• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

17 minutes ago, Centerfield said:

Panthers GM Scott Fitterer: Cam Newton's return 'in his hands'

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/01/panthers-gm-scott-fitterer-cam-newtons-return-free-agency/

I take this as Cam has an offer from us. If we take Cross, Cam says alright I'll sign. You can't have James Campen and not Cam Newton

With Cam’s latest debacle, I don’t think that offer is sitting there anymore 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Are we gonna pretend we didn't desperately pursue an accused serial sexual predator for over a year?

Not sure what that has to do with the Cam situation. It’s bad timing for him to go on video and speak about women the way he did. 

if Can was MVP caliber talent, then the contract would probably be on the table. However, it’s bad press for a sub par valued player.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Not sure what that has to do with the Cam situation. It’s bad timing for him to go on video and speak about women the way he did. 

if Can was MVP caliber talent, then the contract would probably be on the table. However, it’s bad press for a sub par valued player.

Cam said something that's not PC. Watson is accused of a dozen cases of sexual misconduct. We can't fall all over ourselves to trade the franchise for an accused serial sexual predator then pull an offer for Cam because of some non-PC comments. 

• Pie 3

Baker is NOT elite ... but he's better than Sam, PJ, an unhealthy JG, Cam, Willis, Pickett, Corall, the Nevada statue, and the Huddle's love fest Minshew. He could give us 9 wins.

But him being an a-hole d-bag? Uh ... Brady, A-Rod, Cam, Jameis, Big Ben, Watson, Favre, Rivers, Vick, Namath, Kaep, McNabb, and Jay Cutler all have had their moments. Just win, baby?

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

With Cam’s latest debacle, I don’t think that offer is sitting there anymore 

What the heck did Cam day or do? I haven't heard a thing about it if he did anything.

EDIT: Oh nevermind I just read it. His comments were really not all so terrible as they were made out to be. He was just talking trash with some guys on a podcast. How many of us males in the world have not talked some crap just like that to their buddies.

Edited by YourLastThought

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

If they were to do a straight Darnold/Mayfield trade I think it'd have us including at least a 4th rounder or average player to give them some incentive to fill out the paperwork if they're gonna cut whichever QB anyway. Jacoby is getting his $4.5M and knows he'll get to start the first handful of games so I doubt they want any extra drama going into OTA's/training Camp with one of these 2018 busts hangin around 

They don't want cut Baker because then Baker could go to Pittsburgh. In that scenario, he might beat out Trubisky. Cleveland would have to face him twice a year.

It's one thing for Baker to recover and do well with a team in another conference. It's another thing if he's balling out for one of your biggest rivals.

I don't think Cleveland would care if Darnold signed with Pittsburgh after they cut him.

• Beer 1

Honesty, as long as the compensation isn’t too much, 4th or later next year, I’m good with it. He’s our best option right now, I like his attitude, he can play when he’s not injured. He’s no star but he’s young and better than Darnold ever was, more potential too.  

The Baker situation doesn’t seem as bad as other failed QBs we tried in Carolina. Baker would still be a Brown except they had an extremely rare opportunity to acquire a top young QB in the league. He just helped the Browns get into the playoffs 2 years ago when he was healthy. 
The Niners traded 3 firsts to draft an unknown in Lance because they knew QB was their weakness. Trading for a proven top young QB that you didn’t think you had a chance to acquire until the last minute doesn’t really make Baker a true “castoff” like Jimmy G, Darnold, and Teddy IMO. 

• Beer 1