• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ian Rapoport: Carolina Panthers seem to be the most likely spot for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I think if that would have been offered the Panther would have done it. It's not like the idea for Baker for Darnold is some new concept. 

True but I think the browns are gonna be more and more desperate as time goes on. 

They probably can't have baker in their locker room any more without distraction or problems and don't seem to have many trade options.  They owe him the full salary if they cut him and then he could go to Pittsburgh or somewhere else that cleveland wouldn't like.

(It would be nice for a trade partner to be the desperate ones rather than us)

Edited by w280sax
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, w280sax said:

True but I think the browns are gonna be more and more desperate as time goes on. 

They probably can't have baker in their locker room any more without distraction or problems and don't seem to have many trade options.  They owe him the full salary if they cut him and then he could go to Pittsburgh or somewhere else that cleveland wouldn't like.

Sure, what I'm saying is they are making the Panthers out to be the dummies here "what? Matt Corral or Baker, give me the 18m and Baker," when if you look at it strategically Carolina has no reason whatsoever to pay Mayfield extra money.

Edited by Jaxel
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jaxel said:

Sure, what I'm saying is they are making the Panther out to be the dummies here "what? Matt Corral or Baker, give me the 18m and Baker," when if you look at it strategically Carolina has no reason whatsoever to pay Mayfield extra money.

Agreed on that point.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

One step forward 2 steps back

lol hopefully it's a rumor or a very cheap deal for Foles to start the season and develop Corral until he is ready.  I'm leaning towards just rolling with Corral and letting him develop with the team.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

lol hopefully it's a rumor or a very cheap deal for Foles to start the season and develop Corral until he is ready.  I'm leaning towards just rolling with Corral and letting him develop with the team.

I dont see how that isnt a possibility if he learns the offense.  Its imperative to get a good look at MC this season.  We are going to be a really bad team no matter the qb so lets just see what he has.  I doubt its going to set him back

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I dont see how that isnt a possibility if he learns the offense.  Its imperative to get a good look at MC this season.  We are going to be a really bad team no matter the qb so lets just see what he has.  I doubt its going to set him back

IF (and I mean this is a HUGE IF) Corral plays most of the seasons and shows some flashes/progression to look the part of our next franchise guy we could be in a spot to crush a team in a trade next year for a QB in the draft.  We definitely need to get a good look at him, but after seeing out staff get Icky with BC getting limited playing time, I am a little more confident that we won't pass on a top talent if Corral is still a question mark.  

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'd put that one under the "anything can happen" category.

(or under the "monkeys might fly out of my butt" category, whichever you prefer)

Yeah it's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jaxel said:

When if you look at it strategically Carolina has no reason whatsoever to pay Mayfield extra money.

Yup.

Sounds like the Browns also thought the Panthers would be desperate enough to pay a good chuck of the salary. They got greedy and instead lost the trade and a good deal of leverage (they won't have the Panthers as the other team).

The Browns are basically stuck waiting and "hoping" a QB vacancy happens via injury or suspension. I don't think they'll cut him unless they need the roster spot. In their minds they probably assume they can get at least a comp pick out of him; Mariotta and Trubisky were roughly worth 5th/6th rounders this year in terms of comp picks.

Edited by Evil Hurney

wasn’t there a report saying the only issue was browns paying some of his salary? i mean if they just want to offload him for a 5th and will pay a lot of his salary, what’s the harm? could’ve rolled over 10 m for 4 weeks of worthless Cam last year just the same. and he will just add competition. he can be dumped next year too.

lastly, i don’t know the rules but isn’t there a limit to rollovers in a certain time frame and also dependent on the spending on the league as a whole?

i see no negatives in that scenario tbh but i also don’t see a lot of wiggle room outside of those requirements because he/the risk isn’t worth it. he’d also want to come here which I don’t think he does and there is no point in forcing it just because.

same goes for jimmy G. 

As far as Foles i see zero upside unless it’s for a bag of corn nuts…and only ranch flavor.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd put that one under the "anything can happen" category.

(or under the "monkeys might fly out of my butt" category, whichever you prefer)

Yeah it's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

I think if the price is right, is is very likely, as I think one of those guys is Sam's replacement.  I'm starting to wonder if Sam makes it to the final 53.  If we need a vet to mentor/place hold until Corral is ready, I don't even trust Sam to do that.

I think we're holding out, as I think the Browns are eventually going to have to release Mayfield outright.

• Pie 1