• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Child Support

fitty76

IMHO, if you split custody 50/50 (was that court ordered?) then you should both be in charge of supporting your kid yourself. If she had sole custody and you only had visitation, yes you'd owe her support. But if you are both equally taking care of the child, then I don't see why you're giving her money at all. If the roles were reversed and you made a lot more money than her, no one in their right mind would expect her to give you money. Speak to a lawyer if it's a financial issue for you. If not, keep paying.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, Shocker said:

250$ is like nothing for child support.  Don’t be a deadbeat…pay her this tiny amount and stop complaining about it

Wow. He's not being a deadbeat. When he has 50% custody, everything he does for his child comes out of his own pocket. Just as everything she does should come out of her pocket. Why is she getting extra money when they split custody equally?

3 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

IMHO, if you split custody 50/50 (was that court ordered?) then you should both be in charge of supporting your kid yourself. If she had sole custody and you only had visitation, yes you'd owe her support. But if you are both equally taking care of the child, then I don't see why you're giving her money at all. If the roles were reversed and you made a lot more money than her, no one in their right mind would expect her to give you money. Speak to a lawyer if it's a financial issue for you. If not, keep paying.

He said The 250 is specifically for health insurance and medication.  Do you think the child only uses the medication when with the mom and can't get hurt or sick when in his care? 

I'd talk to a lawyer.   If what you say is true about your income vs hers, you might find that you don't have to pay shiz.

There's this misconception that the father always has to pay the mother, and in most cases that holds true. However, the idea of child support is so that the children don't have a drastically different life in one house vs the other.  Talk to a lawyer my boy.  Good luck with it all either way.

You could also take a look at the child support worksheets.  I imagine that was already mentioned here, but I didn't read all the comments.

On 4/10/2022 at 4:27 PM, toldozer said:

He said The 250 is specifically for health insurance and medication.  Do you think the child only uses the medication when with the mom and can't get hurt or sick when in his care? 

You know, as much as I raised a ruckus earlier, I also completely missed this part - My apologies and I agree. Since this is directly towards half of the insurance cost, then yes, there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't be paid to her.