• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers going to deal for Baker or Jimmy G? Not so fast per Fowler (tonight)

ncfan

2 minutes ago, t96 said:

I could see both Jimmy or Baker AND a rookie QB here. Would require some maneuvering with Sam and basically getting Jimmy or Baker for free (which seems possible, they don't really have any value with their current contracts). But if you take a Willis or Howell they shouldn't be starting year 1, and I really hope we don't have to see Sam for another year. Grabbing Baker with the upfront expectation from both sides essentially that it's a 1 year arrangement for him to rehab his value and help get us to the playoffs and bridge to Willis would be a great situation if you ask me. I'm not a big Baker fan but with this OL and a healthy McCaffrey/Moore I think we could have an above average offense with Baker under center.

This crossed my mind and  I see a completely  different  Quarterback  room incoming. I kind of think Pj is definitely  gone at some point. 

Just now, Lurk21 said:

I've stated  this in other threads but use Derrick Brown and Robby in trades somehow.  I honestly  think thats the way we go to aquire  some capital. 

If we trade Brown we then have a glaring hole in the middle of the D.  Already need an MLB.  Teams would gash us up the middle all day. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, joemac said:

Man, this is the wrong draft to not have a couple high 2nd rounders.  I'd almost be tempted to make a stupid trade to move up to the top of the 2nd and grab Nakobe Dean and/or Malik Willis or Corral.  MLB and QB are our 2 biggest holes now.  Our only glaring holes really.  All of a sudden they have built a very nice roster.  If we can figure out the QB spot I really think we could make some noise this year. 

Seems like it happens every year. Some surprise 1st round picks mean there are some surprises still left on the board in the early 2nd.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

That taken a qb at 6 bs was just that, bs. Fowler is repeating the same smoke Fitterer was making yesterday.  

I just can't see them trading into the second round for any of these qb's. The cost would be inflated to the point that it's not worth it for a developmental guy.

Now in the 3rd I could see it if one is there that makes it worth the risk. But I really don't care at this point because we got our LT. I'm still in shock over that one.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, joemac said:

If we trade Brown we then have a glaring hole in the middle of the D.  Already need an MLB.  Teams would gash us up the middle all day. 

I would prefer not to trade Brown. He looked promising as a rookie then had a sophomore slump. I wouldn't give up on him yet unless it was a very strong offer.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I just can't see them trading into the second round for any of these qb's. The cost would be inflated to the point that it's not worth it for a developmental guy.

Look at some of the trade ups yesterday. The teams trading down usually weren't getting great value. More like Wal-Mart house brand generic Great Value.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, joemac said:

Add a vet from this list. I like Brown but he could be replaced by like 5 of these guys and a couple are still in their prime.  It's not like Brown was killing it. Ionadiss and Davion are going to be good but add Eddie or Larry etc and it's not that big a drop to me. Honestly  if Larry shows he is finally  healthy, you sign him to a prove it deal and bring him back home. Eddie, Danny and Sheldon all no downgrades either. 

Screenshot_20220429-074210_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Lurk21
  • Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Look at some of the trade ups yesterday. The teams trading down usually weren't getting great value. More like Wal-Mart house brand generic Great Value.

One could only hope that continues. I wouldn't count on it now that teams have had a chance to sleep on it.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I would not be shocked to see an early run on QBs tonight. I could see Willis, Howell, and Ridder all going in the first 10-12 picks. Possibly Corral too.

Yeah if they start flying off the board it's going to be too expensive to move up. If there's no movement by 40 we should be able to get back in at a reasonable cost. 

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah if they start flying off the board it's going to be too expensive to move up. If there's no movement by 40 we should be able to get back in at a reasonable cost. 

Here's why I think they're going to fly...

The top 10 picks in the 2nd round are:

Bucs

Vikings

Titans

Giants

Texans

Jets

Bears

Seahawks

Seahawks

Colts

Every team there minus the Jets and Bears could potentially pick a QB. I don't think the Bucs will since they picked a QB in the 2nd last year. I expect them to definitely field calls for that pick. The Vikings may delude themselves into trying to make a run with Cousins. I think they field calls too. I'll be surprised if the Giants and Seahawks DON'T take QBs. Maybe the Colts too. Teams later in the round will be looking at that too.

If this team trades *anything* other than a ham sandwich to move up and acquire one of the QBs we've been talking about I predict much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands by this time next year.  'Better than Darnold' is not a hard bar to clear but there's a long way between 'Better than Darnold' and 'Worth trading up for'.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1