• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Borrego is out

bLACKpANTHER

21 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yup when no one wants to block or rebound and you have JT Thor/Kai wasting away on the bench it made no sense to me. Isiah Thomas is cool but you just drafted Bouknight in the 1st and proceeded to bench him basically the whole year. No "development" in moves like these

I think in that Hawks game Thomas got like 2-3 offensive rebounds in the first half. Out hustling Hornets players on the boards. Hurt my soul. 

26 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yup when no one wants to block or rebound and you have JT Thor/Kai wasting away on the bench it made no sense to me. Isiah Thomas is cool but you just drafted Bouknight in the 1st and proceeded to bench him basically the whole year. No "development" in moves like these

Yup.  Honestly, the lack of want to and creativity from JB is what always pissed me off.  I dont know how many teams I've watched in the playoffs run lineups with no one over 6'9" and thrive.  Teams do it all of the time...  and when we have guys like Thor and Kai riding the bench so Plumlee can go out there and be a dinosaur, there is absolutely no excuses for JB.  None.  Thor is an exciting young piece...  long, athletic, and super versatile, and nothing but a plus in playing him and speeding up his development.  Kai should have been playing for his athleticism and energy alone.  But, nope...  let's play ol Plumlee and get our ass beat the same way everytime.  And as you said, same with Bouknight.  As coveted of a pick as he was, you don't let that guy rot on the bench all year...  and he had moments when he played.  So, I'm with you - if anything, that is holding back development in favor of peaked, average players at this point.  Hell, Richards impressed me a whole hell of a lot more than anything Plumlee ever did, and yet, he barely cracked the rotation regularly.  

Again, I can't put into words just how happy I am that we finally made this move.  JB was holding us back.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

I'll eat my crow. I was wrong in thinking Mitch and MJ wouldn't fire him since he just signed the extension.

I’m sure he didn’t want to but he has worked really well with Mitch and obviously respects his opinions. MJ also lived this first hand as a player under Doug Collins and saw the change and improvements when moving to Phil Jackson.

The future is bright for the Hornets. Wish I could say the same about the Panthers

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

I'd take a flyer on Dave Joerger but we NEED a rim protector to go with him. He took Memphis from 24th to 2nd in defense and we don't need offensive help.

Use our two first round picks and trade up to draft Jalen Duren. Favorite prospect in this draft and looks like a perfect fit for this Hornets roster.

Posting what I posted somewhere else

Borrego lost the team. He had really strange rotations, subbing players in and out multiple times a quarter. He load managed players minutes in an elimination playin game. He made no adjustments, even saying after the elimination game they didn't do anything different they did the first time when they beat Atlanta. Kai and Bouknight came in and made some good plays, (Bouk in particular played well when Covid struck), but then didn't see the floor for the next 18 games in a row, even though they played very negative players like Oubre and Plumlee/Harrell in front of them. He played PJ at center for most of his career, then when finally forced to play him at the 4, PJ plays very well and looks like the player we drafted.

I also don't think this is a win-now move. I think the team will just respond better to a Sam Cassell/Adrian Griffin type or an established coach with playoff wins. Borrego is great at developing, but terrible at actual in game coaching, similar to Nash.

Also, it stings because the job was down to Udoka and Borrego and the team picked Borrego

Actually excited for this move. I think Charlotte has some talented players that will blossom with the right system and playing time.

• Pie 2

Some candidates to think about

Quin Snyder - will be highly sought after if he and the Jazz part ways, especially by Lakers
Sam Cassell - hot assistant rising up the ranks and apparently a good leader, but no HC experience
Jerry Stackhouse - took over a bad Vandy program and made them respectable, apparently a good leader
Juwan Howard - huge risk/reward
Mike D'Antoni - tends to flame out quickly but could be good here after always being in high profile stops
Mike Brown - I can't stand this guy but has coached good defenses
Frank Vogel - despite this season is known for defensive schemes
Phil Handy - darkhorse candidate in the mold of Borrego, player development, long time assistant
Kenny Atkinson - wouldn't mind him
David Fizdale - seems like an asshole
Jared Dudley - would be a shocker but is a very smart player and well liked
Adrian Griffin - would love this hire, Nurse lead assistant and the Raptors play hard
Alvin Gentry - no from me dawg
Mark Jackson - no thank you
Scott Brooks - no
Steve Clifford - lol
Dave Joerger - wouldn't mind one bit
Terry Stotts - possible but would prefer other candidates

There are only going to a few openings this offseason (Kings, Lakers are definite - Jazz, Hornets, Knicks are possible but not very likely) so now would be the time, there are a bunch of candidates looking and we'd get a good deal

My favorites from this list are Snyder, Cassell, Atkinson, Griffin, and Vogel

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Use our two first round picks and trade up to draft Jalen Duren. Favorite prospect in this draft and looks like a perfect fit for this Hornets roster.

We need a rim protector and Duren has sky high potential to be an elite one.  He also has the quickness and athleticism to perform well when switching out on the perimeter.   Not sure if we'd have to trade up because his offensive game is so raw and might limit his draft stock (and is something we'd have to hope he can improve on), although he certainly could rise up the boards between now and the draft.  Not that it's necessarily a great source, but in their most recent mock (4/12/22) for example nbadraft.net has Duren going at #14 right between our two picks.

Another option would be Mark Williams. Honestly, he's a pretty similar prospect who is also projected to go in the teens somewhere around our picks.  Also has to work on his offensive game and is not quite the athlete Duren is, but still a good athlete and with even more length has just as much rim protection potential.

I think Walker Kessler could also be in play.  Another massive, long wingspan guy with elite rim protection abilities that needs to work on his offensive game.  Apparently projected to go in the 20s, so maybe a reach at 13 or 15.  

• Pie 1