• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love is in the air.....

Zod

41 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Honestly is Pickett’s ceiling any higher than Teddy Bridgewater?

IMO, yes.  I've watched a few Pickett vs (team) clips on youtube but I'm by no means an expert at scouting QBs.  

Couple things that I remember

• Goes through progressions well
  • Mechanics are good
  • Not afraid to take deep shots
  • Can vary release/arm angle 
  • Great control of the offense

To elaborate on the mechanics, a lot of the time he was in sync with his "hitches" and reads.  IDK man, I'm not a scout or QB mechanics expert or even good at my day job but that bounce thing where the QB goes through progressions but also lines up his feet and hips to the target?  I'm calling that a hitch. 

First hitch he was looking at the first read with his feet aligned, second hitch looked at the second read with his feet aligned, etc.  This is something that Darnold notoriously struggled with last year.  He would panic and speed up his hitches.  He would be on the second or third read but his feet would be who knows where.  

I'm slightly concerned with his arm strength if he tries to throw off platform.  I thought he ran the ball a little more than I'd like to see at the NFL level.  

I'd say his ceiling is Carr which isn't a bad thing but my personal preference is boom or bust for QBs.  I would not be upset if he was our choice at 6.  

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, shaka said:

IMO, yes.  I've watched a few Pickett vs (team) clips on youtube but I'm by no means an expert at scouting QBs.  

Couple things that I remember

• Goes through progressions well
  • Mechanics are good
  • Not afraid to take deep shots
  • Can vary release/arm angle 
  • Great control of the offense

To elaborate on the mechanics, a lot of the time he was in sync with his "hitches" and reads.  IDK man, I'm not a scout or QB mechanics expert or even good at my day job but that bounce thing where the QB goes through progressions but also lines up his feet and hips to the target?  I'm calling that a hitch. 

First hitch he was looking at the first read with his feet aligned, second hitch looked at the second read with his feet aligned, etc.  This is something that Darnold notoriously struggled with last year.  He would panic and speed up his hitches.  He would be on the second or third read but his feet would be who knows where.  

I'm slightly concerned with his arm strength if he tries to throw off platform.  I thought he ran the ball a little more than I'd like to see at the NFL level.  

I'd say his ceiling is Carr which isn't a bad thing but my personal preference is boom or bust for QBs.  I would not be upset if he was our choice at 6.  

Go back and look at his stats from the previous 4yrs. You won't feel the same. He struggled to score 13TDs before all of a sudden a good year.  Actually before this season the last 4 he could be described as a guy who was ok in college and not NFL material. 

Body of work is very questionable and so is a five year tenure to be considered draft eligible. Smells all kinds of wrong. So enjoy this season he looks good one has to seriously ask the question, is this a sustainable level of play for this QB? The history isn't good.

Tape is just the half. It's what a guy has done on the field and if this was truly a top prospect it wouldn't have taken five years in the oven.

• Pie 2