• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

James Campen named OL coach

hepcat

Even as someone who wants Rhule gone, I think he has done pretty well on his hires all things considered.

I wasn't happy with the McAdoo hire at first b/c of all the dysfunction from his HC tenure in NYG, but he does have a solid record as an OC.  And he was probably the best we could do given our current (non-ideal by any stretch) QB and OL situation.

The ST hire was good.  I would certainly be happy with a top 10 ST group after the sorry ones we have had.  

And literally any OL coach would seem to be better after the abomination of this year.  I am glad to hear he's had multiple Pro Bowlers he's coached.  Other than finding a franchise QB, finding an OL coach who can actually develop guys is arguably our biggest need.

My overall excitement right now is still pretty low, but since it seems Rhule is getting at least one more year, I hope these moves pay off.

At least we are starting to get some substantial NFL coaching experience 

• Pie 8

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Rhule is finally realizing that ex-Baylor and ex-Temple positional coaches/coordinators might not cut in the NFL.  Snow looking like the one exception.  I guess survival trumps loyalty at this point in the game for ol' Matty boy.

Or he's being told...

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Great hire. This snippet from the write-up is what I’m most looking forward to:

The 57-year-old Campen was most recently with the Texans in the same job.

He spent 15 years with the Packers coaching offensive linemen (from 2004-2018), giving him background with new Panthers offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo.

During that time, the Packers had seven Pro Bowl linemen, and had a habit of turning mid- to late-round picks into consistent performers.

It always frustrated me how badly our OL played in comparison to other teams. Looking at the top teams, you could count the number of Pro-Bowl-caliber OL on one hand. See the Washington game last year. Cincy’s OL isn’t great either. But they’re getting the job done, which tells us coaching was a big problem here. Here’s hoping our new OL can bring the best out of whoever we line up next season.

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, he and McAdoo have a connection from their days in Green Bay.

Yeah if the Oline coach hire had nothing to do with Mcadoo I'd be worried.. But the fact they grab 1 of his guys gives me hope he is running the offensive side of the ball and Rhule is taking a hands off position.. 

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

I'm trying so, so hard to not let myself hope.

If this is followed up by signing Armstead to play LT and trading back to pick up Linderbaum to play center while also picking up a pick to gamble on a QB with... 😮

Rhule is definitely putting together a competent Staff with alot of NFL experience.. Objectively I can admit that no matter how bad I want him fired...

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1