• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers favor Malik Willis?

micnificent28

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Most are just playing favorites for various reasons but pretending they have no bias. And then some are living in the 90's and early 2000's and spend their days agonizing over the thought of drafting a mobile quarterback.

I agree with you to an extent but the agonizing over the thought of drafting a mobile quarterback works both ways.  There are way more people here who overrate mobility than hate the idea of having a mobile qb.

1 minute ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

was gonna make a thread about this but this is good enough. 

If they go all in on a QB it looks like it's willis. At least, it looks like it, but this team has made some bonehead plays before. 

That's all I'm saying. If you go LT I get it. Neal, Icky, cross to a lesser degree. But if you looking Qb it's a gamble and the gamble has to be Willis.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, micnificent28 said:

That's all I'm saying. If you go LT I get it. Neal, Icky, cross to a lesser degree. But if you looking Qb it's a gamble and the gamble has to be Willis.

Yeah. At this point, it is a gamble. In reality all these QB's are gambles. The biggest gamble of them all would be Willis, but if he works out the payout would be amazing. Just sucks to not have a 2nd round pick in a draft that has some really good Tackles and other players. Imagine if they kept teddy and rode with him instead of trading for Darnold. I bet they would have the same record but have a 2nd. lol. Oh well, ce la vie. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Let’s be honest, he’s not getting it done when it counts. He’s 1-3 in the playoffs with 13 points scored per game. That’s downright awful to be honest. There’s people who would say Cam didn’t get it done and he was 3-4 in the playoffs and even with the SB and that SF game where we couldn’t score at the goal line, Cam’s averaged 24 points per game.

Jackson is a good QB but he’s trending the wrong way lately and his playoff record and performance has been pretty poor so far. He’s got to turn that around or he won’t be considered anywhere near elite.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I agree with you to an extent but the agonizing over the thought of drafting a mobile quarterback works both ways.  There are way more people here who overrate mobility than hate the idea of having a mobile qb.

Mobility with the position is common across the league though so can you really overrate it? Statue type QB's are much more rare than they were ten years ago when we took Cam. If you look at the best QB's right now almost all of them have that ability some more than others. Even Tom Brady will move around now.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Everyone does thats why we play the games... that's where hall of famer are made. What emitt smith's rushing record only counts in the playoffs? How many yards would he have in 13 seasons 500?

Winning in the regular season, but going nowhere in the playoffs over several years gets old, too.  Eventually the clock strikes midnight on the core of the roster, they have little to show for it, and the fans are just as impatient as we are.

Ask Ravens or Cowboys fans how thrilled they are with that template, and how that translates to their view of Jackson or Dak.....or Romo (different style, but same results), for that matter. Just being one of seven teams out of 16 in the conference that makes the playoffs most years sounds attractive to those of us who support teams that are one of the other nine, but after a couple of years the fanbase is pretty much just as dissatisfied.  The arguments just shift from "can't take us to the playoffs" to "can't get us over the hump," or "can't win in the playoffs."

I like both Dak and Jackson but neither has proven they can get it done during the postseason.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Let’s be honest, he’s not getting it done when it counts. He’s 1-3 in the playoffs with 13 points scored per game. That’s downright awful to be honest. There’s people who would say Cam didn’t get it done and he was 3-4 in the playoffs and even with the SB and that SF game where we couldn’t score at the goal line, Cam’s averaged 24 points per game.

Jackson is a good QB but he’s trending the wrong way lately and his playoff record and performance has been pretty poor so far. He’s got to turn that around or he won’t be considered anywhere near elite.

We've got no room to judge though with the worst starting QB in the league. I'd take Lamar in an instant.

*IF* the Panthers are bound and determined to select a QB at #6, it should be Willis.  He’s the best prospect available in this draft.

That being said, Willis is a 2nd rounder in any a normal depth QB draft and maybe even lower in a DEEP depth QB draft. (And I say this as an Auburn fan who has always liked Willis, even when he (rightly) transferred away from Auburn).

So the question is, do the Panther’s powers-that-be decide to overspend on that choice? (And any other QB at #6 is overspending even worse.)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1