• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we draft a QB, I want Carson Strong

Ricky Spanish

Pickett is a one year wonder, Corral plays in an RPO Offense, Willis is all potential with limited immediate impact, Howell is overvalued by the fanbase due to the proximity to UNC, and Desmond Ridder doesn't do it for me. Carson has the best and most consistent tape of any of the prospects, and he might have the best arm in the class. 

His biggest issue: his knee. If he didn't have any knee issues he might be the consensus #1 prospect this season. He has apparently had a procedure that has taken hold and hopefully there won't be any issues with the knee moving forward. If he passes medical tests, I want him as our QB of the future.

Carson 💪 Literature:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/carson-strong-interview-2022-nfl-draft

“Unless my leg snaps in half and my bone is sticking out of my skin, I’m gonna play. Unless I can’t walk, I’m going to play,” Strong said. “I’ve always said, if I can walk, I can play. There was never a thought that I was going to head for the sidelines or not finish the game.”

“My coaches gave me a lot of freedom… I had free reign at the line of scrimmage. When I came up to the line, whatever play we had, if I thought it was gonna work, I would keep it,” Strong said. “Based on the coverage, based on what the defensive line and the linebackers were showing me. If I didn’t think it was going to work, I had free reign to get into any play at any time. Whether that’s a run, pass, screen, it didn’t matter to me. I just wanted to have the right play out there. That’s why the coaches trusted me with that because I make good decisions. I wasn’t just checking to throw the deep ball every single play. If they’re playing press-man, I was going to check the deep ball, I was going to check the deep ball, but if we had numbers to run the ball, I’m checking it to the run. If they’re playing soft coverage, I’ll throw the screen.”

Carson 💪 video:

Carson 💪 Film Breakdown:

Please discuss how wrong I am. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

23 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Pickett is a one year wonder, Corral plays in an RPO Offense, Willis is all potential with limited immediate impact, Howell is overvalued by the fanbase due to the proximity to UNC, and Desmond Ridder doesn't do it for me. Carson has the best and most consistent tape of any of the prospects, and he might have the best arm in the class. 

His biggest issue: his knee. If he didn't have any knee issues he might be the consensus #1 prospect this season. He has apparently had a procedure that has taken hold and hopefully there won't be any issues with the knee moving forward. If he passes medical tests, I want him as our QB of the future.

Carson 💪 Literature:

Carson 💪 video:

Carson 💪 Film Breakdown:

He certainly sounds interesting based on what he says. Just out of curiosity, what round do you expect him to go in?

32 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Carson 💪 Literature:

Carson 💪 video:

Carson 💪 Film Breakdown:

His immobility is going to cause him to drop like a rock

• Pie 5

For all our failed gambles, this guy would be the ultimate moderate risk high reward prospect even at 6. 

He already reading and checking on his own. The IQ is there. He leads that offense he's changing plays and taking advantage. He has NFL height(6'4") weight, arm strength. Ops last video the guy proclaims Strong has the best deep ball in this class. I agree. It's effortless for him.

This team has done a lot of stupid stuff. Taking Strong, a potential prototype franchise QB who checks all the boxes at a young age as a JUNIOR wouldn't be the dumbest thing. That rookie contract could be gold on that guy.

Dude, everything I've pretty much read says that he is an AVERAGE athlete. In today's NFL, that's not going to cut it. He's virtually a statue. I would like someone who, when the script breaks down, can ad lib and make things happen off schedule. 

His knee is a HUGE question mark that I don't want to have to deal with on any given Sunday. It could start swelling again, and then what? No thanks!

I like how you are trying to intimate that Corral will only be successful in an RPO-based offense. Like any QB coming out of college, Corral will need to grow and develop. He can do what Strong can and so much more. Plus, he's more accurate.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

For all our failed gambles, this guy would be the ultimate moderate risk high reward prospect even at 6. 

He already reading and checking on his own. The IQ is there. He leads that offense he's changing plays and taking advantage. He has NFL height(6'4") weight, arm strength. Ops last video the guy proclaims Strong has the best deep ball in this class. I agree. It's effortless for him.

This team has done a lot of stupid stuff. Taking Strong, a potential prototype franchise QB who checks all the boxes at a young age as a JUNIOR wouldn't be the dumbest thing. That rookie contract could be gold on that guy.

Nobody is debating any of that, although its widely acknowledged he has to clean up on some of this.  However It would be borderline insanity to draft this kid in the first (or second) knowing he is never going to be anything more than an immobile qb.  He will be a sitting duck the entire game because teams know he isnt going to scramble or hell even has the ability to scramble.  It makes your offense one dimensional 

• Beer 1

He would have been the one great option in this draft if not for his knee.

If he faded as a school's season grew then he is going to find hell with that knee in the NFL. I wish he didn't have that injury, it looks like a big one on a guy that would easily be the best QB in this draft if that didn't exist. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Nobody is debating any of that, although its widely acknowledged he has to clean up on some of this.  However It would be borderline insanity to draft this kid in the first (or second) knowing he is never going to be anything more than an immobile qb.  He will be a sitting duck the entire game because teams know he isnt going to scramble or hell even has the ability to scramble.  It makes your offense one dimensional 

Reminds me of how they thought Drew Brees was finished after his shoulder surgery.

He scrambles well in the pocket to buy time. Do you guys consider being immobile not taking off running? This guy is still mobile inside the pocket. I don't see the issue with not taking off running at the QB position. Just drop those dimes. He's done that.

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Carson 💪 Literature:

Carson 💪 video:

Carson 💪 Film Breakdown:

Not that I'm a fan of taking Pickett at six, but to be fair, didn't people use the "one year wonder" criticism on Joe Burrow too?

As to Strong, I don't really give a sh-t about a quarterback's athleticism if they can make the reads and get the ball out fast.

I swear it's like people never watched Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Drew Brees play (or didn't pay attention to just how long their careers lasted).

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1