developing technique.

I answered. The basic fundamentals of all offensive and defensive line play are the same from HS to College. Pad level, hand placement, being violent, good loaded hips. These are all very basic things.

You should not need to be taught these things at the NFL level. 

At this level you should only need to fine tune little things that last 3 to 5 percent of technique that makes you excellent. 

So no to answer the posters question moving him around isn't his main issue. 

• Beer 1

Expounding on that Coordinators are probably erroneously thinking they can cut individual periods because the players should have this down already.

They probably should give them 4 periods at least. My God I can't see how you need more than 16 team periods. But who knows how much install is taking.

53 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Has nothing to do with it. 

To me it signifies lazy. If you don't know how to maintain pad level. Stay in a loaded position. Get in a stance by the time you get to the NFL then you are a slug.

It's inexcusable the lack of fundamentals you see across the NFL these days.

If you think shuffling a 3rd round rookie around the line doesn’t hurt development I honestly don’t know what else to say.

The poster I was responding too was questioning if the OP thought BC was not a good pick because we didn’t evaluate him well. I was explaining he was probably more upset with how Rhule handled BC not how they evaluated him. However you want to look at it, it still falls on Rhule who drafted him. Did he draft a player with bad technique or did he do a terrible job at coaching/developing that player. Looking at the regressions from Brown and Chinn, I would lean towards the coaching/development. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If you think shuffling a 3rd round rookie around the line doesn’t hurt development I honestly don’t know what else to say.

The poster I was responding too was questioning if the OP thought BC was not a good pick because we didn’t evaluate him well. I was explaining he was probably more upset with how Rhule handled BC not how they evaluated him. However you want to look at it, it still falls on Rhule who drafted him. Did he draft a player with bad technique or did he do a terrible job at coaching/developing that player. Looking at the regressions from Brown and Chinn, I would lean towards the coaching/development. 

You don't get it.

These aren't positional issues. 

I'm not sure what your playing experience is with regards to front 7 but things like loading hips are the same for all players.

Pad level isn't position specific. 

Playing within your base (in balance) isn't positional.

Look at that film they used. Brady is either straight up (pad level issue) or way out over his feet (not in balance.

These are things that should have been cleared up in HS much less college. 

He can't be physical not because he is weak. He can't be physical because he can't (or won't) get himself in a body position to be physical. 

If I had access to tape and a telestrator I would be glad to draw lines on his body.

He needs to fix these big things before he needs to worry about small positional techniques. 

Did I explain that sufficiently? If not I can try to reword it for you. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You don't get it.

These aren't positional issues. 

I'm not sure what your playing experience is with regards to front 7 but things like loading hips are the same for all players.

Pad level isn't position specific. 

Playing within your base (in balance) isn't positional.

Look at that film they used. Brady is either straight up (pad level issue) or way out over his feet (not in balance.

These are things that should have been cleared up in HS much less college. 

He can't be physical not because he is weak. He can't be physical because he can't (or won't) get himself in a body position to be physical. 

If I had access to tape and a telestrator I would be glad to draw lines on his body.

He needs to fix these big things before he needs to worry about small positional techniques. 

Did I explain that sufficiently? If not I can try to reword it for you. 

His technique was considered a strength by draft analysts before Rhule drafted him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brady-christensen-nfl-draft-player-profile-byu-offensive-tackle/

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/.amp/gm-report/seahawks-2021-nfl-draft-profile-brady-christensen

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2931245-brady-christensen-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-carolina-panthers-ot.amp.html

The phrases you will keep seeing under strength are “fundamentally sound” “High Football IQ” in which they brag on his techniques. His weaknesses were athleticism and competition at BYU. These guys do this for a living, but you played ball back in 1952 for some small town High School so you know better right? 

So yeah moving him all over the place and being a terrible developer of talent probably overwhelmed the guy where he forfeits his basic skills and tries to overcompensate. It’s like when a QB gets pressure and throws off his back foot. Does he know better? Sure, but the moment can become overwhelming and they get desperate trying to make a play (or stop a sack). 

No matter how you look at it, it still falls back on Rhule. He scouted, evaluated, drafted, coached and developed BC. 

• Pie 1

Getting your feet set is a positional issue. Tackles have more room to open up than guards or center. The movement for blocking for guard is different than tackle. If you don't think footwork matters, intentionally shorten your natural stride by 2 inches and watch how much you struggle to keep that adjustment and how much it affects everything you do. 

Also, he's now going up against what were before elite level players. He could very well be overcompensating for their level of skill and power. That's why coaching is important. To teach them how to adjust to the new level of competition. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Getting your feet set is a positional issue. Tackles have more room to open up than guards or center. The movement for blocking for guard is different than tackle. If you don't think footwork matters, intentionally shorten your natural stride by 2 inches and watch how much you struggle to keep that adjustment and how much it affects everything you do. 

Also, he's now going up against what were before elite level players. He could very well be overcompensating for their level of skill and power. That's why coaching is important. To teach them how to adjust to the new level of competition. 

Well said.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

His technique was considered a strength by draft analysts before Rhule drafted him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/brady-christensen-nfl-draft-player-profile-byu-offensive-tackle/

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/.amp/gm-report/seahawks-2021-nfl-draft-profile-brady-christensen

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2931245-brady-christensen-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-carolina-panthers-ot.amp.html

The phrases you will keep seeing under strength are “fundamentally sound” “High Football IQ” in which they brag on his techniques. His weaknesses were athleticism and competition at BYU. These guys do this for a living, but you played ball back in 1952 for some small town High School so you know better right? 

So yeah moving him all over the place and being a terrible developer of talent probably overwhelmed the guy where he forfeits his basic skills and tries to overcompensate. It’s like when a QB gets pressure and throws off his back foot. Does he know better? Sure, but the moment can become overwhelming and they get desperate trying to make a play (or stop a sack). 

No matter how you look at it, it still falls back on Rhule. He scouted, evaluated, drafted, coached and developed BC. 

Did you watch the video? The same things I'm saying Wahle is saying.

It falls on Rhule but it also falls on Brady himself.

These should not be advanced concepts for him. He should have fixed this on his own a long time ago if he wanted to be great. No matter who the coach is. No matter what's going on. The onus will always be on the individual player to strive to be the best in the world at what he does.

You can't get taller. You can get marginally stronger without pharmaceutical help. The one thing you have absolute control over is your own fundamentals.

Hours and hours of taking one step and freezing in position. Then taking two steps and freezing in position. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

You are getting too in the weeds. He has basic fundamental issues that shouldn't exist at this point.

Yes my first step might be different at tackle vs guard. My pad level isn't.  My hip load isn't my punch isn't. 

Like the guys on the podcast I don't like his stance. These are basics. 

31 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

You are getting too in the weeds. He has basic fundamental issues that shouldn't exist at this point.

Yes my first step might be different at tackle vs guard. My pad level isn't.  My hip load isn't my punch isn't. 

Like the guys on the podcast I don't like his stance. These are basics. 

If every coach at every level could teach perfect fundamentals every player would have them. They don't. There's only a few elite level tackles every year because they don't all have these basic fundamentals. 

First step is different, but so is the second and the third. Tackles face more speed rushers where guards face more power rushers. Tackles slide laterally more often, guards get pushed backwards. Defenders use different hand movements. 

Again, we're talking 2 different positions. Guard is not his natural position. He probably has to think about it because it's not what he does on a regular basis. His blocking assignments are also different. Put him in 4 different positions and yeah, you can't expect him to look good because everything he is doing is constantly different. 

I'm not saying he's going to be great or even good. I'm just saying to expect a 1st round level performance from him with Rhay-Z as his HC is a little much. Fundamentals can be fixed. He can be taught. That's why we have offensive line coaches. Just try teaching him 1 spot first instead of 4. And by someone who actually knows that a tackle doesn't have to fit certain measurements to be all pro level. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1