• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

They must have a QB plan...

Jmac

Best case scenario is that mayfield is still available going into the draft. 

That would enable us to go bpa or trade back. If he’s gone we’re drafting Pickett.

Also with the way this off-season is going league wide, I wouldn’t rule out us making a big move out of left field

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s safe to say general consensus is we don’t like Darnold, but wasn’t he considered our “rookie” quarterback with potential when they traded for him?

Wasnt it obvious he was a developmental guy?

Sure the choice to bring him in looks bad when he doesn’t play well, but doesn’t it also look bad that you give up on developing him after one season where he was “hurt” for part of it with a terrible line in front of him?

Just don’t get the logic all around with Darnold. They traded for a project and are acting like he is an 8 year vet that was supposed to fix everything immediately. 

Weird. 

I never liked them calling him a rookie. There was 3 horrible years of tape. If he was a rookie and that was his college tape he would have been drafted in the 6th or 7th round. 
Darnold is who he is and no matter how good his O-line is or his weapons are he will always hold back any team he is on. 
He is a now a 5 year vet. He is a bust. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, joemac said:

Murray can't pass from the pocket? WTF are you talking about?

He is too small, he does not study film, his best plays are when he is playing backyard football. 

Also he wants 50m per year. Did you not see the presser thing he put out about how he singlehandedly made the cardinals a playoff team? I dont want any part of this guy. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s safe to say general consensus is we don’t like Darnold, but wasn’t he considered our “rookie” quarterback with potential when they traded for him?

Wasnt it obvious he was a developmental guy?

Sure the choice to bring him in looks bad when he doesn’t play well, but doesn’t it also look bad that you give up on developing him after one season where he was “hurt” for part of it with a terrible line in front of him?

Just don’t get the logic all around with Darnold. They traded for a project and are acting like he is an 8 year vet that was supposed to fix everything immediately. 

Weird. 

Pretty much this.

We traded for him based on potential and treated him with kid gloves in the pre-season as Sean Ryan tried to rework Darnold's footwork and processing. 

Come the regular season we put him behind an OLine that let the opposing defence cave his head in. He ended up with a concussion and a fractured shoulder blade.

Now it seems we're incredibly keen to move on from him - with the kicker being that the new QB is going to have a competent OLine infront of him, which is just cruel. 

In my opinion the #6 pick should be spent on continuing to improve that OLine with a LT and we should draft a QB on Day 3, or pick up a Dalton / Fitzpatrick / Smith in FA to bolster the QB room. We can't go into the new season with PJ Walker as the backup, he's terrible. 

You're already paying Darnold $18m this year - and you're not in a position to pick up a significant upgrade without overdrafting / trading away valuable resources. Put him behind a good OLine and play out the season - if he's still terrible then there's 3 QBs you can target next year in the Draft (along with the usual QB carousel in FA) - either way that LT at #6 pays dividends.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I never liked them calling him a rookie. There was 3 horrible years of tape. If he was a rookie and that was his college tape he would have been drafted in the 6th or 7th round. 
Darnold is who he is and no matter how good his O-line is or his weapons are he will always hold back any team he is on. 

Yep

ole Matt has quite the legacy,  cam. Teddy. Sam. Cam again  Lot of lost money and draft picks and time 

…and yet he is still here…..because……no one knows why 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don’t disagree per say. 

Just pointing out that if I was making decisions, and I acquire a player that needs to be developed, I give him a couple years to develop, and fug what the crowd thinks. 

I expect fans to be impatient, but not the staff. If I felt good enough to give up those picks for Darnold, then I should not be so fickle to not develop him and the team around him. 

I like Carrol and the tools Willis has, but I’d still draft LT or pass rusher, and run it back with Darnold if I want to develop, or Cam if I want a vet. 

A rebuilt line and healthy weapons would get us closer to the truth on how good Sam is, or how much Cam has left in the tank. 

Nope on Kyler, Lamar or Carr.  We need that 4-5 year window of cap flexibility that a rookie brings.  Lamar and Murray want to get paid $$$$.  

Jimmy GQ and Baker are decent plan B's but I think we have seen their ceiling and I'm not impressed.  

This year I would bring in Fitzmagic in as a mentor then go with a value pick at QB late round.  A Bailey Zappe or EJ Perry.  The next year go full press on the QB class. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I don’t disagree per say. 

Just pointing out that if I was making decisions, and I acquire a player that needs to be developed, I give him a couple years to develop, and fug what the crowd thinks. 

I expect fans to be impatient, but not the staff. If I felt good enough to give up those picks for Darnold, then I should not be so fickle to not develop him and the team around him. 

I like Carrol and the tools Willis has, but I’d still draft LT or pass rusher, and run it back with Darnold if I want to develop, or Cam if I want a vet. 

A rebuilt line and healthy weapons would get us closer to the truth on how good Sam is, or how much Cam has left in the tank. 

The problem is that word “development”. If Darnold was a rookie I would be more forgiving. 
I think the front office realizes they made a mistake and that Darnold, no matter how they want to, can not be treated like a rookie. 
You mention fans being impatient. But I, personally, am not impatient and I think most Panthers fan aren’t either. 
They knew when the Panthers brought on one of the statistically worst QBs in recent years they could only hoped for the best. 
The Darnold failed and it was anger, not being impatient, that many Panthers fans were feeling. 
Darnold is a bad QB. The evidence is damning. He was one of the statistically worst QBs when not under pressure and he deep ball was god awful. 
Thinking he will turn a corner with a good line is wishful thinking. 

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

The problem is that word “development”. If Darnold was a rookie I would be more forgiving. 
I think the front office realizes they made a mistake and that Darnold, no matter how they want to, can not be treated like a rookie. 
You mention fans being impatient. But I, personally, am not impatient and I think most Panthers fan aren’t either. 
They knew when the Panthers brought on one of the statistically worst QBs in recent years they could only hoped for the best. 
The Darnold failed and it was anger, not being impatient, that many Panthers fans were feeling. 
Darnold is a bad QB. The evidence is damning. He was one of the statistically worst QBs when not under pressure and he deep ball was god awful. 
Thinking he will turn a corner with a good line is wishful thinking. 

The presumption was the Jets fuged up Sam. 

Sam was also 23 when they made the trade. Younger than Pickett. 

I’m arguing not my view, but the staffs view. 

And from that view (developmental) giving up after 3/4 of a season is silly. 

And I must live in a different reality because the average person is absolutely impatient, not just with fandom but every aspect of life 😆

My argument is don’t trade for a developmental QB if you aren’t going to develop them. Every QB decision so far has been a debacle. Cam, Teddy, Sam, Cam again. Maybe the 5th go will work. 

• Pie 2