• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold's draft assessment

Zod

Just now, CRA said:

don't forget Sam was recruited initially to play LB at USC. 

and I think he only played one full season as a QB in high school.  

I did not know that but I could see him as a LBer. Like I said, he comes off as a classic jock so that fits. 

1 minute ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've said before I wonder if it's how he sees it. I know from personal experience, I was trying to understand how a particular type of valve works and I could not get it no matter what. Everyone around me got it, but I couldn't. Then I stopped trying to understand the valve like everyone else was doing and instead tried to understand how fluid moved through the valve and it clicked. Not only could I understand that valve, I could understand any version of that valve. 

I'm not saying Darnold will ever have one of those moments, it's just watching him never progress it looks like he's stuck much like I was. Of course with Gase and Rhule leading him, he looks worse now than ever. I don't know if he does or doesn't have it, and frankly I don't want to wait anymore to find out. Maybe McAdoo can help him, maybe not. Unless he has dramatic improvement by week 17, it's either cheap backup or hit the pavement. 

Good point and example. How people learn is a big part of being able to succeed at something. I could completly see the NFL and other levels being classical 'do it this way or fail' oldschool. 

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He can't turn the thinking switch off. You gotta be able to go into autopilot and trust your instincts (and those instincts have to actually be good).

It's why if I'm drafting a QB this year I'm taking Sam Howell. We've seen him play with NFL caliber weapons and we've seen him play behind a terrible OL and with very limited weapons. There's way less questions about his mental makeup on the field than there are most QB prospects. We've seen him in a variety of situations and he's found ways to produce and make his team competitive in all of them.

Ohhh ok, learned instincts being football instincts. The old 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' (if I am even saying that right lol). That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

IDK, it's early and I haven't seen enough. I kind of don't want to even do it this year, too much likely disappointment from this crew. I like some stuff about Howell and Willis but like my crush on Lance last year, I want to see some professional grade interviews. That is what sold me on Lance being worth a shot. 49ers went all in but a 1st on a guy like that is worth the miss in my opinion. Lots of these guys have good film, bad film and imperfections. It's that factor you see when interviewing someone young where you are like 'this person gets it and has room to grow'. That is what I want to see. Sam never had that as far as I have seen. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Ohhh ok, learned instincts being football instincts. The old 'slow is smooth, smooth is fast' (if I am even saying that right lol). That makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

IDK, it's early and I haven't seen enough. I kind of don't want to even do it this year, too much likely disappointment from this crew. I like some stuff about Howell and Willis but like my crush on Lance last year, I want to see some professional grade interviews. That is what sold me on Lance being worth a shot. 49ers went all in but a 1st on a guy like that is worth the miss in my opinion. Lots of these guys have good film, bad film and imperfections. It's that factor you see when interviewing someone young where you are like 'this person gets it and has room to grow'. That is what I want to see. Sam never had that as far as I have seen. 

The only issue I have with the Niners' move is that they went ALL IN. That was a huge trade. If Lance doesn't pan out they've really hamstrung themselves going forward. With that said, with their overall roster and a proven coach, they're in a much better situation to potentially lure in a top tier vet vs. a complete poo show of a team chasing top tier vets while getting laughed at.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Legitimate question: Is he just dumb? Not Bradshaw dumb but just not a bright guy? 

The projects around the league recently that have made that leap sound pretty smart. Lance last year showed a lot of brains in his interviews that I saw, one reason I was happy to take a flyer on a guy like that. 

I have never heard Sam speak and thought there was much brain power there, kind of an old school jock template if you will. It all just looks more than football awareness issues really.

IQ is a huge part of QB success.

• Beer 1

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The only issue I have with the Niners' move is that they went ALL IN. That was a huge trade. If Lance doesn't own out they've really hamstrung themselves going forward. With that said, with their overall roster and a prove coach, they're in a much better situation to potentially lure in a top tier vet vs. a complete poo show of a team chasing top tier vets while getting laughed at.

If you're Aaron Rodgers, you probably look at the 49ers and go "Yea, I can get that team over the top".

Unfortunately for us, if you're Aaron Rodgers you probably look at the Bucs and think the same thing.

• Beer 1

He has all the physical tools. But it's the same awful turnovers going back to USC. And for a guy who was a third overall pick and on a new team that gave up three picks and guaranteed him 19 million dollars out of the gate I knew all I needed to about his future with the team after his nonchalant reaction after this play.

7 minutes ago, frankw said:

He has all the physical tools. But it's the same awful turnovers going back to USC. And for a guy who was a third overall pick and on a new team that gave up three picks and guaranteed him 19 million dollars out of the gate I knew all I needed to about his future with the team after his nonchalant reaction after this play.

He was probably just thinking Hey Robby drop it. You've been doing that all year anyway

3 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

He was probably just thinking Hey Robby drop it. You've been doing that all year anyway

In the end we can only blame Rhule and Fitterer for thinking it was a slam dunk idea to rebuild our offense around three players even the Jets didn't want.

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, CRA said:

don't forget Sam was recruited initially to play LB at USC. 

and I think he only played one full season as a QB in high school.  

He had one offer to play QB from Utah. Went to an elite QB camp. Trent Dilfer tapped him and gave him the gold ticket to go to the finals camp where he got a flood of offers - USC was not one. He was considering playing QB for Duke, but really wanted to be the USC QB. Pushed USC to recruit him as QB. USC offered him to play OLB and Darnold declined. Had his HS coach send highlights of his athletic ability with basketball, and then received an offer from USC to play QB.

We have Trent Dilfer, Matt Leinhart, Jordan Palmer, and Mark Sanchez to thank. They have been working with and pumping up Sam Darnold for years.

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I've said before I wonder if it's how he sees it. I know from personal experience, I was trying to understand how a particular type of valve works and I could not get it no matter what. Everyone around me got it, but I couldn't. Then I stopped trying to understand the valve like everyone else was doing and instead tried to understand how fluid moved through the valve and it clicked. Not only could I understand that valve, I could understand any version of that valve. 

I'm not saying Darnold will ever have one of those moments, it's just watching him never progress it looks like he's stuck much like I was. Of course with Gase and Rhule leading him, he looks worse now than ever. I don't know if he does or doesn't have it, and frankly I don't want to wait anymore to find out. Maybe McAdoo can help him, maybe not. Unless he has dramatic improvement by week 17, it's either cheap backup or hit the pavement. 

So, you’re either a cardiologist or manage the 5 minute oil change shop ?🙂

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He lacks QB instincts. Once that ball is snapped, you have to be running on instinct. If you're thinking you're going to be too slow. Darnold is quite obviously thinking out there and that's why it all happens too slowly for him. He looks good when his first read is open because then he can operate without thinking.

It's not an intelligence thing, it's a how your mind works thing. You could be Elon Musk smart and still not have the right mentality to succeed at QB. 

It's also a has barely played QB thing. Remember that he just sort of accidentally ended being a QB in HS.