• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1 month for car repair

ladypanther

I took my VW Jetta to the dealership Dec 31 with a transmission problem.  They said it had been slow getting parts.  They needed some kind of valve for the transmission.  Fortunately under warranty and they were able to come up with a loaner for me.  The part came in Jan 31.  Got my car back Feb 2.

22 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I both miss and don't miss owning a car. Zipping around ... miss. This sort of crap? Don't miss.

There is absolutely no way that I could live the "city" life and not have a truck...simply no way.

The freedom is supplies me is invaluable.  Hats off to ya, it's certainly like a lifestyle that would work for me.

I had to have my tractor trucked to the local MF dealership back in september due to onboard computer problems.  Between the backlog on work caused by parts backorders and manpower shortages due to covid at the dealership it took almost 2 months to get my tractor back.  I was told by the service manager that one farmer had been waiting on some sort of special bolt to get one of his machines up and running for over 6 months.

When my son was born I wanted my wife to drive my new taco.  She was in an older civic and I didn't want them getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere.  So I started driving my 99 sierra.  I have since started hot rodding it and doing most of the work myself.  There are parts for that truck readily available everywhere.  I dont know if its because its gm or a 20+ year old truck but I honestly don't see me driving anything else for many years.  They just don't make vehicles like that anymore.  You are now at the mercy of the dealership to handle the work.  

14 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

When my son was born I wanted my wife to drive my new taco.  She was in an older civic and I didn't want them getting stuck on the side of the road somewhere.  So I started driving my 99 sierra.  I have since started hot rodding it and doing most of the work myself.  There are parts for that truck readily available everywhere.  I dont know if its because its gm or a 20+ year old truck but I honestly don't see me driving anything else for many years.  They just don't make vehicles like that anymore.  You are now at the mercy of the dealership to handle the work.  

Any GM or Ford 1/2 ton pickups, especially more than 10 years old is a good bet to be able to stay on the road...and do the work yourself.

GM tends to be a little easier to piece together than Fords.

15 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

I'm driving a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Ltd that I bought new off the lot back in the day. Minor repairs every now and then, but it just keeps running so well that I really have trouble rationalizing replacing it. The sucker can still climb up the side of a building if need be. Man, they really knew how to make 4wd then.