• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's head is to large.

Diehardpanth02

Just now, ECHornet said:

You think Rhule is the only coach/scout/GM that looked into Pickett’s hand size? After such a big deal was made about it prior to and at the combine?

I get critiquing Rhule over passing on a guy like Slater (I still like the Horn pick), but creating issues over nothing just to complain gets old. Everyone has been talking hand size with Pickett.

Fair enough. But whether you believe in Rhule or not, the point of the matter is the dude consistently displays a lack of understanding in his current position. Focusing on hand size is just a microcosm of his problems as a whole.

2 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

If Rhule drafted a bunch of undersized players, this forum would magically believe in measurables again, like the posters here and every scouting department does this time of year.

Undersized players is one thing. The length of a thumb to a middle finger is another.

And don't get me started on arm length. All these "measurables" have a place. I guess my frustrations lie in the lack of understanding of how they evaluate talent. From an outside perspective it seems to me that the focus is on details that seem irrelevant in the scope of it all.

But again..I'm just an outsider with pent up frustration towards a franchise that consistently shows no signs of an upward trend with this current staff. The media portrayal obviously doesn't help.

12 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Fair enough. But whether you believe in Rhule or not, the point of the matter is the dude consistently displays a lack of understanding in his current position. Focusing on hand size is just a microcosm of his problems as a whole.

What decisions since firing Brady have been problematic?

Everyone wanted changes and suggested firing Brady. He did and I believe that was the right move. 

Since then, I’ve been impressed more than disappointed with decisions from our leadership. I like the guys we brought in to coach. I like most of the deals we made in free agency (Ian Thomas being the biggest head scratcher imo). 

Let’s be as quick to give props over good moves as we are in criticizing the dumb. We messed up at QB. Two years running. That’s the biggest issue but what I like most is we are not complacent and are trying to address it.

I’m optimistic at this point in the off-season. A better oline & healthy CMC paired with our young and promising defense may surprise you in 2022. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Undersized players is one thing. The length of a thumb to a middle finger is another.

And don't get me started on arm length. All these "measurables" have a place. I guess my frustrations lie in the lack of understanding of how they evaluate talent. From an outside perspective it seems to me that the focus is on details that seem irrelevant in the scope of it all.

But again..I'm just an outsider with pent up frustration towards a franchise that consistently shows no signs of an upward trend with this current staff. The media portrayal obviously doesn't help.

A number of teams passed on Slater. The media might even have a roll in that. GMs get eviscerated when they draft a player that lacks measurables and it doesn't pan out. Just keep in mind that the sports media is only slightly less stupid than the message board crowd. Think about how often they are dead wrong about things.

It's easy for people to pound their chest about one thing they got right when there's no accountability for the last 10 things they got wrong.

Hell, some of our long tenured posters here have never been right about anything, and they're so ecstatic about the fact that they might be right about Rhule that they can't stop posting about it.

13 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

What decisions since firing Brady have been problematic?

Everyone wanted changes and suggested firing Brady. He did and I believe that was the right move. 

Since then, I’ve been impressed more than disappointed with decisions from our leadership. I like the guys we brought in to coach. I like most of the deals we made in free agency (Ian Thomas being the biggest head scratcher imo). 

Let’s be as quick to give props over good moves as we are in criticizing the dumb. We messed up at QB. Two years running. That’s the biggest issue but what I like most is we are not complacent and are trying to address it.

I’m optimistic at this point in the off-season. A better oline & healthy CMC paired with our young and promising defense may surprise you in 2022. 

For one, the issue with the QB position is single handedly enough for any fan base to grow tired of a coach. The way they did Cam, then far over paying for Teddy and Sam. It isn't just a Darnold problem. And Brady was just a scape goat. Then we move on to the Oline issue, paired with that problem at QB. Expecting anyone under center to flourish with what we fielded these last two seasons really makes you wonder if there is any evaluation being done at all. The moves they have made this season should've been made two seasons ago, at this point we are just thankful that they finally accepted they made a mistake. And who made that correction? Fitterer, Morgan, or even Tepper? We all know it isn't RHULE doing the scouting because when it was, it was all his homeboys he was dragging to play. Maybe hurney too at that time. Games aren't won in free agency, they are won on Sunday. And this is an 11 man game. So the results are to be determined.

I could go all day with who is at fault. And blame. Your right what is the point in focusing on the negatives. But this is a league driven by the consumer. And if we can't devour the product on the field with pride, then the negatives became excaserbated. And they tend to be focused on until they are addressed. Let's see what they do. Until then, I will remain skeptical. Every time I begin to get excited I see Matt Rhule scratching his head in confusion on game day. And honestly I think most of us are sick of it.

Edited by Diehardpanth02
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

We messed up at QB. Two years running. That’s the biggest issue but what I like most is we are not complacent and are trying to address it.

I like you point but I would argue that we didnt 'mess up' the QB position. We didnt have one and we were not wanting to draft one so we took shots and guys that had potential. It was always a risk bringing in Darnold, it was never a guarantee that he would be good. It was a high upside low downside trade. 

A 2nd round pick is a low cost to pay for a potential franchise QB. I get people are upset that he didnt play good last year but our expectations should have always been low. 

I'm a believer is swinging for the fences on a QB till you find one and we have a team that does that. Thats a good thing. 

• Beer 2

5 hours ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

To be fair. I'm not a journalist. And this is a discussion board. I do my best on this small phone I have. If you would like I would be more than happy to send you a more grammatically correct version too you personally. If I need 2.

But thanks for the observation.

That's a good comeback.  Don't take offense.  I get blasted for my errors too.  You go on using the phone and don't worry about it.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Pakmeng said:

Where are you getting they focus more on one than the other?  Just because it's a hot topic we discuss forever here and doesn't mean they measured his hand for the majority of the time they met. 

Because it's a reoccurring thing. It's happened more than once. And the players they start, or don't start like BC. Honestly, we just have differing opinions If you wanna be right, go for it. But I'm in doubt until proven we can win more than 5 games with this guy. I wasn't speaking like this with ron. Plain and simple. And he wasn't the greatest by any means.

Edited by Diehardpanth02

Dude always looks like he just rolled out of bed and threw on his clothes for the game.  Have a little self respect you are a head coach of an NFL team.  Act like it and look like it.  I think he is another good college coach that will go back to college and do well, just not NFL material.  

• Beer 1