• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have talked to numerous teams about moving back from #6

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's odd to me how everyone can easily point out the weaknesses of the QB prospects while ignoring the weaknesses of the OT prospects. The football player on the field has never matched the athlete in the gym for Neal. Ekwonu is a better run blocker than pass protector and that's a big concern for a LT. He's also built more like an OG than an OT at 6'4" 310. Cross is another guy who's a bit undersized at a shade over 300 pounds with significant questions about his physicality at the NFL level.

I'm just not buying into this draft narrative that this OT class is special and the QB class is trash. It doesn't add up.

I'm looking at it like this. OT class might be overrated a bit and QB class might be underrated a bit.

Even with that said, OT class >> QB class. 

LT at 6 is a better idea than QB at 6.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm looking at it like this. OT class might be overrated a bit and QB class might be underrated a bit.

Even with that said, OT class >> QB class. 

LT at 6 is a better idea than QB at 6.

Overall I would agree. I'm firmly on team trade down though. Especially with a potential answer at LT already on the roster.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's odd to me how everyone can easily point out the weaknesses of the QB prospects while ignoring the weaknesses of the OT prospects. The football player on the field has never matched the athlete in the gym for Neal. Ekwonu is a better run blocker than pass protector and that's a big concern for a LT. He's also built more like an OG than an OT at 6'4" 310. Cross is another guy who's a bit undersized at a shade over 300 pounds with significant questions about his physicality at the NFL level.

I'm just not buying into this draft narrative that this OT class is special and the QB class is trash. It doesn't add up.

It actually does add up. You aren't using the right math.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It actually does add up. You aren't using the right math.

😂

You gotta ignore a lot of glaring weaknesses in the OT prospects. I honestly think the QB class is a little below average and the OT class is a little above average. Neither are exceptional either way.

You gotta wear your optimist glasses for the OTs and your pessimist glasses for the QBs to buy the narrative.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

This will be another Herbert moment for you. Literally watch BC play.

It might play out that way but the narrative of these prospects as prospects is skewed significantly. Herbert ended up being the 3rd QB prospect taken. The NFL whiffed on that evaluation too. He absolutely goes 2nd overall if that class was redrafted. I doubt the Bengals would give up Burrow for him and that's understandable.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

😂

You gotta ignore a lot of glaring weaknesses in the OT prospects. I honestly think the QB class is a little below average and the OT class is a little above average. Neither are exceptional either way.

The weaknesses in the OT's pale in comparison to the weaknesses in the QB's. Of the guys that could even have reasonable hope of potentially being successful(Pickett, Willis, Corral) the path to get their either has a pretty limited ceiling or a LOT of development needed.

Versus the OT's which largely need refinement or bulking up(Cross specifically). 

This isn't really even a fair discussion when you compare the top 6 at each of these positions. The QB class is just SAS. The DE class is leaps and bounds better than this QB class through 6 players, for that matter.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

The weaknesses in the OT's pale in comparison to the weaknesses in the QB's. Of the guys that could even have reasonable hope of potentially being successful(Pickett, Willis, Corral) the path to get their either has a pretty limited ceiling or a LOT of development needed.

Versus the OT's which largely need refinement or bulking up(Cross specifically). 

This isn't really even a fair discussion when you compare the top 6 at each of these positions. The QB class is just SAS. The DE class is leaps and bounds better than this QB class through 6 players, for that matter.

I just think everything gets exaggerated leading up to the draft. A bit below average QB draft class on the hella of a QB draft class that was considered all-time type great and it gets spun as the worst group of QBs in the history of the sport. Three really good but still flawed OT prospects and it gets spun as the greatest OT class ever.

It's all hyperbole and everyone is going to act shocked when 4-5 QBs go in the 1st.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It might play out that way but the narrative of these prospects as prospects is skewed significantly. Herbert ended up being the 3rd QB prospect taken. The NFL whiffed on that evaluation too. He absolutely goes 2nd overall if that class was redrafted. I doubt the Bengals would give up Burrow for him and that's understandable.

The NFL whiffed on the 6th overall pick?

Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

That is an odd way to say one team whiffed on a pick. One team amongst the worst 6 teams. 

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Overall I would agree. I'm firmly on team trade down though. Especially with a potential answer at LT already on the roster.

The problem is I don't trust BC because I don't trust Rhule's opinion. Rhule was on the fence and never sure and the ONLY reason they drafted him was desperation. They fugged up and got to that point without addressing LT so they scrambled and got the only possibility left at that point and the fact they say him for so long and did whatever they could be to avoid using him at LT because they had buyers remorse. 

No QB is going to be successful here until they get that OL fixed. Anyone they draft, they are setting up for failure. There's no point in getting a QB without having at least an LT in place and I don't trust them to ever fix it if they don't do it this year. They fix it this year or they won't. 

I do think the best option is trading back. Only thing that #6 should be used for if they don't trade back is on an LT. If they use that spot to draft anything by else, they are fugged.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just think everything gets exaggerated leading up to the draft. A bit below average QB draft class on the hella of a QB draft class that was considered all-time type great and it gets spun as the worst group of QBs in the history of the sport. Three really good but still flawed OT prospects and it gets spun as the greatest OT class ever.

It's all hyperbole and everyone is going to act shocked when 4-5 QBs go in the 1st.

A bit below average?

This post isn't going to age well.