• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Who the hell is this kid?"

Mr. Scot

The videos of Luke from the NFL Top 100 are a lot of fun to watch.

The comments from opponents crack me up 😆

Pretty sure all of us have seen some of those moments when Luke went apesh-t before a play started because he saw something he recognized from film.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I put my hands up in disbelief that we picked a linebacker in 2012. We had TD and Beason, there was no reason for us to pick Luke how-do-you-pronounce-his-name? We've spent a first rounder 3 times within the last decade. We just got off a rough season, but Cam showed promise winning OROY. Smitty was past his prime and we needed another weapon to help alleviate Smash & Dash. Drew Brees was lighting us and everyone else up that year and we had to keep up surely. Again, how do you pronounce this dude's name?

Man, was I just oblivious that we selected hands down a truly generational player. Luke was and still is a different breed. I may have cried a bit when I was out to dinner and saw across the screen that Luke retired. fug.. Anyways that's my rant.

I suspect a lot of us have similar stories from his draft day.

Likewise, stories of being completely floored when the news broke that he was retiring.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Proehl: I’ll never forget the day we drafted him. There were a bunch of guys on the defensive staff who wanted Coples. They’re like, “Who is this small, White linebacker we just (drafted)?” I said: “I’m telling you, this guy’s pretty special. He’s a ball hawk.” It’s so funny to look back now. I laugh. I think about that all the time.

This one was cool to read.  I met Proehl in Myrtle Beach a few years back, he was giving some speech or something at a convention.  Was able to ask him some stuff and he specifically mentioned Jon Beason being pretty upset with Luke’s drafting.  After Beason got hurt again and Luke starting playing MLB, Thomas Davis was telling Beason the kid was the real deal.  “Glad we picked Luke instead Coples” is the understatement of the decade 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

20 minutes ago, stirs said:

Hurney after seeing one pass completion video of Clausen    "turn off the tape, that is all I need to see"

So Hurney to say those words as well...turn it off, I've seen enough...

LOL, like he was ever a film guy anyway.  Couldn't scout for poo.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Luke is the best player to ever play for the Panthers and in my opinion a top 5 all time defensive player league wide. Absolute stud, should be first ballot HoF easy, even with his relatively short career. Thanks for sharing these parts of the article Scot, enjoyed reading it.

I agree with this.

He was, IMO the very best Panther player that we have had (in their prime).

There have been some great ones, and a few flashes in the pan, but Luke was the best player on the field almost every single time he was out there.  That's wild.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Great post…thanks.  The biggest complement I can give Luke is that the way he dominated and could read the opposing offense like a book was incredibly impressive.  When he wasn’t there it was immediately apparent how difficult any of these other guys find it to be that guy.  Impossible.  Luke is an all time great IMO.

BTW: I remember Hurney actually wanted Mark Barron but he went before us.  Thankfully 

Edited by Shocker

I remember saying who!??? But again I was like maybe they know something I don’t!! Seen some highlights on draft night.. I was like interesting!! Wasn’t to sure but wasn’t angry like we traded back up for Otah!! I was like what.. he was such a disappointment!! Will be interesting this year.. hope we don’t over reach on QB.. and get a great skill player.. or trade back if possible 

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The rest of the NFL strongly disagrees.

This is a QB league. Its all about QB, weapons for the QB, protecting the QB, and impacting the QB on D.

Why then have only 13 of the last 48 SB teams been able to break 30 points scored?  Let me know when there are QBs putting up 30+ points on the regular in championship games. 2 of the last 3 QBs who won championship shootouts are not even starting in the NFL.

25 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Why then have only 13 of the last 48 SB teams been able to break 30 points scored?  Let me know when there are QBs putting up 30+ points on the regular in championship games. 2 of the last 3 QBs who won championship shootouts are not even starting in the NFL.

Let me know when the any of the top 10 paid players in the NFL aren't QBs.