• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers likely drafting a QB

Zod

Cole Kelley could be an option in the 4th and I feel is vastly underrated. He's got a small sample of work due to playing for a small school but he is 6'7 and 230 lbs and is athletic and has the arm. To me, listening to some of his interviews, he's a cross between Big Ben and Jake Delhomme.

• Pie 2
  • The D 1

9 minutes ago, davos said:

Right? I'm pretty darn confident we've got a top-12 line (playoff caliber) for him, better than he's ever had.  And with CMC (knock on wood) & DJ at his disposal, could make him feel like he's playing with Dynami and Javonte again.

Eh.....I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves on the OL. Even IF Ekwonu works out in year 1(a big if historically for LT's), I don't think the IOL exactly inspires confidence.

If we can just NOT be a bottom 10 unit, that's fine. IMO, we will still need to add guys at RG/LG and C in the next couple of offseasons.

Edited by kungfoodude

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His ceiling isn't the issue. If you knew you were getting his ceiling I think he's worth a high 2nd given the run on WRs yesterday. The issue is his floor and last anyone saw he was faceplanted on it.

2nd seems high.  I'd gladly take it.  But I'd be pissed if my team gave up a 2nd for Robby at this stage. 

9 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Eh.....I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves on the OL. Even IF Ekwonu works out in year 1(a big if historically for LT's), I don't think the IOL exactly inspires confidence.

If we can just NOT be a bottom 10 unit, that's fine. IMO, we will still need to add guys at RG/LG and C in the next couple of offseasons.

I mean, Corbett is here for a few years, our RG, young, proven and well above average, starting on a SB winning roster.  Him and Moton on the right side is as sound as you can ask for.

Bozeman was one of the better centers in the league and also plays LG at a very high level.  Ask any Ravens fan and they did NOT like seeing him go, well now they're fine because they got Linderbaum.

LG is the soft spot because I'm not sold on Christensen being a starter, rather solid depth.  But people overlook what having solid anchors on either side of a weak spot can do for the player.  If Elf is there at LG or C (depending on how we use Bozeman), he may actually perform a tad better with better talent around him.  Deonte is a long shot to make any sort of impact so I don't really factor him in.  Ekwonu is our LT.  Erving is swing depth.  We need to keep adding but man, we have come a long way in a short amount of time.  3 brand new starters along with Moton.  It's one spot, developmental guys and depth right now we need to keep working at.

And don't forget we actually have not just a competent, but a successful and proven OL coach in house.  That impact will be noticed.  There's been significant improvement in this department. 

Edited by davos
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, davos said:

I mean, Corbett is here for a few years, our RG, young, proven and well above average, starting on a SB winning roster.  Him and Moton on the right side is as sound as you can ask for.

Bozeman was one of the better centers in the league and also plays LG at a very high level.  Ask any Ravens fan and they did NOT like seeing him go, well now they're fine because they got Linderbaum.

LG is the soft spot because I'm not sold on Christensen being a starter, rather solid depth.  But people overlook what having solid anchors on either side of a weak spot can do for the player.  If Elf is there at LG or C (depending on how we use Bozeman), he may actually perform a tad better with better talent around him.  Deonte is a long shot to make any sort of impact so I don't really factor him in.  Ekwonu is our LT.  Erving is swing depth.  We need to keep adding but man, we have come a long way in a short amount of time.  3 brand new starters along with Moton.  It's one spot, developmental guys and depth right now we need to keep working at.

And don't forget we actually have not just a competent, but a successful and proven OL coach in house.  That impact will be noticed.  There's been significant improvement in this department. 

I mean....I remember hearing that about Paradis when we signed him too. We were all excited about it as one of the best centers and at his very best he was mediocre. 

None of these IOL inspire much confidence. Just a bunch of JAGS, IMO. But, that's still probably an improvement over last year's unit.

I look forward to actually improving that unit at some point.

14 minutes ago, CRA said:

I just think the are looking to add some excitment.  OL Is a great pick but it only sells with the hardcore crowd.  Panthers got a PR problem right now. 

I think it is likely would be a QB.  But I could see it not being one.  But I think that would then signal a move for Baker or Jimmy G to be added to the roster.   

Fitterer doesn't strike me as a guy who cares about "excitement".

He wants to build a winning foundation, and he's talked about how to do that.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Zappe is like Grier, if you want to replace your backup, go ahead. He’ll never be a real starter so it’s drafting a backup at best. Grier didn’t even amount to that.

Grier has/had a much much bigger arm then Zappe.  Zappe is smaller but much more accurate.  Grier had a tendency to float his throws.   If we go with zappe in the 4rth is 100% a back up situation.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....I remember hearing that about Paradis when we signed him too. We were all excited about it as one of the best centers and at his very best he was mediocre. 

None of these IOL inspire much confidence. Just a bunch of JAGS, IMO. But, that's still probably an improvement over last year's unit.

Paradis was coming off of a serious injury though. That was my big hang up on him.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Grier has/had a much much bigger arm then Zappe.  Zappe is smaller but much more accurate.  Grier had a tendency to float his throws.   If we go with zappe in the 4rth is 100% a back up situation.

I just think his physical limitations are going to be too much to overcome. Great small college QB who was fun as hell to watch at that level but I just think the ball is in the air too long at the NFL level.

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Short to intermediate level accuracy is more valuable in our scheme than a big arm.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Paradis was a question mark coming off a substantial injury.  People were hoping he could be his prime self.  I don't see how someone can look and call Bozeman or Corbett JAGs.  Especially Bozeman.  He's started nearly every game for Baltimore and been highly effective since 2018.  

Austin Corbett started the last two seasons for LAR, McVay brought him in to start alongside Whitworth Allen and Havenstein.  So he's played with top talent and was clearly relied on.  

I just don't see how you can consider them JAGs considering what we've been trotting out.

Furthermore, we have the GB o-line coach that coached the guys protecting Aaron for 10 years, helped develop an undersized 3rd rounder in Bakhtiari into one of the league's best LTs.  I just don't agree at all.

Edited by davos
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2