• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I found the path to fix our team

RIPTreyLance

18 minutes ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Trade CMC for one of the jets first round picks. Draft Tyler lindenbaum and Evan Neal / Trevor penning / ekwonu. Draft / sign a back or two and become a running back by committee team. Resign one of donte Jackson or reddick. Find a qb next year or trade for a qb next year 

parks and recreation no GIF

• Pie 5
  • Flames 2

28 minutes ago, RIPTreyLance said:

Trade CMC for one of the jets first round picks. Draft Tyler lindenbaum and Evan Neal / Trevor penning / ekwonu. Draft / sign a back or two and become a running back by committee team. Resign one of donte Jackson or reddick. Find a qb next year or trade for a qb next year 

Can't trade him for a first I doubt. His contract and his injuries past two seasons I have a feeling make that impossible to get a first unfortunately. Turn him into a slot receiver and make him some Wes Welker type then get us a couple durable running backs to carry that load and then that could be a pretty good situation and hopefully turn CMC into a player we can keep on the field but who knows, his body could just be breaking down some and could be the start of many more injury plagues seasons. I hope not though. When he is on field, he is a very good player but I just worry he may not ever play another full season again. Regardless I hope I am wrong on that but I truly do not believe we can get a 1st for him either way after the recent years of injuries. 

That is not a path and it definitely doesn't fix the team.

As a lame duck coach coming off multiple losing seasons, you have a couple plans that have proven themselves to work for the past 4 decades.

You can go with the miracle season path. Draft a top WR. Find a dark horse starting QB in the draft or stored away on another teams roster as a #3. The Panthers have the players and defense to make this plan work. You give your inexperienced but hopeful QB 7 targets in the passing game and let him throw and take risks. Go aggressive with a pass heavy offense and aggressive defense as though you have nothing to lose from the start of the season. Doubt the organization is intelligent enough to figure it out. Draft Garrett Wilson/Treylon Burks and Aqeel Glass/Jack Coan (or trade for Brett Rypien/Shane Buechele). Anyone who touches the ball can score, and there will always be at least 1 matchup to exploit on every play. The use of a RB out of the backfield in the passing game and the addition of a 3rd speed WR with great hands, that can be disciplined, can out jump DBs for contested balls, and come up with the clutch catch is key. QB must be decisive and be poised with the blitz in his face (this rules out Darnold).

You can go with the #1 defense path that can carry a bad offense. Panthers are also in a position to pull this off too, but they have to strengthen the center of the defense with a MLB and a couple big NT/DT to rotate in. Trade down to get extra picks, unload offensive players with trade value, and draft Devin Lloyd, Jordan Davis, Jermaine Johnson, and John Ridgeway.

Neither plan needs a top OL that can hold blocks to develop plays. Zone blocking, pulling, stretch, 3 and 5 step drops, play action, redzone roll outs, and quick screens. The later plan with the heavy defense carries over well after the lame duck coach, and sets up the incoming coach to have quick success.

The things a lame duck coach should never do. Draft OL. Draft 1st round QB. Go with a QB or RB by committee approach. Rely on a RB to carry the load game in and game out. Load up on pass rushers at the expense of run defense.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, RIPTreyLance said:

That's not doable.

I have a better one.

Step 1:  Tepper hires an overly qualified Director of Football Operations...over pay an Ozzie...

Step 2:  Tepper forgets he owns the team for the next 3 years and moves to Ft. Lauderdale with his pretty wife and decides he's really into bocce ball.

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I have a better one.

Step 1:  Tepper hires an overly qualified Director of Football Operations...over pay an Ozzie...

Step 2:  Tepper forgets he owns the team for the next 3 years and moves to Ft. Lauderdale with his pretty wife and decides he's really into bocce ball.

Hard to argue with that plan. 

I've always thought that an owner's job was to count money.  The NFL delivers it in box cars, count it, count it again, take your shoes off and wade in it, hell, take a nap in it if you want. 

If you want to be more active with the team, do what Tom Benson used to do in New Orleans.  When they won, he would take to the field after the game ended and dance.  The fans liked it, it got his mug on the highlights, and it did nothing to interfere with the team other than if he took the field right away and they had to run around him to get to the locker room.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Hard to argue with that plan. 

I've always thought that an owner's job was to count money.  The NFL delivers it in box cars, count it, count it again, take your shoes off and wade in it, hell, take a nap in it if you want. 

If you want to be more active with the team, do what Tom Benson used to do in New Orleans.  When they won, he would take to the field after the game ended and dance.  The fans liked it, it got his mug on the highlights, and it did nothing to interfere with the team other than if he took the field right away and they had to run around him to get to the locker room.

That should have been the plan from day 1...but Tepper is too stupid, egotistical, or cheap to do it.

We know he's not cheap, so it's ego or stupidity....I think it's a full portion of both to be honest.

I don't even care if he attended the games, knew what the mascot was, or even decided he didn't like our motto...Keep Pounding...oh poo...nvm....or if he knew what zipcode the stadium is in...just get the F outta the way.

• Pie 2

I think CMC can still be useful. We should make him our Deebo Samuel and use him in a similar fashion. He should be our slot receiver/ change up (sometimes 3rd down) back. He has always made a great decoy and is a real asset in pass pro. I think we need to bring in a bigger downhill back to pound the rock with. Maybe Hubbard can get into the rotation some (I wasn't really impressed with him, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt based on what he was working with). I think we should use 3 backs. 

JMO