• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comments from other GMs about the Panthers draft options

Mr. Scot

For his latest FMIA column, Peter King talk to a dozen GMs about this year's draft.

Here's what three of them had to say about the Panthers pick (and about GM Scott Fitterer).

ON CAROLINA WITH THE SIXTH OVERALL PICK

GM4: “[GM] Scott Fitterer is well-respected, and I feel bad for him. I’d hate to need a quarterback this year, with an owner all over you to find one, and have to draft one with this group. No one feels great about any of these guys. [Pitt’s Kenny] Pickett is probably the best one, and he’s a maybe.”

GM5: “There’s not a generational talent in this draft, and there’s certainly not one at quarterback. You get in trouble reaching for a quarterback. Somebody’s gonna reach for one because of need, maybe more than one, and then you put more pressure on the guy you pick because your fans expect a first-round quarterback to play.”

GM6: “I could actually see a scenario where if Carolina is focused on one guy at quarterback, they might have to move up a spot or two to make sure they get their guy. I say that because you look at the teams in the middle of the round. New Orleans might want to move up, and with two ones now [at 16 and 19], they’ve got the ammo to move up. Pittsburgh [at 20] has had all their people at all these quarterback workouts—Mike Tomlin, [GM] Kevin Colbert, scouts. I’ll be really surprised if they don’t take one, and if they’re fixed on one guy, they won’t be shy about moving up to get one. This is Colbert’s last year [as GM], and I’m sure he wants to leave the team with options at quarterback.”

Note about quarterbacks picked in the top six recently, and Carolina picking sixth overall: In the last 10 drafts, 18 quarterbacks have been picked in the top six. It’s too early to know about the three from 2021—Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance. Of the other 15 passers picked in the top six since 2012, two and maybe three appear to be long-term answers for their teams: Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and maybe Kyler Murray. Tua Tagovailoa might be one. But the others—Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones—are either long gone from the teams that drafted them or a long shot to be a 10-year starter there.

That’s a daunting thing, to pick a quarterback who’s not a sure thing with all the pressure to make it that has eaten alive some of the previous high picks.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Note about quarterbacks picked in the top six recently, and Carolina picking sixth overall: In the last 10 drafts, 18 quarterbacks have been picked in the top six. It’s too early to know about the three from 2021—Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance. Of the other 15 passers picked in the top six since 2012, two and maybe three appear to be long-term answers for their teams: Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and maybe Kyler Murray. Tua Tagovailoa might be one. But the others—Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Mitchell Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones—are either long gone from the teams that drafted them or a long shot to be a 10-year starter there.

lol.. this number goes the other direction if they include just first round. Since they chose "top 6" that leaves out:

Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Mac Jones

Also, the "maybe" on Tua and Kyler is such an interesting comment. 

So its a little confusing. If the Steelers are generally believed to be very good drafters, and Colbert is a good GM with a eye for talent. They are a team with QB need and people seem to have no problem with them moving up to grab their guy ( even past us ), but shake their heads at the Panthers getting their guy at #6. I feel like if those guys are looking at even one of these QBs as a legit 1st rounder they are willing to give up picks for....we should at least be willing to take that guy at #6. They do too much right in Pittsburgh.

Not that I'm endorsing getting a guy at #6, just that it's funny how it doesn't seem like a big deal to even move up and get a guy in the 1st for GM6 and GM5 says no guy is even worth the #6 pick but it would be a reach. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

So its a little confusing. If the Steelers are generally believed to be very good drafters, and Colbert is a good GM with a eye for talent. They are a team with QB need and people seem to have no problem with them moving up to grab their guy ( even past us ), but shake their heads at the Panthers getting their guy at #6. I feel like if those guys are looking at even one of these QBs as a legit 1st rounder they are willing to give up picks for....we should at least be willing to take that guy at #6. They do too much right in Pittsburgh.

Not that I'm endorsing getting a guy at #6, just that it's funny how it doesn't seem like a big deal to even move up and get a guy in the 1st for GM6 and GM5 says no guy is even worth the #6 pick but it would be a reach. 

I’d assume that would be for a development player like Willis. He can sit behind Mitch and slowly be developed into their franchise QB. Something we are not equipped to do…

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’d assume that would be for a development player like Willis. He can sit behind Mitch and slowly be developed into their franchise QB. Something we are not equipped to do…

I mean I know Darnold ain't it....but what has Mitch shown? 

Until Mitch proves himself up there,  I don't think Tribuisky and Rudolph and worlds better then Sam and Walker. They all stink. 

Edited by PanthersGTI

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

For his latest FMIA column, Peter King talk to a dozen GMs about this year's draft.

Here's what three of them had to say about the Panthers pick (and about GM Scott Fitterer).

ON CAROLINA WITH THE SIXTH OVERALL PICK

GM5: There’s not a generational talent in this draft, and there’s certainly not one at quarterback. You get in trouble reaching for a quarterback. Somebody’s gonna reach for one because of need, maybe more than one, and then you put more pressure on the guy you pick because your fans expect a first-round quarterback to play.”

Glad there aren't any generational talents.  Most qb's that are called generational talents end up not being as good as advertised.  

I bet about 31 of these GMs would have jumped to draft Watson, Jackson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Prescott, Wilson, etc. At 6. 

Point is who cares where you get them, you hit and your franchise is changed. No other position does that.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I bet about 31 of these GMs would have jumped to draft Watson, Jackson, Mahomes, Rodgers, Prescott, Wilson, etc. At 6. 

Point is who cares where you get them, you hit and your franchise is changed. No other position does that.

But they didn't. 

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

lol.. this number goes the other direction if they include just first round. Since they chose "top 6" that leaves out:

Patrick Mahomes
Josh Allen
Lamar Jackson
Mac Jones

Also, the "maybe" on Tua and Kyler is such an interesting comment. 

And what would those players (Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, and Jones) be ranked in this qb class? No. 1.  You don't take a qb at 6 in this draft.  At best, you trade back and take a Corral or Howell who might end of being a Mahomes or Allen.

• Beer 1