• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scouting reports for the top three quarterbacks

Verge

I think being able to throw bombs is very overrated. How often do you see QBs throw super deep in games? Not that much. Not only do you need to be accurate, but you need WRs who can meet you at the spot, an OC who can drum up the play, and hope you're not going up against DBs that will be in stride with your WR. Sure, it's a great plus to have, but I wouldn't count that toward Willis at all. That's usually the first thing someone says about him: strong arm, lol. Show me the kid in the two minute drill against top talent, show me him taking the ball from inside the 20 all the way down for a score, show me him hitting multiple targets per game. That's what I want to see. Neat, he can sling it and scramble. So can PJ. So can Jalen Hurts. Hurts DID lead all Fantsay scores last season I hear ... maybe you Willis lot are just in it to be able to draft a Panther on your team. 😉

Edited by Brooklyn 3.0
  • Pie 1

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think there are really two reason why this is considered a "weak" class. One, because last year's class was so strong on paper. Two, because there's no slam dunk top prospect in this class. There's no Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence who checks all the boxes. There are some good prospects in this class but they all have question marks. Hell, that's a normal class. If you give me a third reason, it's because last year's strong class on paper didn't exactly light the world on fire on the field as rookies.

If we are evaluating this year's QB class, we have to compare it to Baker and Darnold's QB class since those are our other options at QB. It's very telling if you think Darnold and Baker were better prospects compared to this year's class. They went top 3, there might not even be a top 10 QB this year. Why reach for a QB who is less of a prospect compared to Darnold and Baker? 

1 minute ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

If we are evaluating this year's QB class, we have to compare it to Baker and Darnold's QB class since those are our other options at QB. It's very telling if you think Darnold and Baker were better prospects compared to this year's class. They went top 3, there might not even be a top 10 QB this year. Why reach for a QB who is less of a prospect compared to Darnold and Baker? 

Most analysts had Baker as a mid-late 1st rounder before it became clear the Browns were zeroing in on him.

Hell, I always hated Darnold as a prospect. He had serious turnover issues dating back to college, both INTs and fumbles. At least some parts of his game translated to the NFL.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I think being able to throw bombs is very overrated. How often do you see QBs throw super deep in games? Not that much. Not only do you need to be accurate, but you need WRs who can meet you at the spot, an OC who can drum up the play, and hope you're not going up against DBs that will be in stride with your WR. Sure, it's a great plus to have, but I wouldn't count that toward Willis at all. That's usually the first thing someone says about him: strong arm, lol. Show me the kid in the two minute drill against top talent, show me him taking the ball from inside the 20 all the way down for a score, show me him hitting multiple targets per game. That's what I want to see. Neat, he can sling it and scramble. So can PJ. So can Jalen Hurts. Hurts DID lead all Fantsay scores last season I hear ... maybe you Willis lot are just in it to be able to draft a Panther on your team. 😉

Its also like scouting how good college BB players at full-court buzzer beaters, it is odd. I want to know QB handles adversity. PERIOD. The NFL is a mega-factory of adversity.  

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I want to go with

• Vision
  • Processing
  • Accuracy

All of those are Pickett--but you did not have "ball security" as a trait!!

I also think Pickett has a pretty quick release, close to that of Corral.

I was surprised that Willis was not the #1 in Leadership.   I think I would have had him there.

After the Senior Bowl and Pro Days I would say Willis #1 in leadership/hyping guys up. Willis was telling his WR's to brush off the drops and was really excited they were getting a chance to perform in front of national media. Corral just looked kinda bossy with his guys, and irritated about the routes/accuracy whatever the actual issue was today. Don't remember the chemistry with Pickett's pro day, was the most business like. 

I do think its kind of a weak draft class but was listening to a bit with ryan leaf the other day and he had a great take, the reason the draft is "bad" is the guys in the mid to late rounds are just non-existent.  So looking for a backup QB to groom in the mid to late rounds...yea good luck with that.  I also dont think theres high TOP END talent, but there are good QBs that could be great starters in the NFL.  So, all of that to say it only takes one.  Think of hurricane season, hurricane season can be "weak" with fewer storms, but everyone will remember if that one cat 5 wrecks poo up, so if even 1 QB is a home run, thats the only thing that will be remembered about this class.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I do think its kind of a weak draft class but was listening to a bit with ryan leaf the other day and he had a great take, the reason the draft is "bad" is the guys in the mid to late rounds are just non-existent.  So looking for a backup QB to groom in the mid to late rounds...yea good luck with that.  I also dont think theres high TOP END talent, but there are good QBs that could be great starters in the NFL.  So, all of that to say it only takes one.  Think of hurricane season, hurricane season can be "weak" with fewer storms, but everyone will remember if that one cat 5 wrecks poo up, so if even 1 QB is a home run, thats the only thing that will be remembered about this class.

Also because we had a run of Herbert/Burrow/Jones/Watson/Mahommes/Tua/Trevor/Wilson etc in the last 5 years expectations are high. Feels like there was a good 5-10 year stretch before that where you were getting maybe 1 starter/non bust a year on average, or teams just had there long term Vet from the early 2000's and were set

• Pie 1

I still can't believe how much and how many people consider Pickett not the best QB in this class but also a great prospect in any other year. Without getting into the mechanics, which are definite strengths, he had 47 total TD! He had over 4700 yds! He set ACC passing records and broke Marino's school record at Pitt. He was a champion. He ran a pro-style offense. And yet, he's called not worthy and the 2nd best QB in this year's draft to a guy who was pretty good at the mighty Liberty. 

I don't get the idea that we should draft a guy who has some magical "higher potential". We then have to believe that he will first, equal the level of play of the guy we are passing over. Next, we have to believe that when he reaches the level of play of the guy we are passing over, that he will surpass that level of play.

So, we are basically expecting the kid from Liberty, to improve two steps, to reach that next level instead of drafting the other guy and only asking him to improve 1 more step to reach that next level. In any other year this guy would be hailed in the media for his story alone.   

If he were in last year's draft, would the Jets have taken the BYU kid over Pickett? With all the hype that went into that class? I'm not so sure about that. The kid from New Jersey with 47 tds and 4700 yds coming to New York Jets or the kid from BYU? 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

1 hour ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

They're rated similar (by nfl advisory and nfl.com rating system) to Fields and Jones who went in the top 15 last year.  They are all rated higher than Mahomes draf profile as well. 

But yes they are both rated lower than Mayfield and Darnold were by the same system. 

14 hours ago, mc52beast said:

There isn’t one qb in this class worth taking in the top 10 yet at least two of them will go top 10. I hope Fitterer/Morgan realize this and trade back like I’m expecting them to do.

Rhule and Fitterer are the last dudes without a date to prom. They are gonna ask the ugly girl to the dance just to have a date.