• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is the impetus for the “Keep Pounding” pushaway?

davos

52 minutes ago, Varking said:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think a tradition that has lead to zero back to back winning seasons is something to stress over. 

Honestly, I can appreciate that. 

In some ways, as it pertains to the Panthers, and really American culture--if not the many stressful things that are plaguing our world in general--I'm just wary. I'm to the point now, right or wrong and with some mixed feelings, that I just feel that people are gonna do what people are gonna do. 

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, MechaZain said:

The soccer team owner probably wants our crowds like those, or at least closer to Seattle or Pittsburgh. If Keep Pounding is so important to our culture why have we been complaining the stadium being full of unethusiastic wine & cheese fans all this time. 

The stadium is full of opposing team fans thanks to the owner hiring Rhule and the disaster that has followed 

PSL owners are not going to pay for tickets, parking, gas, lodging,  food, and the time investment for a pro team that can’t get a first down or score a TD 

if we wanted that, we could go watch pee wee football on Saturdays for no cost and a lot more purity 

also non PSL panthers fans won’t buy  individual seats for the same reason 

but opposing fans will buy, particularly those that can’t see their teams any other way 

So, there may be ‘wine and cheese’ fans at the stadium but they aren’t Panthers fans and if they are, I assure their numbers are few 

other than perhaps his ego, Tepper doesn’t care.  His seats are sold thanks to 4 year, 6 year, or 8 year PSL agreements 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, Khyber53 said:

Mills, not Darnold, you dolt.

Well excuse me for not knowing that. 

I thought you were being sarcastic, considering Sam's loony-tunes podcast comments.

Plus, as a NEW FAN HERE (in case you forgot), I might not be familiar with past great Panthers players, you know?

But that's fine.  Insult me all you want.

I've been called worse than a "dolt", anyway.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:07 AM, Varking said:

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t think a tradition that has lead to zero back to back winning seasons is something to stress over. 

If we were winning instead of actually being in the worst losing stretch in Panthers history then I might agree. I might still not like it, but I could understand. But, you cannot install new traditions while losing. It's tone deaf, it's ineffective, and it's laughable. Oh wait... come to think of it, that would actually be very on brand for David Tepper's Panthers.

• Pie 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, top dawg said:

This is Tepper's team, and he has let everyone know it by his actions. He has no allegiance to Sam Mills' saying. He wants to put his brand on the team.

Well, this was his image back in the late seventies....Hope he's not thinking of bring it back (Nice Jewfro by the way):

image.jpeg.72179170c94ff704f454d9b6a0ba4785.jpeg

Edited by Richard Cranium 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we were winning instead of actually being in the worst losing stretch in Panthers history then I might agree. I might still not like it, but I could understand. But, you cannot install new traditions while losing. It's tone deaf, it's ineffective, and it's laughable. Oh wait... come to think of it, that would actually be very on brand for David Tepper's Panthers.

Oh I didn’t think we had anything to replace it yet. I just thought we were done with “Keep Pounding” because the only thing we pound is the bottom of the standings under Rhule. And even before him a lot, I guess. 

• Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mascot account.  As the OP, I hope more is reflected in the games.  It's not some made up drama. 

But this is great that it's part of the org's outreach.  Won't discount the continuation and importance that it is to good causes.  

maybe it's not about getting rid of the mantra specifically, but that it's something that's not recognized for what it means outside of the team/fanbase.  How often do we hear it have to be explained on broadcasts when it comes up?

Nobody has to explain "go pack go" or "j e t s jets jets jets" as a crowd chant.

Maybe its that the phrase doesn't sound menacing when heard en masse. Could be that "pounding" is one too many syllables to yell loudly.   (counterpoint:  "TAMPA" is two syllables, but the letter structure has harder sounds vs the softer ones in "POUNDING")      Would be curious to hear a speech and language expert's opinion on this thought.

All this is to say that it's possible that it's not trying to sweep Keep Pounding under the rug, but that from a crowd chant viewpoint, they may be looking for something more desirable that merely *sounds* better in the stadium.

• Pie 1

Or, as was just shared above ---  maybe it's being retired as part of the Game experience but is being kept as the Community/Outreach/Charity side.

Would be similar, I suppose, to how McDonald's has basically retired Ronald McDonald and the McDonaldland characters to solely represent the Ronald McDonald House charities and not the restaurant, happy meals, generic marketing, and food offerings.

2 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Or, as was just shared above ---  maybe it's being retired as part of the Game experience but is being kept as the Community/Outreach/Charity side.

Would be similar, I suppose, to how McDonald's has basically retired Ronald McDonald and the McDonaldland characters to solely represent the Ronald McDonald House charities and not the restaurant, happy meals, generic marketing, and food offerings.

Well, that game day experience right now, is pretty bad 

I can’t tell you the world of difference from 2019 to 2021 

…Hope for improvement this year given the cost of gas and the rest 

nfl level coaches should help them at least look like a pro team, you know, capable of more than one first Down or touchdowns 

we have reached the level where ben McAdoo is our savior. Think about that