• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Watson Thread - Part Deux

Zod

Honestly I would understand the interest in the Saints if Payton was still the HC, but between Payton no longer being there, what they can offer (#28 pick, later first round picks), and the pieces they could lose in FA/in a trade deal (Marcus Williams just left for the Ravens, Ramcyzk would have to be included in a deal, someone may pay Armstead a boatload in FA), I honestly don't see the appeal. But I guess that's just the Panther Blue tinted glasses I've got on.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

it hurts the ego to see him go to the Saints if you're on of those fans who got your hopes up for a year maybe, but there are no shortcuts in the NFL.  Saints get one or two cracks at the ring before DW is making $55 million a year (it's clear he wants to get paaaaaaid and takes these meetings as a way to pressure his preferred team to up their offer) and they lose their talent with no means to replace them,  while we build up a pretty good defense alongside finally addressing the offensive line, and then we'll be set by bringing in a veteran QB or drafting a rookie.  This is better in the long run even if it doesn't look like it

Edited by MVPccaffrey
  • Poo 2

Just now, UNCrules2187 said:

Honestly I would understand the interest in the Saints if Payton was still the HC, but between Payton no longer being there, what they can offer (#28 pick, later first round picks), and the offensive pieces they could lose in FA/in a trade deal (Marcus Williams just left for the Ravens, Ramcyzk would have to be included in a deal, someone may pay Armstead a boatload in FA), I honestly don't see the appeal. But I guess that's just the Panther Blue tinted glasses I've got on.

Ramcyzk would be something like an immediate 27 million dead cap hit if hes traded.  They JUST restructured his contract to attempt to get under the cap.  I just dont see the resources there on NO's side.  Especially compared to what we can offer. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MVPccaffrey said:

it hurts the ego to see him go to the Saints if you're on of those fans who got your hopes up for a year maybe, but there are no shortcuts in the NFL.  Saints get one or two cracks at the ring before DW is making $55 million a year and they lose their talent with no means to replace them,  while we build up a pretty good defense alongside finally addressing the offensive line, and then we'll be set by bringing in a veteran QB or drafting a rookie.  This is better in the long run even if it doesn't look like it

Sounds great if you don't understand how the NFL works. 

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

It's a job. Why shouldn't he maximize his compensation. You would, wouldn't you? 

In his situation where he’s lucky to even be a free man I personally would be humbled and consider myself lucky anyone wants me on a team. But then again I’ve never been tempted at this level so that’s purely anecdotal I guess 

Just now, RJK said:

In his situation where he’s lucky to even be a free man I personally would be humbled and consider myself lucky anyone wants me on a team. But then again I’ve never been tempted at this level so that’s purely anecdotal I guess 

But he has multiple suitors that would gladly take him. Why shouldn't he maximize his value? 

Saints just lost a key defensive player ... 

Ravens signed FS Marcus Williams, formerly of the Saints, to a five-year, $70 million contract. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the deal includes $37 million guaranteed. A second-round pick by the Saints back in 2017, Williams has been a quality starter from day one and was one of the best players available in free agency. Only 25, Williams is the kind of player it makes sense to splurge on in free agency. Baltimore's secondary was decimated by injuries last season, but there is still plenty of talent there and Williams only adds to that. The Ravens' defense has a good shot to get back on track in 2022.