• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David Newton: Jimmy Garoppolo "never has been high on the team radar because he's not considered much of an upgrade from [Sam] Darnold"

TheSpecialJuan

If they believe that Jimmy isn't much of an upgrade because they value arm strength and athleticism, then I understand.

If they believe that Jimmy isn't much of an upgrade because they think Sam is as capable of a decision maker or passer of the ball, then I hate this.

6 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

ESPN's David Newton writes that the Jimmy Garoppolo "never has been high on the team radar because he's not considered much of an upgrade from [Sam] Darnold."

Well, that's certainly a take. Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield are the two main veteran options connected to Carolina, and the Panthers absolutely have the cap space to make it happen. But they have neither the draft resources (no second or third this year) nor, apparently, the inclination to believe in either of those quarterbacks. This will be the main quarterback drama for draft weekend assuming nothing unexpected pops up. 

Garoppolo and Mayfield are both better quarterbacks than Darnold based on how they’ve performed in the league so far in their careers.

The only way you could possibly argue they are virtually the same, or that Darnold can do as much as them (if not more), is if Darnold is given the same caliber of supporting cast and coaching. At that point, maybe he could utilise the potential that saw him drafted third overall by the Jets, but based off his decision making that would be a big maybe. 

As for us not going after Garoppolo or Mayfield, I can understand that because we don’t feel they are the caliber of quarterback to elevate us simply by walking into the building. For example, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning etc, can take a team to the next level simply by being there. So it kinda makes sense for us to be looking for better if we have aspirations to compete for the play offs and championships. It also makes sense for us to acquire a cost effective option on the rookie pay scale rather than pay excessive amounts to quarterbacks we feel are average. 

10 hours ago, austin1227 said:

I dont want jimmy but you guys are delusional if you don't think he's way better than darnold

My guess is it’s not that they think he’s worse but just relieved they won’t waste picks or cap for Jimmy. Although he’s an improvement, he wouldn’t be the future and he’d lead them to what, two more wins? 

I'm sure Darnold would have been able to get and maintain the lead for 3 quarters while leading the 49ers to victory against the Rams, Packers, and Bengals in the 4th quarter or OT after the 49ers defense imploded late in those games. Darnold could have made all those plays to get the 49ers into the playoffs and one game away from the SB.

Sam Darnold doesn't need to prove he can do what Garoppolo has done because Rhule and company know he can while the rest of us just can't see it.

Darnold is obviously a playoff and SB QB. The team is just holding him back.

No, not really. He's Sam Darnold at the end of his rookie contract with no success to speak of in the NFL.

sam-darnold-jets.gif

100% I have watched more Niners games than anyone here. Jimmy G is trash. Arguing about whether or not he is better than Darnold is like arguing that your GMC Jimmy is more awesome than my Bronco II. We are both losers and neither is winning anything anytime soon. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Montsta said:

100% I have watched more Niners games than anyone here. Jimmy G is trash. Arguing about whether or not he is better than Darnold is like arguing that your GMC Jimmy is more awesome than my Bronco II. We are both losers and neither is winning anything anytime soon. 

The question has always been "better quarterbacks" or "quarterbacks on better teams".

I'm not convinced Garoppolo is appreciably better than...well, much of anyone.