• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers and the Rooney Rule

Mr. Scot

6 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Here is a legit concern about the Rooney Rule - why bring in a minority candidate if you have no inclination to hire him to begin with?

Because the League has made it a requirement.

Why?  I'm not sure...appearances?

6 hours ago, 4Corners said:

it’s very embarrassing and ignorant  for any company to parade a black person around like they are going to hire him when they know it’s just a dog and pony show

Bad ideas/rules always have unintended consequences. 

Curious, what law is Flores alleging was broken?

7 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Here is a legit concern about the Rooney Rule - why bring in a minority candidate if you have no inclination to hire him to begin with? it’s very embarrassing and ignorant  for any company to parade a black person around like they are going to hire him when they know it’s just a dog and pony show

when you know the guy you want and he isn’t a minority, but you need to abide by the rule, what other option is there?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, onmyown said:

when you know the guy you want and he isn’t a minority, but you need to abide by the rule, what other option is there?

Exactly.

Other than allowing guys to gain experience for the interview process, which could in fact help them down the road -- the rule accomplishes nothing.

The way the NFL has implemented the Romney Rules causes more harm than good. It just gives the NFL the ability to put out some positive PR. 

No one is going to tell a bunch of billionaires how to run their businesses unless they do something that could bring in legal troubles like what happened with JR. 

Dan Snyder is still an owner ffs.

People are gonna attack Richardson for this, and he isn’t completely without fault as he has a history of being insensitive to race, but let’s not forget that he originally wanted Dungy (who turned him down for the Colts) and also signed off on drafting Cam first overall when people in the media were screaming that Gabbert was the better choice. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Exactly.

Other than allowing guys to gain experience for the interview process, which could in fact help them down the road -- the rule accomplishes nothing.

It's for show. If you're being called for an interview, how do you know if it's because you actually have a shot or if you are just there to fulfill a quota? I don't know what the solution is, but when the rule was implemented, it was pretty obvious that it was going to come to this at some point. 

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If you're being called for an interview, how do you know if it's because you actually have a shot or if you are just there to fulfill a quota?

Trust me, they all know.

I'd venture there's never been a single instance where a minority candidate was brought in to "check the box" and then the team in question thought "you know what, screw the guy who is our top pick, let's hire this dude"...!!

It is what it is and none of this is a surprise.

3 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't know what the solution is, but when the rule was implemented, it was pretty obvious that it was going to come to this at some point.

The solution is get rid of the rule, it accomplishes nothing.

17 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've never been a fan of the Rooney rule. I've been a fan of hiring the best guy for the job period. There's only 1 Lombardi trophy to win every year and I'll be damned if I wouldn't be hiring the most qualified or the guy with the right vision and plan on how to get there. 

The spirit of the Rooney rule is basically to force NFL teams to simply give opportunities to interview in the hopes that experience alone would start to change some hearts/minds and eventually black coaches would be given more jobs in the league. Mixed results so far but far less impact than I am guessing the league thought. 

Ultimately, it's going to take a lot of time. Owners are of an age range where you can expect certain attributes. Similarly, they are of a wealth range where you can expect certain attributes. If they hire enough similarly minded people, it makes it tough to change that culture. 

IMO, if the numbers of black assistant coaches, position coaches and coordinators keep increasing, the change is inevitable. The NBA had to go through similiar at one time. In rather typical fashion, the NFL is one of the slowest to change.

Human progress is about individual excellence and not inclusion.................

Equality of opportunity?..........you bet I'm all for that.....

................but results must stand on the integrity and excellence of the individual not on the social mantle of inclusion. AA hires to meet a quota without regard to individual excellence is nothing more than a recipe for failure within that organization. 

There is a reason why 70% of NFL players are Black............that's a huge over representation of their population in society at 14%...........so should we change the qualifications of the hiring of players to develop inclusion for say............Asians?....Hispanics?.........or what about (dot) Indians as offensive linemen? 

Everyone is different.........talents are different........find where they belong in society don't force inclusion for the sake of inclusion. 

Never forget this.........

The greatest minority of all is the minority of one..........the individual....................

• Poo 3

This may be a little off topic but I read somewhere that the NFL even awards Comp. Draft Picks to franchises now that hire minority candidates for GM or HC. I think Detroit was awarded 3rd round picks in 2021 and this year when they hired Brad Holmes as GM.

You would hope that incentives like this could lead to more opportunities for Minority Candidates, I'm not sure what else the League could do. Its like someone else said. You have to change hearts and minds. Its tough.