• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers have the inside track to trade for Baker Mayfield

TheSpecialJuan

13 hours ago, joemac said:

No….did you miss the whole “if he puts up 4000 yards and 30 TDs” part? And the answer is hell yes. What more do you want out of a QB than that? 

It depends on if that production translates to wins or whether it’s garbage time. For example, Blake Bortles threw for nearly 4,500 yards and 35 TDS, but they only won five games and most of his production came in garbage time. 

The main thing we need is a quarterback that can lead us to a winning record. Some QBs that achieve that are more prolific than others. It would be nice to have a Pat Mahomes, but if it’s more 4k and 20 TDs so be it.

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

The very reason I DON'T want a competitive season this year...Darnold AND Rhule will hopefully be gone in 2023.  I could deal with free Sunday's this fall knowing the following year Panthers football will be worth watching again. 

Depends on who we hire. Our owner and front office thought Rhule was a good idea. I’ll be honest. I’m not convinced I have a great deal of faith in them making a better decision second time round. We could get someone equally inept or worse! 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Mike2.0 said:

Depends on who we hire. Our owner and front office thought Rhule was a good idea. I’ll be honest. I’m not convinced I have a great deal of faith in them making a better decision second time round. We could get someone equally inept or worse

Lol, how?  I know Urban Myer is available, but come on...  It really can't get worse than Rhule.  He's the floor, it can only go up for this franchise once he's gone.

We simply cannot use pick 6 for a qb. No one in this class is worthy of that pick. Will one or more of them become NFL starters? Sure. Maybe one or two but it is a crap shoot of who that will be.  We can simply sit back and telegraph the idea that we are going to take a qb at six knowing the pick is OT and let others sweat. Let's see what the Browns want to do when it looks like they will cut him, eat his salary, and let him go to Steelers.  They will NOT let that happen because it will make them look really bad.  We can get a really good deal for Baker if we are patient. If we miss out? Who cares.  Take the OT and be ready to find a qb next year.  

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Lol, how?  I know Urban Myer is available, but come on...  It really can't get worse than Rhule.  He's the floor, it can only go up for this franchise once he's gone.

We’ve gone 5-11 and 5-12, we could always win less games… 

The Browns are a perfect example of ineptitude and the next guy up not doing better. They replaced Crennel with Mangini, Mangini with Shurmur, Shurmur with Chudzinski, then Pettine with Jackson.

What about the Buccaneers? Four failed attempts to replace Gruden, then they hit on Arians and luckily Brady came to town. 

Maybe Rhule is the floor and we won’t get worse, but I wouldn’t bet against it if we make another poor hire influenced by the owner.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Wes21 said:

I would love to say its just a silly rumor.  But any staff dumb enough to trade a premium pick for Sam Darnold is dumb enough to trade for Baker Mayfield.

Yep.  And Baker is going to command a bigger check than Sam too. 

Timing is a factor here...

Rap Sheet thanks the Panthers are his most likely destination if he's traded before the draft.

Based on what we know right now, I don't really think the Panthers are going to sign or trade for anybody major before the draft happens.

If they don't and they take a tackle at #6, then Mayfield becomes an option. So does Garoppolo.

But Rapoport's opinion is that if Mayfield isn't traded before the draft, he might have to wait a long time before anything happens.

Cleveland almost HAS to eat Baker's contract (or a substantial portion of it) if he's not traded by the draft.  If the Seahawks take a QB/stick with Locke and we draft a QB or say we're rolling with Sam, the Browns are in a situation of losing their butts in a late offseason trade or taking a complete loss in cutting Mayfield.

I think he'll be a Panther, but not by the draft, and we get him for a reasonable package...say a day 3 pick and less than half his 2022 salary.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Timing is a factor here...

Rap Sheet thanks the Panthers are his most likely destination if he's traded before the draft.

Based on what we know right now, I don't really think the Panthers are going to sign or trade for anybody major before the draft happens.

If they don't and they take a tackle at #6, then Mayfield becomes an option. So does Garoppolo.

But Rapoport's opinion is that if Mayfield isn't traded before the draft, he might have to wait a long time before anything happens.

Complete clusterfug

• Pie 1

Just now, 45catfan said:

A deal before the draft lets Cleveland off the hook and loses the majority of the trade leverage.  Who'd be stupid enough to do such a thing?  Wait.......

I see it the other way around. A deal before the draft, Carolina has the leverage. We can't strike a deal, then we have the option to draft a QB. If the draft comes & goes, where we don't take a QB, then Cleveland can up the asking price because we have no other options.

I love how unpredictable this is. I have no idea what's going to happen. It's refreshing.

• Beer 1