• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers signing bozeman

w280sax

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm sitting here in dismay by the two FA signings honestly.  Shocked really. Not sure if I should be optimistic that they may have figured it out or depressed that i may have missed judged the value of these two particular FA's.

I'm pretty good with it so far.

As always though, we'll see what happens when the bullets start flying.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Clicheking said:

Me like.....We still need to pick up another guard in the draft, but this gives us a lot of flexibility come draft night

I mean Deonte Brown is around, who know's if they'll actually give him a chance but everyone notices the shift to a more professional approach of how to put together a decent roster the last couple days. At least these new vets can tell the coaches what question marks are performing up to par or not

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

All of a sudden, my optimism has returned...

Solid moves, dodged a bullet.

Maybe.... hmmmmm.

On paper, we look to be a piece or two away from only needing a game manager at QB (not ideal, but work with me).  Here is why:

Hopefully, CMC is completely healed.  Nobody who reaches this level is injury prone-I had a coach in college tell me that injuries occur because you have to break your training /conditioning routine.  He said that you tend to mentally favor one part of the body and that screws up technique.  Technique prevents injuries.  He said that to me when I was wearing a sling at the conclusion of Spring practice--headed for reconstructive shoulder surgery....

Not enough is being said about Terrace Marshall.   As the #3 WR, he was not getting enough looks.  I expect massive improvement in year 2.  With more time to throw the ball, the big WR will get more looks.

Same for Brady Christensen.  He should be much better in year 2 now that he has seen the OL from nearly every position.

I expect Hubbard in year two to have some improvement and the new addition D'Onte Foreman will give us power up the gut.   Missing in 2021 with only Hubbard and other smaller backs, this should be interesting.

Expect Tremble and Thomas to play a bigger role in the offense.  Without a great run game, bad Oline, and an inability to recognize the TE as a weapon, the Panthers were very one dimensional in the passing game--throw it to one guy all the time.

Of course the biggest upgrades--Bozeman and Corbett--have given us a substantial upgrade to 40% of our OL.  I expect another addition soon.

All we need is an OT/OG and a QB.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

All we need is an OT/OG and a QB.

There's a lot on paper to think optimistically about.

But there's still these factors:

1) I'm not believing in our defense yet. We're looking at a lot of subtraction by subtraction at the moment. Perhaps some stout defenders are on their way in, but I'm looking at a defense that is right now weaker than it was last season. And last season, we got run over by everyone just about after week 4. 

2) I don't believe in Robby Anderson as a WR2, I think he's chicken-hearted and a diva on top of that. Bad team mate and bench poison. Hopefully Terrace Marshall can move into the WR2 or we find a trade partner for him.

3) QB. We don't have one yet, but we doubled down on who we had last year. I'd bet that Cam is still on speed dial and that's not a good thing. We will probably draft QB in the first round now, but I'm not sure of the strength of this class (although no class is ever completely a bust in QBs, someone always seems to stick) and I'm not sure Rhule is going to develop a pro-level QB. 

4) The team was soft last year, cream puffs in light blue and black. There was a decided lack of grit outside of three or four players, one of which has moved on to Philadelphia. Soft teams develop from soft culture. They don't survive in the NFL, they last about, hmmm, four weeks. I don't believe in Rhule's culture, but maybe it will firm up this year.

We've gotten some good players and had the good fortune to NOT get our unicorn. That's reassuring, but man, the stink of the last couple of years is going to be hard to wash off of the team. 

• Pie 2