• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Charlotte Observer reports "there's a strong chance" QB Sam Darnold will be the Panthers' Week 1 starter.

TheSpecialJuan

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Good, it's going to go either one of two ways:

1) he's going to start the year and hand the reigns over to a younger dude

or

2) he somehow finds what he's been missing and becomes a winner here.

Either way, it's probably the best thing we can do right now. Use that first round draft pick on getting the best o-lineman available and develop something that works.  If Darnold doesn't work out at all, we'll get a back up some experience (we need to pick someone like Zappe up in the late rounds) and we can wade into the next draft with a high pick, new leadership and a much better pool of QBs.

And if Darnold somehow makes the connection and plays lights out? Well, we can go back and say it was a great move back in the day and pat ourselves on the back like we knew it all along. 

Everyone wins.

If we pick a QB in the first round, chances aren't good for his getting a winning season here right out of the gates. Rhule will probably be fired after our fifth loss and the new HC will come in and be saddled with a QB that doesn't fit his needs, was drafted too high and has been badly coached. That's a recipe for misery stew.

Sideshow Darnold.

Got his check and got fat?

17 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

I don't know if Darnold can be salvaged but what I do know is that we are stuck paying him 18 million this year with what looks to be a lame duck HC. It doesn't seem so bad to fix the Oline and improve the overall talent of the team while we ride out the last year of Rhule. I personally want us to take Willis. I like his attitude and his top tier arm and athleticism I think he has that "it" factor and if he can be developed, he's going to be special. However, I do understand the argument for just letting this year go and allowing a new staff handpick a QB in what looks to be a loaded class next year. 

That's basically where we are with Tepper's Panthers. Already looking at the season after this one because it looks hopeless.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

I don't know if Darnold can be salvaged 

I do. He can't be. He's not going to magically learn how to read a defense in his fifth NFL season. Darnold's success is entirely reliant on his first read being open. When it is, he looks damn good. He can throw a beautiful ball. Disaster strikes when his first read is covered AND he has time to go through his progression instead of being forced to go to his check down due to pressure - you know. Unfortunately, in a functioning offense that's most of your snaps.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

I don't really care if Darnold can be salvaged or not. What I do care about is the future of this team. I don't want us to reach for a QB who isn't it, costing us a draftpick, that would most likely shore up one of the most important positions for years to come.

I don't like the idea of trading away valuable picks to get a QB either.

If we take a QB in the later rounds/trade a late round pick I am all for it. Let's just not hipfire. Next year looks a lot more promising.

Let Rhule and Darnold play it out together. If they manage to improve, fine. If not they will be gone next year and we have a new potential franchise player on our team.

Just to bad for the rest of our young talent. A wasted year.

2 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

I don't really care if Darnold can be salvaged or not. What I do care about is the future of this team. I don't want us to reach for a QB who isn't it, costing us a draftpick, that would most likely shore up one of the most important positions for years to come.

I don't like the idea of trading away valuable picks to get a QB either.

If we take a QB in the later rounds/trade a late round pick I am all for it. Let's just not hipfire. Next year looks a lot more promising.

Let Rhule and Darnold play it out together. If they manage to improve, fine. If not they will be gone next year and we have a new potential franchise player on our team.

Just to bad for the rest of our young talent. A wasted year.

Imagine all these takes in retrospect if we take a LT that busts and leave a guy on the board who becomes a franchise QB. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95292dd39f71e88c0927

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Stupidest. Team. Ever.

Fuggin morons 

yeah, despite the attempt to move the goalpost in this thread, the point here is that there are actually people in the building, presumably influential people, who are still deluded enough to believe Sam darnold can be a great nfl QB (or worse, a “really competent guy who can execute the offense.”)

those people should be removed 

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2