• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latest mailbag from Williams and Alexander

Mr. Scot

Some good answers from the Observer's beat writing tandem, including some info about stuff that's on everybody's minds.

Excerpts...

What do you think they do at QB this year? 

Alexander: Greg, what I know is the Panthers will explore trading for a quarterback. There are a number of teams that potentially could part ways with their quarterbacks this offseason. 

The Packers, Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings and Texans are among them. But of those five teams, only Aaron Rodgers and Russel Wilson are worth it, in my opinion. 

However, Wilson and Rodgers have to agree to a trade to the Panthers. And with the Panthers’ offensive line situation, and Matt Rhule’s job security in Year 3, that would be a tough sell. 

The most likely scenario is the Panthers sign a veteran quarterback in free agency and have him compete with Sam Darnold for the starting job.

Trading for a quarterback will cost the Panthers at least one first-round draft pick and will stymie their ability to fix the offensive line this season. 

There are a number of people within the organization that know this, and would much rather build it in a methodical way and not give up their long-term investments for a player with a lot of uncertainty. (Deshaun Watson, for example.)

Keep, let walk and trade. Stephon Gilmore, Haason Reddick and Donte Jackson. 

Williams: Interesting question. It’s framed in a way that suggests the Panthers could trade Gilmore, Reddick or Jackson. However, all three a free agents and cannot be dealt. But let’s assume the Panthers sign two and let one walk. 

From a production standpoint, Reddick probably possesses the most upside. The former Cardinal and one-time Panther has notched back-to-back double-digit sack seasons, solidifying himself as a effective NFL pass rusher. Reddick detractors will label him a scheme-dependent linebacker, incapable of consistently stopping the run.

Reddick is aware of those concerns, which is why he plans on bulking up during the offseason to add weight. He insists playing 10 to 15 pounds heavier will not hinder his quickness. 

Regardless of what Reddick weighs, he’ll ask for double-digit millions once free agency begins in March. The Panthers will attempt to retain him but the asking price may run too steep. Thus, let him walk. 

Then sign Donte Jackson in hopes of trading him by the deadline. Pro Football Focus recently released their 2022 free agent cornerback rankings. PFF ranked Jackson the No. 8 corner on the market. Gilmore came in at No. 2. Re-sign him too. Hear me out. 

Jackson (26) is five years younger than Gilmore (31). Retaining Jackson and starting alongside rookie Jaycee Horn would position Carolina well on the outside. Allow Gilmore and C.J. Henderson to roll in behind the starters while Jackson hopefully plays well. If he does, then he becomes more valuable than an aging Gilmore or inconsistent Henderson. 

By the deadline, Gilmore should be healthy and ready for a full-time role. Plus, Gilmore is from Rock Hill. Maybe he’s enjoying being home and will take that into consideration when negotiating with Carolina.

Is new special teams coach Chris Tabor going to have a say on signing a kick returner?

Alexander: Yes. The coordinators and assistant coaches currently provide input on the signings and they’ll continue to do so. For instance, former offensive coordinator Joe Brady recommended they sign Teddy Bridgewater and wide receiver Willie Snead IV. 

Who would you extend first. Brian Burns or DJ Moore? 

Williams: Brian Burns and DJ Moore are eligible for contract extensions. Moore is set to play the 2022 season on the final year of his rookie contracts. Selected No. 24 in the 2018 draft, Moore has had three consecutive 1,000-yard receiving seasons and is proven playmaker. 

The Panthers will likely exercise the fifth-year option for Burns come May, which means he’s under contract for the 2022 and 2023 seasons. Because of that, there is less urgency to construct an extension for Burns. Carolina should make Moore a priority this offseason. He’ll play a critical part in establishing a future franchise quarterback in Carolina. 

Meanwhile, Burns is an enticing trade asset if the Panthers were to shop him. There is no reason to believe they are but general manager Scott Fitterer said he will field calls on any player. 

While Burns true ceiling remains unknown, he is clearly one of the league’s better pass rushers. Combined with some draft picks, Burns could move the needle in a package deal for a veteran quarterback.

Link: Panthers mailbag: Only 2 QBs make sense to trade for but Carolina won’t appeal to them

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

Most interesting statement for me...

Trading for a quarterback will cost the Panthers at least one first-round draft pick and will stymie their ability to fix the offensive line this season. 

There are a number of people within the organization that know this, and would much rather build it in a methodical way and not give up their long-term investments for a player with a lot of uncertainty. (Deshaun Watson, for example.)

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Translation:

NFL people with NFL experience are begging the tard-in-charge not to proper fug the team’s upcoming draft.

Have you ever tried to play a video game with a young child?  It’s cute and funny at first, then quickly it devolves into completely unplayable, unenjoyable chaos.

Matt Rhule, your head coach.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The distancing from Rhule has already began. I'm sure that will make for a completely normal year lol. 

• Pie 1

It’s either trade for Watson a known top 5 qb (RW and Rodgers are 0% coming here)or keep throwing high draft picks on a qb until we land a great one. There is no trading for mediocre to a little above game manager qbs to solve this problem. We need a franchise changing player.

andy Reid: “Most of these teams that are getting this far have good quarterbacks, that's just how it works.”

stop trying to deal for qbs who don’t move the needle. 

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

If we trade for Jimmy or Kirk cousins just lol

I hate looking in retrospect buuuut they really could've just stuck with Cam for 1 year, 20 mil, and had all the money in the world to do whatever.  Heck, even just not get into it with Teddy and keep him, would've saved a lot of trouble, picks, & money.  

One painful decision after the next.  It really comes down to Darnold.

Could be looking at having 9 picks this year.  1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7 and $18.9 million more to spend.  That Darnold move really does look worse by the day.  Then, I'm sure we could've been totally comfrtable taking a stab at a QB this year with that 2nd rounder or in a trade up while getting a top player in the draft elsewhere.  

That would be $45 million of cap pre-moves/restructures right now. Instead we sit at $24 mil. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, davos said:

I hate looking in retrospect buuuut they really could've just stuck with Cam for 1 year, 20 mil, and had all the money in the world to do whatever.  Heck, even just not get into it with Teddy and keep him, would've saved a lot of trouble, picks, & money.  

Could be looking at having 9 picks this year.  1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7 and $18.9 million more to spend.  That Darnold move really does look worse by the day.  Then, I'm sure we could've been totally comfrtable taking a stab at a QB this year with that 2nd rounder or in a trade up while getting a top player in the draft elsewhere.  

That would be $45 million of cap pre-moves/restructures right now. Instead we sit at $24 mil. 

That was obvious all the way back in January 2020. Its fair to say that Cam had some injury concerns, but not like that 2020 team was going to be competitive anyway.

Instead, they went out and started this madness by signing Teddy to a silly contract. The rest is history.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, davos said:

I literally don’t care they traded for Darnold. It’s what they traded and that they picked up his 5th year option without seeing him play in practice or preseason or anything. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen a franchise do. If they threw a 5th or 6th at Darnold that’s fine to see if he could work some stuff out. Low risk maybe some sort of reward. But to then double down and not bring in competition whether through the draft or a FA is fuging insane.  

I said before we should’ve been looking at the draft since rhule got here, kept cam and kept trying to get the next franchise. At the very least Cam is a leader and sets good examples for a very young team. He could’ve stabilized things.  Priority number one is qb. You aren’t doing poo without a legitimate one. 

rhule is an idiot. He think you can still win super bowls with players like Jimmy, a game manager. You can’t anymore. That’s just the reality.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yes that’s the best way, but will  Rhule do that? He knows he has to win now and probably will do whatever it takes, drafting a qb may not be the best move for him. I hope I’m wrong. 

For instance, former offensive coordinator Joe Brady recommended they sign Teddy Bridgewater 

We've already debunked this theory lol everybody knows it was Rhule's choice to sign Teddy... with Cam still on the roster this article has no credibility 

46 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Translation:

NFL people with NFL experience are begging the tard-in-charge not to proper fug the team’s upcoming draft.

Have you ever tried to play a video game with a young child?  It’s cute and funny at first, then quickly it devolves into completely unplayable, unenjoyable chaos.

Matt Rhule, your head coach.

And most of the time the 5 year old ends up kicking your ass.  

11 minutes ago, SJTFG said:

We've already debunked this theory

We? Sources please. I know this has been discussed to death, but I don't recall seeing anything definitive one way or another. Can you link to anything, interview, something that makes it clear it wasn't Joe Brady? I just don't recall seeing anything like that. It's been awhile, so memory could be fuzzy.