• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Walker vs Malik Willis

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

On a different note… things could come full circle…

Malik Willis played on Cam’s 7v7 team, went to Auburn, transferred to Liberty and played for Hugh Freeze and now has a chance to be selected by the Panthers and play for Matt Rhule… Charlie Brewer was recruited by Matt Rhule and went to Baylor, after Rhule left, Brewer transferred to Utah before ultimately transferring again to… Hugh Freeze and Liberty (where he’s expected to start this year). And who did Matt Rhule lose to in his first game as head coach of Baylor… Liberty (Turner Gill was the head coach at the time).

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Both come from small schools

Similar Height 5 11" 1/4 vs 6' 0 1/2"

TD to Int final season 22 TD 13 ints vs 29 TD 12 ints

Passing Yds 3295 vs 2857.

Inaccurate passer check both QBs.

Why draft a guy when we already have a similar skill set on the team. 

Get off the Willis hype train we don't need another 3rd string back-up QB. 

Willis has the makeup of bust for sure. Do not want. 

15 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Bro.. news flash.. the age of the pure pocket passer is over... go look at the top qbs in the league most of them have some kind of movement ability. And having the ability to run doesn't mean that's all you can do. Having more ways to attack a problem is always better than oh I hope this happens.. 

Every top qb draft in the last I would say 8 years has run atleast a 4.7 or so... the college ranks just aren't pumping out Tom Bradys or Payton mannings anymore. You have the occasional Mac Jones but it's now the outliner instead of the main show. Pocket passers also fail at the next level so it's not just because a guy can run he won't be successful.

Why do pocket passers keep winning the super bowl year after year then? 🤔

Honestly, I think Willis has a significant physical advantage over PJ in every category. I think he's significantly faster, significantly stronger, and has a significant better arm. I mean, if we're talking about comparing the two. Hence why Willis is considered a 1st round prospect while PJ wasn't even a priority UDFA.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, I think Willis has a significant physical advantage over PJ in every category. I think he's significantly faster, significantly stronger, and has a significant better arm. I mean, if we're talking about comparing the two. Hence why Willis is considered a 1st round prospect while PJ wasn't even a priority UDFA.

I think playing QB today is about 65% mental.  Where the physical traits are becoming more significant, the mental aspects of the game must be elite.  A strong arm with average to poor accuracy is not as impressive as a QB with an average arm who throws dimes.  A QB that can run is not as important as a QB who can read defenses.  With Willis, as with the rest of the QBs--you can't get too caught up in one or two aspects of his game--you have to look at the entire package.  To me, his accuracy is not great and his ability to read a defense at this point has to be in question--like Howell, like Corral. 

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think playing QB today is about 65% mental.  Where the physical traits are becoming more significant, the mental aspects of the game must be elite.  A strong arm with average to poor accuracy is not as impressive as a QB with an average arm who throws dimes.  A QB that can run is not as important as a QB who can read defenses.  With Willis, as with the rest of the QBs--you can't get too caught up in one or two aspects of his game--you have to look at the entire package.  To me, his accuracy is not great and his ability to read a defense at this point has to be in question--like Howell, like Corral. 

Honestly, I kinda think the modern NFL offense tips the scales more toward physical ability and a little bit away from the mental side. Not that the mental side isn't vital (Sam Darnold being Exhibit 1A), but today's spread formations with more options available makes the defenses tip their hand a bit more than in the past and creates more obvious mismatches. Just my opinion. I can see it either way.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree somewhat. Willis is definitely faster.  I Think PJ has a big arm too. Nether are super consistent with accuracy. Their tape to me looks similar though. On tape at Liberty Willis seemed a man among boys sometimes- but not always. PJ looked that way sometimes in the XFL. Against NFL competition PJ just doesn't seem to belong (like most UDFA's). I'm not sure Willis will look much better against NFL defenses. We will see.

Willis is not special to me. He’s unsure of himself even with throws that he completes. He doesn’t throw guys open. He throws to his first read if they are open and then tries to run. His game against his only real competition he looked like an average athlete (Ole Miss). He’s somewhat reminiscent of Cam coming out in his inability to anticipate. The difference is that Cam was 5” taller, 35lbs heavier, and probably faster than Willis. 

Malik Willis doesn’t have Watson’s elite college production to back him up. He doesn’t have his throws or his comebacks in tight situations. He doesn’t have wins over Saban. I’m not a huge Lamar Jackson fan but he isn’t as athletic as Lamar. He isn’t as big as Allen or Newton. 

I don’t get the love affair with him? His arm is strong?? How many times have we seen that end really really badly when that’s the big draw? 

The best comparison for Willis imo is Tarvaris Jackson. Same size. Both good but not elite athletes. Big arms. Not a ton of elite college production to back up the skill set. It’s all going to be about how he gets developed and in a league wher you’re kinda expected to come in and be elite by year 2….I just don’t see it happening. Cam wasn’t elite as a thrower by year two but he was unstoppable as a runner. 

• Pie 1