• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone going to the Megadeth Concert in Greenville?

Datawire

13 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

At this point I'm not sure Dave Mustaine is even capable of dying after some of the poo he's survived.

haha he still is no Ozzy, but point well made.

9 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Still prefer Megadeth over Selloutica.

I was the most hardcore metallica fan you could find back then. I understand what you mean. When the black album came out I was the asshole calling the radio station trying to get one air to tell everyone, trash this poo. It was such a let down, but like many fans, I held out hope. There is always the next album, right? Nope. Kind of like the Panthers.

6 hours ago, Shocker said:

Fug yeah with that lineup.  Amazing bands there.  Testament is SO underrated IMO and Slayer is the fuggin best

Dude it was a lifetime experience. I used to go to every metal concert within reason of travel. Got to see Pantera cowboys from hell first tour, get this opening act. Sepultura. fug yeah. Many, many others. Metal is really dead these days for arena type acts. It's been a while since I have been to an arena show, so yeah, i'm here for it.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Datawire said:

haha he still is no Ozzy, but point well made.

I was the most hardcore metallica fan you could find back then. I understand what you mean. When the black album came out I was the asshole calling the radio station trying to get one air to tell everyone, trash this poo. It was such a let down, but like many fans, I held out hope. There is always the next album, right? Nope. Kind of like the Panthers.

Dude it was a lifetime experience. I used to go to every metal concert within reason of travel. Got to see Pantera cowboys from hell first tour, get this opening act. Sepultura. fug yeah. Many, many others. Metal is really dead these days for arena type acts. It's been a while since I have been to an arena show, so yeah, i'm here for it.

Pantera and Sepultura would be an insane show,  two of my favorites

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

Pantera and Sepultura would be an insane show,  two of my favorites

I saw them another time, Sepultura that is, Little John Coliseum. Opening act was them, followed by a little band Alice in Chains. The headliner Ozzy. At the time Sepultura was my favorite band. They got cheesed out of sound as far as I am concerned but, still good concert.

Edit: Oh I just remember that was the year Layne Staley had a broke leg. He wheeled his as out on a wheelchair ready to go. By the time it was over his one legged ass was climbing the scaffolds. haha Not a good time for their band at that time. But looking back they put in the work.

Edited by Datawire
  • Pie 1

Saw Mustaine play with the Jimi Hendrix Experience tour in Raleigh a couple years ago. Him and Zakk Wylde doing Hendrix tunes was surreal.

Seen most of the bands you mentioned- Anthrax, Sepultura, Alice in Chains; Ozzy a few times, inlcuding Black Sabbath's second trip to the States; Testament very underrated; Pantera....

And don't forget, I'm the old guy who yells at clouds.

• Beer 2

15 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

And don't forget, I'm the old guy who yells at clouds.

Same here old man.

Question for you, and any others. I was wondering this earlier. I'm almost convinced many, many metal bands today will not have arena shows, as we have once known them. I mean, I took a look, Slipknot maybe? Sure, I could absolutely see that, for sure. Disturbed might be a consideration. But who else? Who else could sell out an arena as a metal act today? Arena metal is almost dead.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, Datawire said:

Same here old man.

Question for you, and any others. I was wondering this earlier. I'm almost convinced many, many metal bands today will not have arena shows, as we have once known them. I mean, I took a look, Slipknot maybe? Sure, I could absolutely see that, for sure. Disturbed might be a consideration. But who else? Who else could sell out an arena as a metal act today? Arena metal is almost dead.

And I'm not sure that's a bad thing? I prefer a smaller venue, only because the experience is better. And at my age, the experience is everything. Bands are more conscientious about their product in a smaller venue because the screw-ups are magnified. They're less concerned with sound quality and a tight performance when they have a stage the size of a football field to run around on and 20,000 fans going nuts.

I've seen a lot of bands in small venues who have packed 'em in around the world and it's a completely different experience. Saw Santana last year in a small theater- great show. I've seen Blackberry Smoke many times, none of them outdoors or in a large venue- mostly all concert bars like the Ritz in Raleigh or the Bucked Up Saloon in Kernersville, Ziggy's in Winston, etc.

13 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

And I'm not sure that's a bad thing? I prefer a smaller venue, only because the experience is better. And at my age, the experience is everything. Bands are more conscientious about their product in a smaller venue because the screw-ups are magnified. They're less concerned with sound quality and a tight performance when they have a stage the size of a football field to run around on and 20,000 fans going nuts.

I've seen a lot of bands in small venues who have packed 'em in around the world and it's a completely different experience. Saw Santana last year in a small theater- great show. I've seen Blackberry Smoke many times, none of them outdoors or in a large venue- mostly all concert bars like the Ritz in Raleigh or the Bucked Up Saloon in Kernersville, Ziggy's in Winston, etc.

Nah, not a bad thing at all. I agree with you the intimate venues are a lot funner, certainly a different experience. I think even many of the bands would say that. But I just wanted another experience of 20K fans going nuts.

2 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Just found out that Dropkick Murphys are playing in Wilmington next month. But, for some reason, general admission tix are $189 each.

Goddamn! My Megadeth tickets were about 70 bucks. I didn't get the cheap seats but I also didn't get the premium areas.

Last year I missed out on a local small venue the Firmament featuring Jinger. I wanted to check them out and tickets were about 60 bucks if I recall. But I waited too late and within a week it was sold out. 189  bucks, damn, that's some Elton John money haha..