• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - The Carolina Panthers select Ikem Ekwonu

Zod

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The worst kept secret in this draft was we were taking a tackle if any of the big 3 fell to us.  I listen to sports talk radio on the way to work in the morning and literally everyone said tackle was the pick at #6 if still there and the QB talk was mostly smoke out of the Panthers' camp (unless there was a run on OT).  When all 3 were there at #5, there was no reason for the Giants to fear someone jumping them at #7.  Also, how did they know we preferred Ickey over Neal?  We just as well could have drafted Neal. 

Again, it doesn't make sense, but I'm not complaining because I got my #1 rated player as a Panther.  I was just 99% sure Ickey would be gone by #6.

There was plenty of chatter that we'd trade down too, but everything depended on how the board fell.

The Giants had to go off what they knew, and I can't really blame them for that. Schoen played it smart.

Edited by Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There was plenty of chatter that we'd trade down too, but everything depended on how the board fell.

The Giants had to go off what they knew, and I can't really blame them for that. Schoen played it smart.

The Morgan/Schoen relationship might have played in as well. I don't know what the rules are but Morgan might have let Schoen less l know we had Ickey over Neal so Schoen would have known he was guaranteed of getting either Cross or Neal if he took Thib. 

I'd more say thank Houston than NYG.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The worst kept secret in this draft was we were taking a tackle if any of the big 3 fell to us.  I listen to sports talk radio on the way to work in the morning and literally everyone said tackle was the pick at #6 if still there and the QB talk was mostly smoke out of the Panthers' camp (unless there was a run on OT).  When all 3 were there at #5, there was no reason for the Giants to fear someone jumping them at #7.  Also, how did they know we preferred Ickey over Neal?  We just as well could have drafted Neal. 

Again, it doesn't make sense, but I'm not complaining because I got my #1 rated player as a Panther.  I was just 99% sure Ickey would be gone by #6.

Tackle was the obvious choice, but honestly I was afraid the top tackles would be on the board and we would draft Kayvon lol.  It just seemed like the most Matt Rhule move to make.

Glad that we got Ickey.

• Beer 1

16 hours ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

These are the kinds of people I want playing for the teams I pull for. I know a lot of people can support players on their team even when that player is an obvious jerkhole. I can't. At most I can do a Smitty who has his ups and downs, but who you at least can see is trying to be the best version of himself. Sounds like we got a stud for the OL AND the kind of person who is easy to cheer for. Can't ask for much more than that.

I think his family will become ambassadors for our team.

• Beer 1

On 5/1/2022 at 6:49 AM, 45catfan said:

What doesn't make sense is the Giants had their pick of ANY, repeat A-N-Y of the big 3 OTs.  We had no interest in a defensive player at #6.  So they could have easily taken the tackle of their choice at #5 and came back at #7 and still got Thibadeaux.  That's the very reason why EVERYONE was shocked that Ickey fell to us.

What if they drafted a tackle and some team that wanted Thibodeaux offered us a deal to move up ahead of the Giants?

At that point they lose out on Thibodeaux because someone has traded up above them. Not worth the risk when there are three legitimate top five pick tackles available. Might as well guarantee Thibodeaux and pick one of the tackles left.

Besides, they got the tackle that makes the most sense for them. Neal has experience at right tackle and they can pair him with their existing left tackle. Ekwonu and Cross mostly played left tackle, with Ekwonu playing some left guard. 

5 hours ago, Mike2.0 said:

What if they drafted a tackle and some team that wanted Thibodeaux offered us a deal to move up ahead of the Giants?

At that point they lose out on Thibodeaux because someone has traded up above them. Not worth the risk when there are three legitimate top five pick tackles available. Might as well guarantee Thibodeaux and pick one of the tackles left.

Besides, they got the tackle that makes the most sense for them. Neal has experience at right tackle and they can pair him with their existing left tackle. Ekwonu and Cross mostly played left tackle, with Ekwonu playing some left guard. 

With 2 of the 3 top tackles still on the board, I think there was little chance we would trade down.  I think taking a QB or trading back was only an option if Neal and Ekowonu were both off the board.

5 hours ago, MadHatter said:

With 2 of the 3 top tackles still on the board, I think there was little chance we would trade down.  I think taking a QB or trading back was only an option if Neal and Ekowonu were both off the board.

I’d tend to agree because we have a huge hole at LT. However, trades were flying in on draft night. So if Thibodeaux was available at #6 and a team offered us a boatload of picks to select him, then I could understand why we did it in order to stockpile draft picks to rebuild this team.